Club Arnage
June 16, 2024, 09:18:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sim Cards  (Read 3548 times)
SmithA
CA Veteran

smithytours.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« on: April 12, 2009, 06:05:09 pm »

Hello all,

i am doing a fair bit of traveling this year and was wondering if anyone has used overseas sim cards in ther phones when they are overseas to get cheaper calls and data downloads. i will be going to the states and of course the obligatory week long stay in the quiet French city in June.

Andy

LM 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07 - LMS Silverstone 05 - Donington 06 - Jarama 06 - Monza 07 - Valencia 07 - Silverstone 07
dukla
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 06:36:09 pm »

Step 1 - make sure your phone is unlocked. Try a sim from another (UK) network in your handset now. If it works, your handset is unlocked. If your handset is locked consider asking your network for the unlocking code (can be silly money depending on the nature of your contract), otherwise pop down to your local high street shop and buy the cheapest unlocked handset they have - you should get change from £15 as well as £10 credit on some pre-pay scheme.

Remember not all countries are as free and easy as the UK with pre-paid sims - some (e.g. India) require you to register in a big way, including passport for a few days, blood from your first born and all 4 grandparents present.
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 07:09:24 pm »

Remember not all countries are as free and easy as the UK with pre-paid sims - some (e.g. India) require you to register in a big way, including passport for a few days, blood from your first born and all 4 grandparents present.
Sounds like France. Roll Eyes

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
landman
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 07:15:02 pm »

FWIW have just been to India.

PAYG SIM cards are as cheap as chips and simply required sight of a passport.

Local calls Rs 1/min abd international calls Rs 10/min

That's £0.0137/min local and £0.137 International.

Who says we're being ripped off in the UK?

Crouch..........bind..........set
SL
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 08:32:18 pm »

depends on where you are going but:-

Get a very very good card for emergencies and only use for emergiencies, if disaster stirkes youn will need it, trust me. normal cheap networks will get jammed up.

Normal everyday calls get a cheap card on arrival or use the cheap e mail or whatever is available, Seach 'tinternet for cheap local rate calls and or buy local phone cards.

SL

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 08:35:53 pm »

Hi Andy,
           In USA just buy a pay as you go phone $10 to $20 .You will need a street address with Zipcode and a land line to register it (hotel you are staying at)
Phil
SmithA
CA Veteran

smithytours.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 11:07:08 am »

hi all,

many thanks for your help.

Andy

LM 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07 - LMS Silverstone 05 - Donington 06 - Jarama 06 - Monza 07 - Valencia 07 - Silverstone 07
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 04:20:57 pm »

Leclerc do one of the cheaper PAYG deals in France as they don't have to be topped up more than once a year.   With Leclerc also, incoming calls from other European countries and the States cost you nothing.  But there is a 1.50€ monthly charge for their cards.   Most others have to be renewed monthly (or you have to buy a very expensive card - eg 60€ for 6 months) and any credit you have left disappears unless you top  up.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: