Club Arnage
April 29, 2024, 10:18:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ESPN Classic  (Read 5880 times)
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2006, 01:03:24 pm »

Hi
Not sure if you guys know  about this, I didn't, scanning through Sky channels last night and came asross the ESPN channel I watched the 1973 Brit GP with Revson winning and Hunt the rookie finishing 4th, big pile-up opening laps.

Worth keeping an eye on for future races. THis was in memory of Raymond Baxter who commentated. commentary in the latter stages included Graham Hill whose car had lost its steering rack!

>Martini...

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 04:30:56 pm »

On 442 Race is on again at 1600

>Martini...

Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 05:22:29 pm »

Thanks for the tip, watching it now.

Bringing a tear to my eye!

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Fax
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 05:57:46 pm »

I'm officially jealous about this one.  I've seen plenty of footage from Revvie's finest hour, but never the entire race.  The day Fletcher tried to fly, and ended up nose first against the pit wall triggering the mother & father of opening lap shunts.  The battle between Jackie and Superwede in the early laps was fantastic and Peter was able to exploit a light mid-race drizzle, and Ronnie Peterson's ill-handling Lotus to win by just a few feet from Ronnie, Denny Hulme, and a young James Hunt. This was also the day Hesketh Racing arrived as a serious threat despite the goofball image.  This was a vastly different Silverstone than seen today, blinding fast, not a slow corner anywhere.
Fax
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 06:16:00 pm »

Wonderful stuff, thanks again martini for pointing it out.

Fax, you would have loved it, no chicane at Woodcote, no catch fencing no gravel traps no debris fencing, just huge tyred F1 driven by the greats.

I want to get into my loft to find the program so I can get all misty eyed, as an 8 year old I was there, playing with my corgi cars in some dusty area while around me these guys risked it all.

Sobering to note, that while the race took place just over 30 years ago, none of the top five are still alive.

Heres to Revson, Peterson, Hulme, Hunt, Cevert. gone but not forgotten.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 06:31:27 pm »

http://www.deadgoodsport.co.uk/

Checked the listings for next week and it seems that it is on every week.

Next week, between the wrestling featuring the might Giant haystacks, big Daddy etc, its 74 and 75. worth checking it out for any other gems

H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 09:03:48 pm »

http://www.deadgoodsport.co.uk/

Checked the listings for next week and it seems that it is on every week.

Next week, between the wrestling featuring the might Giant haystacks, big Daddy etc, its 74 and 75. worth checking it out for any other gems

Can anyone burn a dvd for fax?

>Martini...

tkm271
CA Veteran

If its got tits or an engine, its going to cost ya

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 09:30:31 pm »

Thank you Martini, but reminds me that I've been meaning to ask on here if anyone knows if it is possible to make a video tape, or DVD, from something recorded on sky+. I've tried several times, but the result plays back dark then light, then dark again. Is is a special incription that prevents it being recopied?

Basically my sky+ is full of races that I don't want to loose, and I want to get them onto DVD or tape.

Help please
Fax
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 12:12:25 am »

Thanks Martin, if anyone can get a copy on VHS or DVD for me, I'll make it worth your time.  I've got a nice selection of GP's from the late seventies/early eighties I can copy in trade, or I also have the 1985-1989 Videovision Le Mans tapes I'll trade.
Fax
Fax
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 03:03:24 am »

Hi Nordic, as you say, Heroes All.  As mentioned many times before, GP drivers from that era were a different breed altogether.  Sad to lose Peter and Francois within a few month's of each other and Ronnie five years later.
But really strange to lose Denny and James of heart attacks within a few month's of each other in the early ninties.  I will go my own grave privileged to have seen them all race in person.  They don't make 'em like that anymore. Wink
Fax
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 06:58:46 pm »

Thanks Martin, if anyone can get a copy on VHS or DVD for me, I'll make it worth your time.  I've got a nice selection of GP's from the late seventies/early eighties I can copy in trade, or I also have the 1985-1989 Videovision Le Mans tapes I'll trade.
Fax

Hi fax,
I have checked tru the listings and it does not seem to be being repeated again this week.

If it comes round again I will put it onto a tape. It will be in PAL, will that work in the states?

H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Fax
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 03:42:27 am »

Hi Nordic,
Big thanks, yes I can use PAL tapes. Invested in a re-conditioned VCR that will play both NTSC and PAL tapes.
Seems to be far easier to find muti-format DVD players than it was to find VHS players, they tended to be quite expensive.  But as I said, found a used one in good shape.
Fax
paultarsey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 03:55:00 pm »

It brings a tear to my eye too!  I was there that day and remember it well.  Back in those days you paid a nominal sum for a 'Paddock Pass' which gave you full access to wander in around the transporter and the cars.  There were no serried ranks in straight lines.  The transporters were parked all over the place and the cars worked on in the open.  I even remember a Lotus being stood on its wheel sideways to enable the mechanics to work on the underside. 
Part of the benefit of the Paddock Pass was that you had access to stand on the gallery on top of the pits and it was there that I was standing as the Big Accident unfolded in front of me.  It was like a plain crash and very frightening.  These were the days before debris fencing and bits to keep parts attached to cars during an accident and there were wheels, wings and other assorted bits all over the place.  I remember having one of those "this could be very nasty" thoughts but no-one was seriously hurt except for Andres de Adamich who broke his ankles.
from The Old Git
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 08:47:34 am »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q3ZP6MQ9cTg&mode=related&search=

Found this clip of the start line crash from the 73GP.

H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 05:49:11 pm »

Interesting that Jody has always said he ran over some kind of fluid causing him to run wide at Woodcote.  The cars of course were grided over the portion of track and I suppose its possible.  If you ever get a chance to wacth the film "If your not winning, your not trying hard enough" Colin Chapman gives a terrific account of what he saw from the Lotus pits.
Fax
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: