Club Arnage
June 15, 2024, 07:45:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ACO Announce new rules for 2009  (Read 7655 times)
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2008, 04:56:55 pm »

The ACO issued a press release at Silverstone over the weekend outlining the “spirit of the 2009 rules” and the objectives for 2010-2011.  See
www.lemans.org/24heuresdumans/ressources/pdf/silverstone08_regl09_gb.pdf

In essence, for 2009

In the name of Sporting Equity:

Restore the Petrol-Diesel balance in P1
Restore the balance between prototypes
Maintain the difference between P1 and P2
Make GT2 and P2 more accessible to private teams

In the name of Safety:

Reduce the performance of ALL classes

All this will be achieved by reductions in sizes of the air restrictors, reduction of supercharger pressure in diesels (the aim to reduce the power of diesels by 10.5%), increased minimum weight  in GT1 (25 kilos) and GT2 (20 kilos), and for prototypes, a (presumably) smaller wing which must have a Gurney flap.

They also wish to promote the use of harder tyres and will do this by slowing down tyre changes by allowing only TWO mechanics with a single air gun at any one time.  The pre-warming of tyres is also forbidden.  Also, “Wheel changes will be considered as separate from other interventions except for driver changes” – I think this means that a team will not be able to re-fuel and change tyres in the same pit stop.

Hybrid cars will be accepted for entry, but in 2009, will not be able to compete ie they will not be classified.  From 2010, they will be.

Objectives for 2010-2011

New rules originally to come into force in 2010 are postponed for 1 year
Free choice of open or closed prototypes
Reduction of P1 engine sizes on the current basis of P2 engines
P2 only with ‘production’ engines
Reduction of noise levels, CO2 emissions and fuel consumption.

They state that they are looking for a reduction of 150bhp in P1, and estimate a lap time of 3 mins 42 secs.

That's it - detailed rules will be issued in mid-november!

Del

Team Delboy Racing
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 05:13:18 pm »

There is a good breakdown of what the regs will mean here.

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newssept08.html

Looks like the ACO are trying to please everyone but succeeding in pleasing no one.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Ade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 05:34:26 pm »

...allowing only TWO mechanics with a single air gun at any one time.
This is probably to negate the advantage an open top driver change has over a coupe driver change.

Also, “Wheel changes will be considered as separate from other interventions except for driver changes” – I think this means that a team will not be able to re-fuel and change tyres in the same pit stop.
I read this as, you can't change the wheels & re-fuel at the same time, but you can do both at the same pit stop.

Ade

Le Mans - the how you get there is not quite as important as being there.
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 06:19:31 pm »

And they talk of making the cars quieter Shocked

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 06:59:32 pm »

Also, “Wheel changes will be considered as separate from other interventions except for driver changes” – I think this means that a team will not be able to re-fuel and change tyres in the same pit stop.
I read this as, you can't change the wheels & re-fuel at the same time, but you can do both at the same pit stop.

Ade

They haven't been able to re-fuel and change wheels at the same time for many years, Ade.  The only thing that could be done whilst re-fuelling is to change driver and clean the windscreen.

Team Delboy Racing
DickieAttwood
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 07:04:29 pm »

Reduction of noise levels,

Give me strength!

Send Lawyers, Guns and Money. The sh1t has hit the fan.
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 11:00:19 pm »

Reduction of noise levels,

Particularly on thise Deisels!!  They whistle far too much as they sneak by!  Grin
Give me strength!
roeegg

one of del's boys!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 12:10:01 am »

some further background to the ACO's thinking here.
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/pruett-lunch-with-the-aco//P1/
could get wider cockpits as well when the final details are annonced in Nov.

Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 08:43:05 am »

And they talk of making the cars quieter Shocked

Just when Henri P is thinking about using the GM corvette GT1 engine in his P1 team cars. Grin

I would not worry about the noise reduction rules. I doubt anyone would notice the differance when trackside.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Robbo
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

"ANTHEM"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 09:19:22 am »

...allowing only TWO mechanics with a single air gun at any one time.
This is probably to negate the advantage an open top driver change has over a coupe driver change.

The thinking behind the ruling is to make the pitstop longer therefore encouraging tyre manufacturers to make harder compond tyres that last longer so less tyres used so cheaper for teams.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 12:39:31 pm by Robbo » Logged

Pessimist - Glass half empty
Optimist - Glass half full
Engineer - Glass twice as big as needed
Mr Termite

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 10:19:35 am »

LMP1s circulating in 3m 30s, eh? Peugeot were under 3m 20s, I think, in practice. Do I not recall the late Phil Hill getting a 7-litre Ford GT Mk II round in about 3m 30s in practice for the 1965 race? And that was driving what his also-sadly-late namesake Graham Hill described the next year as "a great big heavy old lorry"! Yes of course all those chicanes were missing in those days, I do know that!

We should welcome anything that reduces costs and enables more and better quality entrants. The dreadful mess that much business is in now means sponsorship is gonna get tougher and tougher to find. I think the ACO have gone some way to meeting that situation head on, and ensuring we continue to see truly world-class fields.

It might also limit Henri's whingeing!

Missing Termietermite
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 03:54:15 pm »

It might also limit Henri's whingeing!

When he was being inteviewed on Radio Le Mans last Sunday he sounded almost jovial.
JDS
Club Arnage Demi God

Moi, enivré? Sûrement que vous me moquez monsieur?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 04:02:39 pm »

I think I must be missing something here, or just being exceptionally thick. Why do the regulators keep trying to make the cars slower? Last time I looked, Le Mans was all about racing which most dictionaries variously describe as "a contest of speed, as in running, riding, driving, or sailing / to engage in a contest of speed / try to beat in a contest of speed / to cause to run, move, or go at high speed" (you get the idea ....) Perhaps they think that limiting the speed will reduce costs, but surely that increases the costs for teams already there as they have to re-design/engineer their current solutions Huh 
Robbo
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

"ANTHEM"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 04:53:28 pm »

Le Mans is a one off racing track. With normal tracks you would just make the run-off areas bigger as the cars/bikes get faster (like the Bugatti Circuit @ LM) but there is no alot, if any, scope of improving safety areas from Mulsanne to Porsche Curves.

I, for one, would rather they slowed the cars a little than interfere with the track @ LM!

Pessimist - Glass half empty
Optimist - Glass half full
Engineer - Glass twice as big as needed
nickliv
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 10:09:15 pm »

It is all about going quickest, but only within the strict rules as defined by the ACO. It's a bit like giving someone 4 sheets of paper, 2 cocktail sticks and a jar of marmite, then seeing who can make the tallest structure that will still support the cocktail sticks.

At the end of the day, a level playing field makes for better racing. I'm amazed by the speed of my dog, a P1 car going past me 3 mph slower than the year before won't really dismay me.

And please, as the diesels aren't going to have such an advantage, can we have a whole field of proper noisy (but not too noisy, obviously in these PC eardrum protecting times) cars. Hang on, I've got an idea re. the noise. If we sheet the track and spectator enclosures in with a giant polytunnel, less sound will get out, and we'll all go home with bleeding ears. As for wet races, if it rains outside, just pump it onto the track.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: