Club Arnage
April 25, 2024, 07:18:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This is a really difficult question and you must know your Jaguars  (Read 7725 times)
lynxd67

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2007, 09:11:21 pm »

here's a photo I took in 1992 in Florida. If you know your Jaguars and know the history of a certain collection you'll get the answer, but - what is this car? And no, it isn't a Cunningham D type. This is a very tough question only for the Jaguar aficionados.
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 08:41:07 am »

Is it maybe a Jaguar XKSS with the indicator and 1/4 bumper removerd?

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 03:35:25 pm »

A real stab in the dark here, is it anything to do with Bob Tullius?

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 04:07:05 pm »

Struggling.  Costin Lister Jaguar?  Hmm...

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
lynxd67

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 05:06:35 pm »

It is really a trick question since in the guise shown it is a copy of the Cunningham D type, even down to a remanufactured copy of the original Lucas fuel injection system. However this photo was taken at Walter Hill's home in Florida and while it is here a D type (bodywork by RS Panels) underneath it is one of the 16 XKSS cars made. Needless to say, all the original parts were carefully kept and the car was transformed back last year to its correct shape. That lasted all of two months until the owner tried running it upside down in the Mille Miglia and now it is almost rebuilt - again. Walter had two XKSS' plus three C types, one D type and umpteen other really important Jaguars includin the Bob Tullius Group 44 XJR's. So two of you were very much in the right area.
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 06:32:43 pm »

Cool, Walter Hill has got some of my favourite cars of all time. There was a tribute to Bob Tullius at Sebring a couple of years ago. Steve Brown, who will probably be along soon, took some nice shots of his (mainly) Jags.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 06:56:05 pm »

Cool, Walter Hill has got some of my favourite cars of all time. There was a tribute to Bob Tullius at Sebring a couple of years ago. Steve Brown, who will probably be along soon, took some nice shots of his (mainly) Jags.

I did? 

Arh, just had a look.  How about this E-type.

Steve East Anglian cobras

lynxd67

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 07:52:22 pm »

Walter's collection was sold a year back for a cool $10 million. I have hours of tapes talking to him about his collection and I remember well him saying that the sale of the low drag coupé, CUT 7, at Monaco in 1990 paid for the whole of his collection. If you want I'll post mopre photos of his collection - I  scanned the negs ages back and they are all on computer.
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 08:35:50 am »

Is it the case that there are two 'cut 2' low drag coupes. The original no longer has the 'cut 2' number plate, that is fitted to a replica that is often seen at Goodwood.

http://rupert8766.fotopic.net/p19889149.html

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
lynxd67

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 08:46:15 pm »

Well, to start with the number is CUT 7, and yes there are two in existance. Dick Protheroe had originally an E type coupé and transferred the number to the low drag coupé when he sold the first car. The original, with a blue nose, still wears the number CUT 7 when it races as does the true low drag owned by Michael Cowdray. However, there is a gentlemen's agreement between the two owners that if both are racing at the same course the same weekens then the low drag coupé takes precedence and the other removes the plate. As regards low drag coupés, there were several including the Lumsden Sargent car 49 FXN (also owned by Michael Cowdray) which has a much longer nose. Here are photos of the three. Don't also forget the Lindner Knocker car too.

Lumsden Sargent car with long nose

Cut 7 low drag coupé at the chicane Goodwood 2006

Original CUT 7 coupé in pits at Le Mans 2004

Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 09:38:46 pm »

Cut 2, wthf was i thinking!!

Here is another shoot of 49 fxn, taken this year at Goodwood. sadly the car non started due to damage.

http://rupert8766.fotopic.net/p33274594.html
the car also carries this rather unsual sticker on the rear window!

Never race witha full scrotum!

I have somewhere a picture of a white and blue LD coupe that I took at Le Mans during a parade sometime in the mid 80's.

H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
lynxd67

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2007, 10:32:05 am »

Sadly it didn't. The photo above was taken during Friday practice but a Weber ingested a stone which didn't do much good to the piston, valves or cylinder. Pity too - it was running extremely well.
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2007, 12:26:02 pm »

I have somewhere a picture of a white and blue LD coupe that I took at Le Mans during a parade sometime in the mid 80's.

Here it is, I took this in about 83 or 84 I think.

http://rupert8766.fotopic.net/p39279073.html

Is it a low drag Coupe?

H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
lynxd67

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2007, 03:52:21 pm »

That is one of the 12 lightweight E types with a complete alloy moncoque and alloy block Lucas fuel injected engine, not a low drag. All the lightweights had a hard top. This is the second lightweight made and supplied to Briggs Cunningham in 1963 hence the colour, did the 12 hours Sebring (8th) then Le Mans (retired). Later belonged to JCB (Anthony Bamford) and was sold in 1991 for £1.2 million. No idea who owns it now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: