Club Arnage
April 27, 2024, 05:52:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brittainy Ferries Pricing Madness.  (Read 3599 times)
Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

I'd rather have another Tropillama!

View Profile WWW
« on: May 06, 2007, 05:25:07 pm »

I just tough that to satisfy my curiosity I'd compare prices for the week before Le Mans. 

It seems that Brittany Ferries sell the crossings in bizarre ways.

If I get a quote for a crossing of Out on the 12th at 23:00 return on 18th at 09:00.

If I just go for a reclining seat I get the following deal.

===============================================
Outbound Ferry                  Price
Vehicle and Passengers          99.00 GBP
Reclining seat          1       5.00 GBP

Inbound Ferry                   Price
Vehicle and Passengers          153.00 GBP
Website discount                -10.00 GBP

Total   247.00 GBP
===============================================

However,  If I go for a Cabin.

==================================================
Outbound Ferry                          Price
Vehicle and Passengers                  165.00 GBP
Inside 2 berth cabin             1       59.00 GBP

Inbound Ferry                   Price
Vehicle and Passengers                  255.00 GBP

Website discount                        -10.00 GBP

Total   469.00 GBP
==================================================

I thought no this is wrong.  So I called and yes it's right.

Because your paying an extra £59 for the cabin the cost of the outward journey goes up by £66 and the cost of the return trip goes up by £102.

t.

La Légend s` écrit sous vos yeux.
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 08:41:01 pm »

The phrase "Sting the rich" come to mind.  But that'll be next week with a new PM.

Its all absolute madness.  £469 is a joke, and an even bigger one with a caravan.

LDLines  £240 the lot.  Difficult choice that one

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Pilgrim
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 08:50:35 pm »

I think it depends a lot on what you can afford and are willing to pay and also on whether or not you have a vehicle.

For me personally, as I live in Plymouth and am travelling on foot this year, it makes sense to go from Plymouth rather than Portsmouth. The fare for a foot passenger is probably less than the train far to Portsmouth and back plus a ferry ticket.

There's also the advantage that, on the return trip, I'll be hot, tired, sweaty and aching and I'll still be able to step off the ferry and be home in ten minutes by cab, rather than facing a long train journey with all my kit to carry.

Although I do agree that Brittany Ferries are probably the most expensive ferry tickets to France, especially when compared to LD Lines or Transmanche.
Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 11:13:10 pm »

I think it depends a lot on what you can afford and are willing to pay and also on whether or not you have a vehicle.

I think willing to pay is the only thing that comes in to play.  If you can't afford it then you not in a position to be willing to pay.

For me personally, as I live in Plymouth and am travelling on foot this year, it makes sense to go from Plymouth rather than Portsmouth. The fare for a foot passenger is probably less than the train far to Portsmouth and back plus a ferry ticket.

Yes it does make sense for you to do that.   It looks like it's about a £80 for you to go as foot passenger.

There's also the advantage that, on the return trip, I'll be hot, tired, sweaty and aching and I'll still be able to step off the ferry and be home in ten minutes by cab, rather than facing a long train journey with all my kit to carry.

Now this is the real question.  What value do you put on being able to take the 10 minute Cab ride.    Previously I've always paid the extra to aviod the driving  involved in the Dover Calias crossing.  However, this year they have over stepped the mark.  £350 + a night in a Hotel say €85 is more than I'm willing to pay.    Going via the tunnel cost me £250 less in Channel crossing costs but £60 more in Petrol and 6 hours extra driving.

If your crossing was £150 more than the cost of using say Eurostar would you pay it? 

t.

termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 09:00:31 am »

It's interesting because I get free first class rail travel in the UK and half price here.  However, I invariably use the car because I just hate carrying luggage.  When I lived in the UK, I always used the train to go to London, but anywhere else it was always the car.  No matter what the cost, the car's just more convenient.  Now of course, I can't smoke on the train so a long trip's a pain. I also just love to drive, especially long distances.

The o/h on the other hand, would never drive if there was a train available as an alternative.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 10:20:52 am »

It's interesting because I get free first class rail travel in the UK and half price here.  However, I invariably use the car because I just hate carrying luggage.  When I lived in the UK, I always used the train to go to London, but anywhere else it was always the car.  No matter what the cost, the car's just more convenient.  Now of course, I can't smoke on the train so a long trip's a pain. I also just love to drive, especially long distances.

The o/h on the other hand, would never drive if there was a train available as an alternative.

Yes going by car has lots of advantages.  I often go to London in the car.  Since the Congestion Charge you can find parking easily.  To me the big advantage is you don't have to stand in an underground or train for the best part of an hour.

The point I was trying to make is the bizzare prices for the ferry.    I have done some more diggin on thier site.  As a foot Passenger you can't get a cabin on the outward leg.   But you can if you have a car.   I don't have a problem with the cabin costing £59 it's the massive hike in the cost of the Car and passengers I can't handle.   Why is it £102 more to travel back if you had a cabin on the way out?

t.

Pilgrim
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 12:39:21 pm »

I think willing to pay is the only thing that comes in to play.  If you can't afford it then you not in a position to be willing to pay.

Yes it does make sense for you to do that.   It looks like it's about a £80 for you to go as foot passenger.

Now this is the real question.  What value do you put on being able to take the 10 minute Cab ride.    Previously I've always paid the extra to aviod the driving  involved in the Dover Calias crossing.  However, this year they have over stepped the mark.  £350 + a night in a Hotel say €85 is more than I'm willing to pay.    Going via the tunnel cost me £250 less in Channel crossing costs but £60 more in Petrol and 6 hours extra driving.

If your crossing was £150 more than the cost of using say Eurostar would you pay it? 

I'd go with whatever was cheapest and most convenient.

It costs less for me to leave from Plymouth than go via Portsmouth or the Chunnel at the moment, so I go via Plymouth. If it cost a lot more then I'd find another route as I'm going with limited funds at the moment. I have enough to get me there and back and survive while I'm there.

Regarding convenience, as I live in Plymouth it means all I have to do is get a taxi to and from the ferry terminal rather than haul all my gear across to Portsmouth or Dover and then on to Le Mans from there. It'd take a pretty major increase in ferry prices for me to find the extra inconvenience worth the effort needed.

DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 12:40:30 pm »

Try it as two single journeys, Tom, rather than a return.

Would be interested in the result.

Del

Team Delboy Racing
Black Granny
CA Veteran

Please give generously, You know it makes sense!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 12:47:46 pm »

Another trick is to book without a cabin and then go straight to reception on boarding and book one there. There is always a chance that there are non left, but normally only when the it's a popular crossing.

PS I'm using Transmanche even though I'm only 6 miles from the Portsmouth Ferry port as the cost is over £200 cheaper.

Mines a Gin & Tonic
Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 01:00:15 pm »

Try it as two single journeys, Tom, rather than a return.

Would be interested in the result.

Del

I tried that and thats expensive too. I think the Reclining seat price is a "Package" price.

The woman I spoke to on the phone said.  "It a peak time beacuse of Le Mans". 
I relpied "I know thats where I'm going".
She said "Well you could go some other time". 

She was obviously Blonde.

t.

Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 01:01:32 pm »

Another trick is to book without a cabin and then go straight to reception on boarding and book one there. There is always a chance that there are non left, but normally only when the it's a popular crossing.

PS I'm using Transmanche even though I'm only 6 miles from the Portsmouth Ferry port as the cost is over £200 cheaper.

Yes that does work well.  I've had success with that several times.

t.

Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 02:02:47 pm »

Same reason why I did not go to Isle of Man TT. Had to pay 240 for Hook to Harwich, plus an additional 185 for Heysham to Douglas with Steam Packet.

Those are prices for 1 person on a motorbike, without the small trailer I wanted to take. One month earlier would be less than 35% of above prices! Angry

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: