Club Arnage
April 26, 2024, 11:50:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Classic vs 'The 24 Hours'  (Read 10575 times)
mal
CA Veteran

We are the Flying Baguettes!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 09:12:52 am »

I would love to do the classic but I wouldnt give up the 24 for it. I wish they would move it into the school holidays then I would take the family and do Le Mans in a more relaxed style.
Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 10:04:32 am »

It's a dilemma next year isn't it?!   

Not really, I'll do both again but on the bike for the Classic as I don't have to bring all the crap down I usually do as we stay in an auberge Grin

Rusty

It is if you add Spa into the equation  Grin
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 10:30:30 am »

Well, the 24 hours race is a MUST for me and nothing except force majeure could keep me from going there. However, next year I'm planning to do both. A friend of mine has bought a Triumph TR5 and we will take this car down to the LM Classic - hope it will make the 500 mile journey from Cologne...

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
vqdave
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

world humbering

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 10:32:08 am »

I would love to do the classic as well as the 24, but not too sure MrsDave and Dave's jr (x2 by then) would agree with my thinking.

Looks like just the 24 unless a miracle happens.

Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2007, 11:58:54 am »

I would love to do the classic as well as the 24, but not too sure MrsDave and Dave's jr (x2 by then) would agree with my thinking.

I was kinda hoping you would be going down in an Alfa Bertie convoy with us guys. Its only Friday morning to Monday morning- start working on them now and you'll be there. (Says the man who will probably be bludgeoned to death for asking for two LM pass outs in one year) Grin

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2007, 05:49:00 pm »

So are you going to any other races to make up for no Spa, Le Mans or SEBRING! Grin

Pretty sure on the Classic and may even do some euro bike races.

>Martini...

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2007, 06:32:35 pm »

Its a really hard choice to have to make. But we think that the alternative year soloution is the best, at least until we are able to convince those that hold the purse strings 2 trips per year are viable.

Is it as hard to get camping tickets for the classic as the true 24 hours?

Assuming Dr Sconefinger is not under his patio it sounds like a good number of you will also be there.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2007, 08:37:19 pm »

What campsites are open for the Classic?

Where everyone staying?

At my age, it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, growing old is compulsary, but growing up is just optional.

I don't do GREEN, I've got a 4x4
Cobra Andy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2007, 08:53:21 pm »

The cobra club attend the classic 'en masse' about 60 of us last year and probably a few more next.
As an avid LM devotee, I can honestly say its the classic for me every time, did the main race several years but really got fed up with the non racing activities, have to say the classic is more like the main race was about 5-6 years ago but with fewer people.
No theft, relaxing, leave your campsite in the knowlege that it will all still be there when you get back Cool, that kind of thing.
Oh and heaven forbid we also take the ladies Roll Eyes...... a lot less grief when you want that pass out. Grin
Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2007, 09:02:08 pm »

Last time it was easy to get tickets for camping at the Classic.  Originally it was just MB open but I think fairly near the last minute they started selling another site, presumably as there was still demand.  I might be wrong but I think it was Karting Nord?   Presumably it had to be one of the inner sites that they own. 

It's a crap event though, you really wouldn't want to go, please just do the 24 and don't waste your time on the Classic  Wink
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2007, 10:21:30 am »

Yes, it was Karting Nord and tickets were still available from the Rottunder thingy on the day (about 70 euro I think). KN was lacking in atmos somewhat and the guys over in MB looked to be having more fun although it was all too quiet by 2am.   
 I agree that it was all very crap and should be avoided like the plague!
 Psssst- see you there Piglet.

Dick Dasterdly was right
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2007, 10:34:24 am »

It is my understanding that tickets for next years classic go on sale at the end of the month and as this event gets more popular I was wondering if it would be a good idea to work out whos going an put in a block booking like Termie did for the 24hr? Last time round early bookers got Grandstand seats thrown in, also by the time I got my ass into gear all the MB tickets had gone too.
 What do you think?

Dick Dasterdly was right
garyfrogeye
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a messy Houx Annexer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2007, 12:00:11 pm »

I'd really like to go to the classic too as I much prefer seeing the cars i grew up watching racing around Le Mans rather than "wind tunnel" sculpted Audis,  but I'd never give up the Big 24 hours over the Classic in terms of friends and atmosphere.
I would however think seriously about a friday afternoon departure from London and a blast through france in the Frogeye to arrive Saturday early hours, followed by a monday morning return journey.

If I was you, I wouldn't start from here
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2007, 12:07:38 pm »

It is my understanding that tickets for next years classic go on sale at the end of the month and as this event gets more popular I was wondering if it would be a good idea to work out whos going an put in a block booking like Termie did for the 24hr? Last time round early bookers got Grandstand seats thrown in, also by the time I got my ass into gear all the MB tickets had gone too.
 What do you think?
Assuming that the ACO are acting as the ticket office and that I don't have to deal with any money, I'm happy to do the same again.  I'll keep an eye on the site but if anybody else hears first that sales have begun..

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
vqdave
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

world humbering

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2007, 12:22:52 pm »

I'd really like to go to the classic too as I much prefer seeing the cars i grew up watching racing around Le Mans rather than "wind tunnel" sculpted Audis,  but I'd never give up the Big 24 hours over the Classic in terms of friends and atmosphere.
I would however think seriously about a friday afternoon departure from London and a blast through france in the Frogeye to arrive Saturday early hours, followed by a monday morning return journey.

Late friday departure is pretty much what i do for the big 24 in June and it works well for me, i get to le sarthe around 4 am, no great rush, just a serene cruise through the night with no traffic problems and a stop in rouen for muchos espresso to keep me going.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: