Club Arnage
April 20, 2024, 06:15:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chatham Historic Dockyard  (Read 3212 times)
Nobby Diesel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2007, 11:19:32 pm »

I dropped in there today. I'm sure some of the old sea dogs on here know far more about it than me, but what a great place to spend a few hours.

After a quick tour around a sub, I now have absolute and total admiration and respect for Sub Mariners.

There's also a great display of RNLI boats. It's difficult to imagine the older boats setting out in awful conditions, under oar power only. Tough people.

There's a big 1940's weekend on tomorrow and Sunday. There is some great looking old iron arriving!

£12.50 for a years pass. Good value.

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 12:56:28 am »

I dropped in there today. I'm sure some of the old sea dogs on here know far more about it than me, but what a great place to spend a few hours.

After a quick tour around a sub, I now have absolute and total admiration and respect for Sub Mariners.

There's also a great display of RNLI boats. It's difficult to imagine the older boats setting out in awful conditions, under oar power only. Tough people.

There's a big 1940's weekend on tomorrow and Sunday. There is some great looking old iron arriving!

£12.50 for a years pass. Good value.

I agree that it's a brilliant place. Last time unable to visit the rope making building (loft) though it is 1000yards in length.

HMS Ganet, what memories I have. She was moored on the Hamble and was part of the 'Establishment' of Training Ship Mercury. Yep, 3 1/2 years I spent living between her and shore base.

It is really nice to see her the she was in her splendour, I just wish she was that way when I treaded the timbers.

At my age, it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, growing old is compulsary, but growing up is just optional.

I don't do GREEN, I've got a 4x4
JDS
Club Arnage Demi God

Moi, enivré? Sûrement que vous me moquez monsieur?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 02:48:45 pm »

It only 10 mins away form us when we're in the UK and as is often the caes with thibngs on your doorstep, we never seem to go there. Last time we went was about 5 years ago but I still remember the rope making, supurb thing to watch.
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 02:58:55 pm »

I lived in Gillingham briefly (but not briefly enough!) and used to pass the old dockyard every day.  It was pretty much derilict at the time so its good to hear that they have made something of the place now.

F
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 06:13:43 pm »

I lived in Gillingham briefly (but not briefly enough!)

Gillingham? You lived in Gillingham? That explanes a lot Fran. The Gimp just left there. It's a shame he never visited the museum but he's less of a Navy "Rum-Buggery-Lash" merchant and more of an RAF "Ramjet Fly-Boy".

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
JDS
Club Arnage Demi God

Moi, enivré? Sûrement que vous me moquez monsieur?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 06:25:09 pm »

I lived in Gillingham briefly
Ohh... where? I was born in Rainham (thankfully just far enough outside of Gillingham) but have also since escaped ....  Grin
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 07:01:09 pm »

I'm from the Isle of Sheppey, and went to one of the last Summer Balls at Chatham.  The Navy catering school was at Chatham, so it was a hell of a spread, and the drinks were duty free (not that I paid).  And about 2 am, a caravan appeared dishing out Chinese food

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 08:41:13 pm »

Oh dear - maybe its time for the full confession!

I lived in a wooden hut on Allhallows beach for 10 months, followed by a brief time in a squat in the Isle of Grain, then "upgraded" to a bedsit in Marlborough Road Gillingham, then bought a house in Rainham - Parkwood - I believe at the time it was the biggest housing estate in Europe!

I have to say it wasnt the happiest 4 years of my life - but all part of the learning experience!  Undecided

F
Nobby Diesel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 11:08:56 pm »

I lived in Gillingham briefly (but not briefly enough!) and used to pass the old dockyard every day.  It was pretty much derilict at the time so its good to hear that they have made something of the place now.

F

I was actually on the way to Gillingham when I stopped off at Chatham.

Gillingham - geez, what a khazi.

A truly horrible place.

Still, the best place in the world, when it comes to wheel refurbs! Better than new, they are.

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
Cobra Andy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 10:23:38 pm »

There is a very large steam and car event every easter weekend at the dockyard, well worth a days visit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: