Club Arnage
March 29, 2024, 02:47:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Start Time?  (Read 4996 times)
rcutler
« on: July 08, 2007, 11:26:03 pm »

OK, I don't know the answer to this but:-

What was the reason for the original 1600 start time?

This is inlight of the possible change to 1500 now.
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 11:38:55 pm »

Probably started after the Fench had finished lunch Grin

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Smoky
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 09:48:29 pm »

Well - according to The Le Mans 24-Hour Race 1949-1973, publ. 1974, in October 1922, Charles Faroux and Emile Coquille met with Georges Durand "to discuss a new form of motoring event based on endurance rather than speed, which was to demonstrate the reliability of the cars, and bring about essential improvements.  Electrical systems then left much to be desired and tyres were still far from robust.  Faroux proposed a race for touring cars - as catalogued - lasting 8 hours, 4 in daylight, 4 in darkness, whereupon Durand cried "Why not 24 Hours?" ".
Although that doesn't really answer your question, I suspect a 4 pm start allows for marshalls etc to meet and get into position in good daylight, and allows time for people to get home afterwards.  It gives a fair time in daylight and night.  The race is not always held close to the longest day - so this would give even time to day and night driving regardless of when held.
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 11:56:26 am »

Probably started after the Fench had finished lunch Grin
Certainly the 3 o'clock start meant we missed a lot of the build-up this year because we were still eating!

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
championaudi
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 09:52:28 pm »

and apart from the topless carwash nr the expo it caused us a few anxious moments whether we were gunna see the start!!
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 12:10:13 am »

and apart from the topless carwash nr the expo it caused us a few anxious moments whether we were gunna see the start!!

Is it the 'Murdock' sysndrome?.  Over the lat 10 years, start times have changed....... French tennis,.....Football World Cup etc, etc.  Hey, This started before they invented those things.  Why should we change!

Regsrding the carwash, as posted earlier for a few euros they go topless.  So if they are there next year, my car will be topless as well!  Or perhaps I'm just a dirty old man and pervert1111

Trouble is, whatever the brain thinks, it does not think of body capabilities!!!!!

Jerry

At my age, it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, growing old is compulsary, but growing up is just optional.

I don't do GREEN, I've got a 4x4
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: