Club Arnage
March 28, 2024, 09:56:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Motoring innovation at Le Mans  (Read 11780 times)
Oliver71

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2008, 06:38:33 pm »

Wonder if anyone can help me. I am trying to find facts for which major motoring innovations were first tested/introduced at Le Mans. I have heard that headlights were first tested at Le Mans in 1923, Superchargers in 1929, and Disc Brakes in 1953. Are you aware of any others? I heard windscreen wipers were first tested there as well, but then I learned they have been around for longer.

Any facts or links are really appreciated. Thx, O
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 10:34:58 am »

This is from Wiki

Innovations
Over its lifetime, Le Mans has seen many types of innovations in automotive design in order to counteract some of the difficulties that the circuit and race present. These innovations have either been dictated by rules or have been attempts by manufacturers to outwit the competition. Some of these innovations have made their way into the common automobile and are used nearly every day.

[edit] Aerodynamics

A Porsche 908 Langheck, German for Long Tail.One of the keys to Le Mans is top speed, caused by the long straights that dominate the circuit. This has meant that cars have attempted to achieve the maximum speeds possible instead of relying on downforce for the turns. While early competitors cars were street cars with their bodywork removed to reduce weight, innovators like Bugatti developed cars which saw the beginnings of aerodynamics. Nicknamed Tanks due to their similarity to a tank, these cars used simple curves to cover all the mechanical elements of the car and increase top speed. Once Le Mans returned after World War II, most manufacturers would adopt closed bodies which were streamlined for better aerodynamics. This led to a separation from Grand Prix cars, which rarely had large bodywork.

As the years went on, bodywork became larger while at the same time lighter. The larger bodywork was able to provide more downforce for the turns without increasing the drag, allowing cars to maintain the high top speeds. These extended bodyworks would usually concentrate on the rear of the car, usually being termed long tail. The bodywork also began to cover the cockpit for less drag, although open cockpits would come and go over the years as rules varied. Aerodynamics reached its peak in 1989 before the Mulsanne Straight was modified. During the 1988 race, the crew of a W.M. prototype taped over the engine openings and set a recorded speed of 404 km/h (251 mph) down the Mulsanne in an attempt for some publicity, although the car was nearly undrivable elsewhere on the circuit and the engine was soon destroyed from a lack of cooling. However, for the 1989 event, the Mercedes-Benz C9 reached 399 km/h (248 mph) under qualifying conditions.

[edit] Engines

An early supercharged Bentley.A wide variety of engines have competed at Le Mans, in attempts to not only achieve greater speed but also to have better fuel economy and spend less time in the pits. Engine sizes have also varied greatly, with the smallest engines being a mere 569 cc (Simca Cinq) and the largest upwards of 7986 cc (Chrysler Viper GTS-R). Supercharging was an early innovation for increasing output, first being raced in 1929, while turbocharging would not appear until 1974.

The first car to enter without an engine run by pistons would be in 1963, when Rover partnered with British Racing Motors to run a gas turbine with mixed success, repeating again in 1965. The American Howmet Corporation would attempt to run a turbine again in 1968 with even less success. Although the engines offered great power, they were notoriously hot and uneconomical for fuel.

Another non-piston engine that would appear would be a Wankel engine, otherwise known as the rotary engine. Run entirely by Mazda since its introduction in 1970, the compact engine would also suffer from fuel economy problems like the turbine had, yet would see the success that the turbine lacked. After many years of development, Mazda finally succeeded in being the only winner of the race to not have a piston-powered engine, taking the 1991 event with the 787B.

Alternative fuel sources would also play a part in more normal engine designs, with the first non-gasoline car appearing in 1949. The Delettrez Special would be powered by a diesel motor, while a second diesel would appear in the form of the M.A.P. the following year. Although diesel would appear at other times over the race existence, it would not be until 2006 when a major manufacturer, Audi, would invest in diesels and finally succeed, with the R10.

Ethanol fuel appeared in 1980 in a modified Porsche 911, taking a class win. The alternative biological fuel source would return again 2003 with Team Nasamax, leading to the ACO deciding that the 2008 event will see all cars running partial mixtures of bio-ethanol fuel.

[edit] Brakes
With increased speeds around the track, brakes become a key innovation for teams attempting to safely bring their cars down to a slow enough speed to make turns such as Mulsanne Corner. Disc brakes were first seen on a car when the Jaguar C-Type raced at Le Mans in 1953. The Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR would introduce the concept of an air brake in 1955, using a large opening hood on the rear of the car.

In the 1980s, anti-lock braking systems would become standard on most Group C cars as a safety measure, ensuring that cars did not lose control while still moving at approximately 320 km/h. By the late 1990s, reinforced carbon-carbon brakes would be adapted for better stopping power and reliability.

But I'm sure there's loads more info' out there.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
bullitt5435

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 06:41:53 am »

Mercedes used airbrakes in the 50's there, which led to Jim Hall's adjustable wing, and then wings in general.
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 12:54:19 am »

Triumph TR4, first car with independent all round suspension.

At my age, it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, growing old is compulsary, but growing up is just optional.

I don't do GREEN, I've got a 4x4
Mr Termite

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 10:55:25 pm »

I have a feeling that the former, now much reduced-in-scope Mulsanne straight must have featured in automotive aerodynamic development, but Google isn't doing the biz for me in sheer facts. What I think I recall reading years ago is that American Richie Ginther (who died while on holiday with his family in 1989 - in France!) was offered a photo of his car (presumably a Ferrari 250TR, in 1960) at speed. When he looked at the photo he assumed he was braking, 'cos the nose was well down, but the photographer assured him he was at full chat. Ginther had been in the Korean war, and seemed to have some idea about aerodynamic theory, which led him to suggest to Ferrari that Professor Wunibald Kamm's theory of aerodynamics needed to be applied to the 250TR61 - and lo! it was! Thus I think the '61 LM Ferraris were the first racers to have spoilers above a chopped tail, although Sebring '61 would have been their first outing.

Someone like Fax will have a lot more on this, I suspect, and may debunk the whole story, but that's the whole point!

Missing Termietermite
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 10:11:29 pm »

Huh You sure Jerry? The TR4 had a live axle. The TR4a had independent rear suspension sure, but it wasn't launched til 1965, and there must have been literally dozens of cars running at Le mans by then with fully independent suspension.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
nickliv
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 09:22:59 pm »

On the 'Le Mans 100 years of general magnificence and fortitude of spirit' (I may be paraphrasing here) programme on Motors last night, there was quite a long list of innovations.

I had been drinking, but I beliefve that windscreens AND wipers were mentioned.
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 01:36:58 am »

Huh You sure Jerry? The TR4 had a live axle. The TR4a had independent rear suspension sure, but it wasn't launched til 1965, and there must have been literally dozens of cars running at Le mans by then with fully independent suspension.

OK, I forgot the 'A'.

The TR4A was the first all independent suspension car available to the general public and was originally developed for Le Mans after the TR4.

"Triumph's TR range of cars were the result of the evolution rather than instant design inspiration. The 4A variant featuring the majority of the previous TR4 car's running gear and body but with a new chassis offering greater stiffness and allowing the fitment of an independent rear suspension (IRS) setup.  This suspension was a close relative of the system that had appeared on the Triumph 2000 saloon in 1963. For some markets IRS was an option, so the chassis could also accomodate a solid axle and leaf springs. The front suspension had a new upper wishbone design and revised geometry, but most other parts were the same. 
The suspension changed the character of the TR range, the 4A being a softer car with a more natural inherent understeer, rather than the oversteer nature that the earlier cars' solid axle gave. Wheels were 15 inch diameter, 4.5 inch wide in either pressed steel or wire, with cross-ply tyres originally".

So Andy, I stand by my case. It was the first road car with IRS. If you look up the Triumph history, many inovations were made including the Spitfire winning it's class at LM.  Michellotti did a good job there.

At my age, it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, growing old is compulsary, but growing up is just optional.

I don't do GREEN, I've got a 4x4
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 10:35:28 am »

So Andy, I stand by my case. It was the first road car with IRS.

Bolleaux, I'm afraid.

Just from my own (dirty, horrible, grubby little) corner, - Jag S-Type in 1963 had full IRS, as did the E-Type in 1961. Cunningham/Salvadori raced an E-type at LM in 62. So neither was the TR the first IRS car available to the public, or the first IRS car to race at LM. I'm sure there must be plenty other examples too.

Mind you, a live rear end does have certain advantages.
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 02:38:31 pm »

This suspension was a close relative of the system that had appeared on the Triumph 2000 saloon in 1963...

So Andy, I stand by my case. It was the first road car with IRS. If you look up the Triumph history, many inovations were made including the Spitfire winning it's class at LM.  Michellotti did a good job there.

So even though the Triumph independent rear suspension first came out on the Triumph 2000 in 1963 (my dad had one and as a child I was very fond of the dashboard), you're saying the TR4a was the first car with it?  Huh

Michelotti? Wasn't that the IRS that used to get the wheels all tucked up under the wheelarches and flip the car over? I saw this happen during an autotest we were marshalling at on Birmingham Masshouse carpark in about 1985. We had to drag the bearded fool out through the winderscreen of his Mk1 GT6.  Cheesy

What about the Beetle and the subsequent Porsche deivatives? They all had IRS albeit via a swing axle (thanks a lot Mr Hitler!). Oh and how about the Mini? Launched 1959 it had proper fully independent suspension. Those rubber cones still shook your brains out though.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 02:42:42 pm by Andy Zarse » Logged

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: