Club Arnage
March 28, 2024, 09:23:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 34   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Le Mans Popemobile saved for the nation by The Brethren  (Read 214434 times)
Lord Pig-Pen
Club Arnage God

it's all a bit much at my age.... Ich Habe.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2009, 11:18:09 pm »

Oh and finally... Private Tray Boy is alive and well in Royal Tunbridge Wells.
I think he will make an excellent Pope and can picture him sat on the roof in his underpants surveying his Vatican.
This is subject to team approval obviously... but he will get my vote! Grin

What do you mean dust?.... Thats not dust, this is dust! Ich Habe Honda S2000 and its not mine!
Gordonwr
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2009, 11:27:12 pm »

The trip wouldn't be the same without it at LM, and it sounds like the same engine that I used to strip down after I served my army apprenticeship all those years ago !!

Always go into a corner too fast, in case it turns out to be a quick one!
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2009, 11:35:07 pm »

I do hope this spurs Mr Z into similar action - the combination of this and the Commer together at Le Mans should be beyond compare...

MG Mark

Regrettably, I fear not Mark.....Frankly I can't see them getting along too well.  Sad

Andy,

I am, of course, torn between these two, both sturdy and steadfast icons of UK industry and achievement, as they are in their own endearing ways.  The Bedford would provide an outstanding opportunity to indulge in some gratuitous firing of Verey and Schermuley flares from the old mobile control tower into the surrounding plebiscite of BN in the best "damn the torpedoes and repel boarders" traditions.  Quite fitting, given the likely additions to the Bedford of The Brethren's usual battle adornments of the Merchant Navy and RAF Ensigns and the White Star pennant, accompanied by stirring accoutrements of film and musical accompaniment.  Such a platform would not, of course, befit the Commer's superior social status, which would emulate that of a suitably refined detachment status, mobile Officers Mess to retreat to afterwards.  

And, yes, I had considered the socio-economic groupings, concluding that the Commer would, indeed, be the most appropriate flagship to represent the B and C1 professional grades (or whatever they are called these days) rather than other grades of a more "manual" nature.  I had made allowance for this in my comment on the now (apparently) erroneous assumption that the mighty Commer (and her custodian) would rise above the situation, and neatly complement the comparatively rudimentary nature of the Bedford and provide a suitable cross-sectional representation of such vehicles, with a "bugger that, I'm not letting the side down" clarion call.  

But seemingly not, and the base, easy attractions of - of all things - a Mercedes Sprinter appear to be too tempting.  A shame, as the legend already appears to have descended to gutter press sniping level before any engagement on the field of conflict, and the battle honour of "BN 2009" assigned to one of them, other than by default of non-appearance, would have a certain cachet and ring to it.......

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
PrincessAlex

:D little devil in angels skin:D

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2009, 11:39:42 pm »

do u think someone could be behind that glass bit on top? like two bikini dressed grls? Tongue ;P
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2009, 12:06:33 am »

do u think someone could be behind that glass bit on top? like two bikini dressed grls? Tongue ;P

What, as a variety of "entertainment for the troops" of for protection from same...??

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2009, 12:45:18 am »

I do hope this spurs Mr Z into similar action - the combination of this and the Commer together at Le Mans should be beyond compare...

MG Mark

Regrettably, I fear not Mark.....Frankly I can't see them getting along too well.  Sad

Andy,

I am, of course, torn between these two, both sturdy and steadfast icons of UK industry and achievement, as they are in their own endearing ways.  The Bedford would provide an outstanding opportunity to indulge in some gratuitous firing of Verey and Schermuley flares from the old mobile control tower into the surrounding plebiscite of BN in the best "damn the torpedoes and repel boarders" traditions.  Quite fitting, given the likely additions to the Bedford of The Brethren's usual battle adornments of the Merchant Navy and RAF Ensigns and the White Star pennant, accompanied by stirring accoutrements of film and musical accompaniment.  Such a platform would not, of course, befit the Commer's superior social status, which would emulate that of a suitably refined detachment status, mobile Officers Mess to retreat to afterwards.  

And, yes, I had considered the socio-economic groupings, concluding that the Commer would, indeed, be the most appropriate flagship to represent the B and C1 professional grades (or whatever they are called these days) rather than other grades of a more "manual" nature.  I had made allowance for this in my comment on the now (apparently) erroneous assumption that the mighty Commer (and her custodian) would rise above the situation, and neatly complement the comparatively rudimentary nature of the Bedford and provide a suitable cross-sectional representation of such vehicles, with a "bugger that, I'm not letting the side down" clarion call.  

But seemingly not, and the base, easy attractions of - of all things - a Mercedes Sprinter appear to be too tempting.  A shame, as the legend already appears to have descended to gutter press sniping level before any engagement on the field of conflict, and the battle honour of "BN 2009" assigned to one of them, other than by default of non-appearance, would have a certain cachet and ring to it.......

MG Mark

After 3 1/2 yrs in Naval school I never signed up. Although in October I did do a Ceremonial March Past in Hamble.

I agree with everything you said.

Leftie Snr (Vernon) worked in these 'Popemobiles' and developed the 'BABS' and REBECCA landing systems.

At my age, it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, growing old is compulsary, but growing up is just optional.

I don't do GREEN, I've got a 4x4
badgered1
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2009, 04:57:22 am »

That is great news! I took a good look at it when I was at the 2004 Lemans and read the poster board they had on display. I look forward to seeing the refurbishment.

Chris

Sew on and sew forth.
Lord Pig-Pen
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2009, 10:08:37 am »

I dont see any problem with that!! Grin

What do you mean dust?.... Thats not dust, this is dust! Ich Habe Honda S2000 and its not mine!
mike(liverpool boys)
Club Arnage Demi God

If in doubt,flat out! - Colin McRae

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2009, 11:25:55 am »

Well done on a fine purchase of a piece of Le Mans history LPP and Co. My only experience of the popemobile is a quick wander round it on my 1st visit to LM 3 years ago so im looking forward to seeing her in full glory on a sunny BN this year.

Mike

They have lumps of what round the back???
Lord Pig-Pen
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2009, 12:56:50 pm »

Well done on a fine purchase of a piece of Le Mans history LPP and Co. My only experience of the popemobile is a quick wander round it on my 1st visit to LM 3 years ago so im looking forward to seeing her in full glory on a sunny BN this year.

Mike
I'm not too sure that she will be making the trip this June due to the work that needs doing to bring her up to our required standards. We shall see!!

garyfrogeye
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a messy Houx Annexer

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2009, 01:01:50 pm »

Should she be present this year, to save any embaressment and to quell the ardour of the troops, I will make the supreme sacrifice by offering myself up as a human shield by standing in front of the window, therefore obscuring the sight and preserving these fine lady's modesty.
Naturally I will be looking inwards so as not to be frightened by the marauding masses but also to make sure that I have both the front and rear within full view at all times.
No need to thank me.

If I was you, I wouldn't start from here
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2009, 01:06:40 pm »

Thanks for making the ultimate sacrifice Gary.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2009, 01:24:52 pm »

Mike
I'm not too sure that she will be making the trip this June due to the work that needs doing to bring her up to our required standards. We shall see!!

The Brethren bash in August would be the perfect lauch date for the new Popemobile if she can't make Le Mans this year. Any outstanding work could be completed then as I'm sure there will be plenty of willing volenteers at hand.

BTW. Will she still be known as "The Popemobile" after the refurbishment or is there to be a renaming ceremony?

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Trayboy
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2009, 02:05:25 pm »

I think we should call it the Traboy-Mobile
Trayboy
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2009, 02:09:42 pm »

it's a very fine place to throw up in - marvelous!

Trayboy for Pope!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 34   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: