Club Arnage
March 28, 2024, 12:14:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No pic - but who, and when?  (Read 19941 times)
Mr Termite

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2008, 11:10:34 am »

Ok, so my story is set quite a few years back. It is recently dark, and our hero is driving through the Dunlop Curve (sic) when he gets a puncture. Not good when it's 8 miles round to the pits! He drives gently on, but soon the rim is grinding on the tarmac, so he stops at Hunaudieres to change the wheel (also sic). He digs out the torch, jack, hammer. The torch batteries are flat! So he waits for a passing pair of headlights so he can see to strike a blow on the knockoff hubcap. One blow and the head flies off the hammer, straight into the undergrowth! Doh! After a brief but fruitless search in the dark, he gives up and drives gently on. You know what's coming next! Flailing tyre punctures fuel line, fuel sprays out onto hot exhaust - car catches fire! Driver leaps from car before it stops - as would I. Car stops near marshalls' post, and they and gendarmes race to the rescue, trying to save driver inside. While they peer into burning car, driver taps gendarme on back. Gendarme turns round, and sees hirsute figure in pale clothing - nearly dies of fright!

Driver/Car/Year?

Missing Termietermite
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 12:16:25 pm »

Have heard this before, but for the life of me cannot recall who it was!

Graham Hill seems to ring a bell, but its really bugging me now.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
JPNucCons

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 01:05:48 pm »

Frank Gardner, probably in a Cobra?
I may be confusing this story with another about running out of petrol and stealing a jerry can full of fuel from some gendarmes camped in the woods nearby, only to find it was cooking fuel or something.
Mr Termite

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 02:11:47 pm »

Worthy guesses both, but no cigar just yet.

Missing Termietermite
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 02:40:32 pm »

Chris Amon?

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Mr Termite

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 03:10:03 pm »

By gad, sir - you're a genius! Chris Amon, one of the unluckiest men in top level motorsport, in terms of the manure that surrounded him time after time. That said, I believe him to be hale and hearty in his 60s, which many contemporaries never reached for the usual tragic reason. I assume you'd read the Eoin Young (also a Kiwi, I think?) biography?

This was, for the benefit of anyone still awake, 1967, and Chris was sharing a Ferrari 330P4 with Nino Vaccarella. The retirement was before 11 p.m. I found the story in the new book "Ferrari au Mans 1961-67" by Francois Hurel, which follows on from the same author's series on Ford, Porsche & Matra (at least). Natch it's in French, but the pics are superb, and technical details are international in their nature. The interjections with little tales like this one make it a very good read if you have even basic French, like wot I have got. I bought it during the 24 hrs, and I think the (English-speaking) seller said they were going really fast. But then a Ferrari book would!

Missing Termietermite
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 03:13:59 pm »

And whose budget is the cigar coming out of?

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 04:23:23 pm »

Will swap said cigar for Rillettes!

Dick Dasterdly was right
Mr Termite

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 10:18:52 am »

There are rillettes and rillettes! Unable to find the right-size pot of Termie's fave brand - Boulvert, from Bonnetable - I bought Super U's own offering. Fatal. Tastes like spam, sez La Termite!

Missing Termietermite
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 10:46:14 am »

Any rillette is better than spam or potted meat!
 Mmmmmmmm tasty. ;-)

Dick Dasterdly was right
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 11:32:15 am »

You should be ashamed to say such things. Rillettes are okay I suppose, but a greatly inferior to Chichester's finest. As for Super U rillettes, you can shove them up your bum!

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 12:32:12 pm »

As for Super U rillettes, you can shove them up your bum!

Er, quite.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 01:58:04 pm »

Well, that's something to bear in mind I suppose, but they're not exactly alone in that respect.
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
nickliv
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 05:22:39 pm »

As opposed to Auchan rillettes which are only fit to be rammed down ones japs eye with a tent peg?
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 03:13:56 pm »

Super U had three different Rillettes on offer last week so all three were purchased and we settled down for a Rillette world cup. The own brand product was pretty poor indeed and was used in a childish catapulting game reminissant of the classic game 'shitty shotty' a game which, had it reached olympic status, I would have excelled at and won several golds for the independent state of Yorksestershire!   
 The best Rillette was the one in the glass jar that is a bastard to open. Very nice indeed.
 S

Dick Dasterdly was right
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: