Club Arnage
April 28, 2024, 12:50:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More bad news: Audi quits ALMS  (Read 2960 times)
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« on: December 05, 2008, 01:33:51 pm »

This has just been announced officially. The new R15 will only race in Sebring and Le Mans

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
geoffd
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Work, The curse of the Drinking Classes

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 02:00:55 pm »

The good news is that it will give other teams a chance to win in LMP1 and thus get an autoinvite to LM in 2010!

As much as I like to see a top team in a championship, but, it got a bit tedious guessing which of the two Audis was going to win in LMP1...

Of course I buy green cars, my Aston is green, my MGB is green, my Disco Sport is green,  oh, that's not what you meant by green?
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 02:09:26 pm »

Now we will be guessing which Honda will win in the ALMS P1.

Bad news for the series that will also impact the promotion of the races and TV coverage that I think Audi had a hand in paying for into Europe.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 06:04:25 pm »

Without an Audi program, Champion will shut its race team down and lay the team off I have read.

Shame it could not even run a GT3 R10, at least to keep things going, or given their history a Porsche LMP2.

But if the monies not there, I guess its all over for the time being at least.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 07:31:40 pm »

Now we will be guessing which Honda will win in the ALMS P1.

Not sure where we stand with the Honda as it looks like they will pull out of F1 unless they get a sponsor(?), the little Brazillian has already got a job driving for the council.

>Martini

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 09:15:49 pm »

I suspect that this and Honda won't be the only effects - wait out for more methinks. 

Plus at an exchange rate today of 1 GBP to 1.15 euros it is hardly going to make the annual trip to La Sarthe cheap...

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 11:48:06 pm »

I don't think many people are going to be misty-eyed at the prospect of Audi pulling out.  I hope if anything it encourages more privateer participation.  The reality is that away from the top events (LeMans, Sebring, Petit, etc) the LMP1 grids have been pretty lean in recent years, I believe partially because of Audi's spend till you drop approach.
From my perspective GT2 is going to be where its at next year, with Crovette stepping down to GT2, and the addition of the factory BMW M3 effort, as well as the usual Ferrari and Porsche suspects.
Fax
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 04:26:32 am »

I don't think many people are going to be misty-eyed at the prospect of Audi pulling out.  I hope if anything it encourages more privateer participation.  The reality is that away from the top events (LeMans, Sebring, Petit, etc) the LMP1 grids have been pretty lean in recent years, I believe partially because of Audi's spend till you drop approach.
From my perspective GT2 is going to be where its at next year, with Crovette stepping down to GT2, and the addition of the factory BMW M3 effort, as well as the usual Ferrari and Porsche suspects.
Fax
Hi Fax,
          I agree GT2 will be where the action is. Audi have provided us with some good cars and great racing. It has been terrific while it lasted. I look forward to seeing the new car at Sebring. A limited program is better than a canceled program.
 Phil
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: