Club Arnage
April 28, 2024, 12:03:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: F1 - Comments  (Read 28475 times)
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« on: September 13, 2007, 07:22:29 pm »

Just heard, F1 & McLaren - BBC Radio 5.

Fair or a joke

No constructor points and the fine $100 million

McLaren out of constructors championship 07 and will be checked at the start of 08

Views?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 07:25:50 pm by nopanic - neil » Logged

If you're going through hell, keep going.
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 07:45:11 pm »

Has hit the BBC Sport website too

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/6991147.stm

I'll reserve judgement until more of the whys and wherefores have been revealed.  I imagine that there will be an appeal, as the constructor's championship points will be what are most dear to Uncle Ron's heart, although that is a stonkingly big fine.  And if the drviers retain their points, but McLaren cannot score constructor's points, will McLaren cars be allowed to contest the remaining races?

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 07:49:01 pm »

Yes (heard it on Radio 4 though!)

The facts seem to be a bit muddyed at the moment.  Can they (or their sponsors) afford that kind of hit?

Steve East Anglian cobras

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 08:05:25 pm »

I'm not sure whether any new facts have emerged since the postponement of it all until today, but there's certainly precedents for the FIA not only slinging a constructor out of a championship, but also stopping them racing.  Tyrrell in 84/85 were slung out over the "ballast" affair and as far as I can remember were not allowed to run at all for the last few races in 84 and throughout 85, and Toyota similarly in 95 and 96 in the WRC over the illegal turbos), but I don't remember if there were any large fines involved, beyond losing a share of gate/travel money etc.  They were slung out for cheating, and depending on the evidence in this case, if that has been proven against McLaren, one way to look at it is that they are fortunate not to have been excluded from 2008 altogether.

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
nickliv
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 08:11:58 pm »

Does anyone else think it's strange thay things perpetually go Ferrari's way?

Dirk3D_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Fussballing for Holland!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 08:19:16 pm »

at least it is a good time to get a fine in dollars, exchange rates are quite good at the moment Cool
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 08:21:45 pm »

Really?  Never......

More titbits here on the ITV F1 site http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=40651

Particualrly theese two bits:

“Furthermore, the team will pay a fine equal to $100m, less the FOM income lost as a result of the points deduction."  So it will still be big, but not $100m.

“However, due to the exceptional circumstances in which the FIA gave the team’s drivers an immunity in return for providing evidence, there is no penalty in regard to drivers’ points." Hmmmmm....

MG Mark

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 08:33:25 pm »

it's all very sad, as one commentator said last week "they all deserve one another". 
Its a very sad day Embarrassed

Well said - whatever the rights and wrongs turn out to be in the case, it does the sport absolutely no good at all - it affects motorsport teams, drivers, fans and spreads out way beyond the sport.  I can think of some Christmas card lists that wil be having a few names and addresses struck out......

MG Mark

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 08:47:44 pm »

Latest being reported on the ITV F1 site:

"Ferrari is satisfied that the truth has now emerged."

"The FIA has said that it will release more details of the evidence at the centre of the case tomorrow."

"McLaren is due to respond to the outcome of the hearing in a press conference this evening." (supposed to be at 7.15 I think)

Oh no....Aaargh... I've just thought what the "cock" is going to be expounding about all weekend during this weekend at Spa.....  Mind you, wasn't Martin Brundle one of the drivers involved in the Tyrrell ban - that might make for some interesting comments!

MG Mark

Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 09:23:47 pm »

Once again, a telling commentary on how low F1 has slunk.  At least Hamilton and Alonso haven't been chucked out of the championship.  But it's all really very pathetic.  This is the pinnacle of the sport?
Fax
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 10:09:49 pm »

This is the pinnacle of the sport?
Fax

Allegedly so - although I like to think that the slim 0.3 second gap between Gronhom and Loeb at the last rally, over 200+ stage miles, in a WRC event sits rather higher in the excitement, achievement and sports annals than this utter balls up.

MG Mark

nickliv
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 10:44:35 pm »

I'll be watching on the TV this weekend, but I'll be watching the circuit, not the circus. Roll Eyes
keithk
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 07:40:15 am »

It's my opinion they McLaren should just up sticks and walk away then lets see how F1 gets on with two red cars driving under team orders to decide the championship this year! McLaren and Lewis have filled grandstands and made people switch their tv's back on and watch the Bernie circus this year. F1 was just getting out of its totally pointless mode and we just begun to see a spark off life, but I feel that's gone or to quote an old surgeons expression "The operation was a success but the patient died!"

Long live sports cars and no politics and German cars that never break just have driver errors or loose wheels or French cars that break the rules on final lap and then tell every one and don't get penalised. but that's only "my" opinion!!!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 07:42:37 am by keithk » Logged
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 08:54:56 am »

Interesting to see what the FIA press release says today. One assumes that Ferrari will be punished as it was their employee who leaked the info? Or has max and the fia forgotten that Huh

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
JDS
Club Arnage Demi God

Moi, enivré? Sûrement que vous me moquez monsieur?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 09:00:09 am »

Strange that, just discussing at work this morning - is there actually an example of Ferrari being penalised by the FIA Huh?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: