Club Arnage
April 20, 2024, 01:28:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 34   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Le Mans Popemobile saved for the nation by The Brethren  (Read 216247 times)
lady pig-pen

younger than kev_mk3

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2009, 01:58:13 am »

please can i have some sympathy?Huh??we have (finally) just gotten rid of all of rex's sh!t cars and now, not only do we have some massive truck thing that rex plans on parking in MY SPOT, but i have also been bored to death regarding all the details/future plans for it......and the LLLOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGG drive to le mans in it....i dont think anyone (but us) will be seeing her this year due to my point blank refusal to travel in her yet, i just want 1 year in a nice comfy car with a cd player....sorry, i bring my polski as a peace offering....x

stay ginger xxx
Lord Pig-Pen
Club Arnage God

it's all a bit much at my age.... Ich Habe.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2009, 02:20:10 am »

The Brethren et al,
                        Did the purchase of the Popemobile include the Flag pole? And more importantly did it include the Canadian Maple Leaf and Stars & Stripes (Flags) which have flown high and proud on MB since 2001? Support for Leftie on the continued presence of teh Dragon too. The attendace board should also be retained to preserve the history. wether Rusty should be required to wear the pope hat i leave for others to decide Cool
 Canada Phil donated the Maple Leaf
 Pidge donated the Stars & Stripes
 for those coming to Sebring I can introduce you to Pidgeon.

Phil
I persuaded Jim to let us have the little flag pole but there was no mention of the flags. We will ask when planning our collection of the Popemobile. He was very quick to say that the giant flag pole is his... and his only
Regarding the Dragon now, its another story isnt it! We have said that she will always wear one somewhere on her along with words for Jim and his crew, and the RAF etc etc.
I will mention Phil,Pidge and the flags when we next talk to the boys.
Cant wait to get her home! Looks to be about a 5 hour drive Roll Eyes

T
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 02:45:23 am by Lord Pig-Pen » Logged

What do you mean dust?.... Thats not dust, this is dust! Ich Habe Honda S2000 and its not mine!
Lord Pig-Pen
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2009, 02:56:30 am »

One for the record

* Russpope.jpg (185.5 KB, 639x479 - viewed 506 times.)

* pope 2.jpg (248.43 KB, 639x479 - viewed 439 times.)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 03:01:30 am by Lord Pig-Pen » Logged

What do you mean dust?.... Thats not dust, this is dust! Ich Habe Honda S2000 and its not mine!
nickliv
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2009, 09:29:31 am »

As it's an old control tower, do you want me to pinch some obsolete kit from work for it?

Our Flight progress strips (The small plastic blocks we write aircrafts details on) are shortly to be replaced with an electronic version. So some of those should be available. (Just over a years time IIRC, that's a 'quick ATC project.... Roll Eyes) although a pinboard map of the circuit with pins denoting the location of various members of Brethren might be more applicable to its RAF heyday.

I'm pretty certain I won't be able to get hold of a radar I'm afraid.
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2009, 11:40:39 am »

I do hope this spurs Mr Z into similar action - the combination of this and the Commer together at Le Mans should be beyond compare...

MG Mark

Regrettably, I fear not Mark.

Rex told me this news recently on a state visit to Zarse Towers. I have to say whilst I echo the sentiments of all on here, the Commer, for one, is deeply unhappy about matters. Setting aside the fact that the Commer probably won't be going this year as one of the boys just bought a Mercedes Sprinter, have you considered the socio-economic grouping issues?

You see, for around fifty-odd years Bedford and Commer were bitter rivals . They were near-neighbours and long term commercial enemies, scowling at each other from either side of the M1. Commer were based in stylish upmarket Dunstable, whilst Bedford's factory was in dreary downmarket Luton. The difference was reflected in the products too. Bedford were a typical General Motors product; built to a price with the ability to do the job, but gave no more than absolutely necessary. They were never built as well or as innovatively as Commers. Commer were all about contemporary design and cutting-edge engineering solutions such as the fabulously exotic TS4 two-stroke engines and their clever super-slick gearboxes. They always exceeded their design spec, their strength was legendary and could take abuse like nothing else. In essence they were a far superior product to anything Bedford could come up with. Bedford on the other hand, had a great dealer network and were sold on low price. They were, I suppose, ubiquitous, or as the Commer likes to say, "as common as muck". Such is the environment in which prejudice is born.

Enmity and longtime dislike flows in the blood, it's almost genetic, similar to pursuading Alf Garnet to stop calling black people "nignogs". You might be able to stop him using the word, but he'll still be thinking it. These vehicles come from opposite side of the tracks, with little in common. I'd go so far as to say the Commer is a racist van who will look down her nose at the TK.  Frankly I can't see them getting along too well.  Sad
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 11:44:38 am by Andy Zarse » Logged

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2009, 11:43:24 am »

I don't know about others but if you fancied having a restoration fund I'd put a few quid in.  It truly is a piece of history and I imagine the restoration is going to eat some pennies...

Ahem, it can join the bloody queue!  Wink

Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2009, 11:49:03 am »

which engine does she (the Popemobile of course, Polish princess power plants are less readily assessed, I may need to do some research there!) have, is it the diesel or the wonderful all singing Bedford petrol engine (where the hell did I put that spare dizzy??)

She is running a 6 pot 3.0 petrol with what appears to be a Zenith Carb. She runs beautifully and is so clean in the engine bay its unreal. I have never seen one that tidy!!
I will post pics soon.
PP

[/quote]

There must be a viable alternative to the hopeless Zenith carb, perhaps something is available from Weber? I reckon junking the one on the Commer and buying the Weber kit increased performance by a good 25%, and fuel economy by a similar margin. Easily the best mod I've ever done. I'll have a look into it.

powermite
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2009, 02:30:32 pm »

Will Rusty be giving the w@nking sock a rinse through before hanging it in the Popemobiles toilet?

PM
Lord Pig-Pen
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2009, 05:08:49 pm »

I have just had a quote for the insurance from the broker I used to insure the Nissans with.

Fully comp with a 3000 mile limit, show cover, UK and European breakdown... blah blah blah

£102.00 inc 5% IPT and £10 legal expenses cover

Now thats a bargain!!

powermite
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2009, 05:43:37 pm »

Lord PP
I havnt heard TrayBoys name mentioned for many a year.If hes still about,I feel he would be ideal to take over from the Pope.

Pm
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2009, 05:56:30 pm »

Lord PP
I havnt heard TrayBoys name mentioned for many a year.If hes still about,I feel he would be ideal to take over from the Pope.

Pm

I would second that, I have an image in my mind of Trayboy wearing the pope's hat. Grin
Jules G
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2009, 06:15:57 pm »

Congratulations LPP on a fine purchase.

look forward to seeing her in all her glory

nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2009, 08:23:59 pm »

Which member is this then?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2etGhVewsvQ

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Lord Pig-Pen
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2009, 10:31:49 pm »

Evening all... a bit of an update as yesterday announcement was a little hurried.
We have purchased the Popemobile between a number of us (not sure how many yet but will be core members so 6 probably) with a view to upgrading her facilities and using her as our annual team kit hauler and as SGT MJR Chop mentioned earlier The Brethren Mobile Command and Control Centre
Some owners will be sleeping in her and others are happy with tenting it so she wont be cramed full of snoring, farting, beer filled Brethren.

The livery is under discussion so cant say much more about that.

She will be centre of our setup and the roof terrace will house all the sound and lighting gear and the DJ's.
I think she will look stunning!

I am going to be driver and official keeper and she will live at PP Towers if she will fit down the lane, otherwise, at my mates farm.

Plans are to use her as often as possible and maybe make some money with her.
A local Polo team owner has already shown an interest in using her for their annual 3 day tournament as a judges box and I am looking to get her into the military vehicle line up at The Great Dorset Steam Fair... then there is the Goodwood Revival and such events.
Will be fun to have something to display and sleep in.

Regarding the offer of period equipment, I am looking to reduce weight as she is so painfully slow.
The body is a mix of steel and Ali and is fully soundproofed, the walls are 4" thick and stuffed with something and the ceilings are soundproof tiles which appear to be 2" thick. All the glazing in the control tower is what looks to be toughened glass and the roof terrace railings are galv. steel so may well be replaced with Ali ones (Fabricating mate has offered to make new for nothing if his Company name gets on her somewhere).

I have looked into a carb conversion but so far have drawn a blank. No conversions appear to have been made for that engine so may look into getting a manifold made and a twin choke downdraught Weber of some description  installed. Possibility of a stainless exhaust and manifold being made too (by the same dude that will do the railings.

Finally a set of bling Horsebox wheeltrims to tidy the wheels up.

Oh... and several of the access hatches are scruffy Ply so will be changed for Ali on timber frames.

She will be cracking when finished. Grin
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 11:24:42 pm by Lord Pig-Pen » Logged

Lord Pig-Pen
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2009, 11:02:41 pm »

I have just emailed The Great Doset Steam Fair with a request to be considered as an exhibit in the military line up.
Fingers crossed... and its free!!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 34   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: