Club Arnage
April 28, 2024, 09:03:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Le Mans trip participants  (Read 24848 times)
TomCastellani

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2009, 05:36:37 pm »

ok, I'm in last resort mode here...

Basically my friend and I are planning on going to Le Mans with a self drive package that includes camping etc. With the two of us it's not really cost effective, however if we have three people in the car it is cheaper and four; even cheaper. Is anyone at all interested? If we get a third person we figure it would be around £180 - £200 per person for everything, travel, camping, tickets and food which really isn't that much. With four as I said it's even better.

We're looking for someone preferably in the south/south-east of England but could go further afield, we'd pick you up and drop you off so no need to worry about any logistics, just bring what you need and have the cash.

If you're at all interested PLEASE message me! I'm totally gutted our plans have fallen through and this was to be my first trip to Le Mans.

This is the package we're looking at: http://www.motorracinginternational.uk.com/le%20mans%20self%20drive.html  Obviously we want to book sooner rather than later having missed out on ACO tickets already.

Also can anyone tell me why Camping Bleu, Expo & Houx Annexe are cheaper? My friend says they're worse and places aren't reserved...

Cheers,
Tom
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 04:46:01 pm »

Hi,
Firstly I would say 2 is the perfect number to have in any car, unless you have a large estate or MPV then 3 or 4 is going reduce the boot space for tents etc. It may reduce the costs slightly but having an extra person, let alone 3 in your car if its been a hot one will not make it pleasant.

Secondly, most sites do have numbered pitches, Houx Annexe for sure is all numbered this year and I think Blue and expo are as well. All 3 are very close to the track. (Numbered pitches have a size restriction on them, normally too small for a car + 4 tents, the link makes no mention if you have one pitch or 2)

I would say dont bother with motorracing international and do it of your own back. Get a cheap ferry, should be under £100 dover calais, find a camping pass on ebay or this site, (there will be more coming up over the next few weeks) try to avoid paying over face value!

Entrance tickets you can get on the gate and fuel is not really that bad now, factor in a bit for tolls etc

I think your figure of 180 - 200 pp is pretty optimistic tbh as the prices quoted on MRI dont seem to include entrance tickets do they?

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
dukla
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 07:55:08 pm »

Also can anyone tell me why Camping Bleu, Expo & Houx Annexe are cheaper? My friend says they're worse and places aren't reserved...
Probably because you don't have access to the MRI hospitality marquee. Check out the CA Guide for more info on the different campsites.

£260 for ferry & campsite pass isn't exhorbitant but as per Rup you can pocket the MRI margin if you DIY.

...the numerous unofficial “off circuit” campsites... que? Is that what they call the ditch between MB & BSJ with people lying in it?
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 09:15:20 pm »

Probably because you don't have access to the MRI hospitality marquee. Check out the CA Guide for more info on the different campsites.

£260 for ferry & campsite pass isn't exhorbitant but as per Rup you can pocket the MRI margin if you DIY.

...the numerous unofficial “off circuit” campsites... que? Is that what they call the ditch between MB & BSJ with people lying in it?

I agree - download the CA guide (print at work - cheaper) and sort out the trip by DIY.

Oh yea and don't forget to donate (if you want to) to the Charity fund - see http://www.clubarnage.com/forum/index.php?topic=9566.0

If you're going through hell, keep going.
TomCastellani

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 07:14:18 pm »

Thanks for all the advice guys, we're still deciding how to organise it. My friend is quite keen to nip it in the bud with the agency however it would be nice to save a few pennies! Personally I've set myself a limit of £250 for the whole trip which I think is reasonable and should be easy to achieve.

MRI are quoting £169 pp for 2 people with euro tunnel, parking and camping. Then it's just whatever general admission is on top.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 07:17:43 pm by TomCastellani » Logged
geoffd
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Work, The curse of the Drinking Classes

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 07:55:01 pm »

Personally I've set myself a limit of £250 for the whole trip which I think is reasonable and should be easy to achieve.

MRI are quoting £169 pp for 2 people with euro tunnel, parking and camping. Then it's just whatever general admission is on top.

hhhhmmmm, don't forget fuel and tolls both ways, and food and drink, I'd be surprised if you could do it all for £250!!  £85 for MRI, £60'ish for GA (if you're not an ACO member), so you are upto £145 already.

How long are you intending to go for, the campers amongst us will tell you what to roughly budget per day for food and drink,  and don't ask me about fuel costs, my old Aston does about 14mpg if I'm lucky, so I'm guessing you'll be in something a lot more fuel effecient, so maybe £75+ for fuel (each).

I'm not trying to put you off,  but I'd rather you went with your eyes open,  cos it's never a once in a lifetime trip,  more like once a year, or twice when the Classic is on Grin

Of course I buy green cars, my Aston is green, my MGB is green, my Disco Sport is green,  oh, that's not what you meant by green?
TomCastellani

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 08:26:58 pm »

Thanks Geoff, we're using my friend's company car so fuel is quite sneakily paid for! Grin I'm easy to feed and will probably try and take lots of food with me anyway. My £250 figure should be all inclusive as long as I moderate myself with all the extras which I'm used to.

Just to confirm:
£165 - MRI (Eurotunnel, camping, parking)
£65 - General Admission
£20 - To play with, could probably afford more if I need to. Food as I said is pretty much paid for and tolls my friend was going to pay but he said they weren't much.

Am I missing anything major?   Huh
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 10:06:20 pm »

Booze!!

Del

Team Delboy Racing
TomCastellani

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 10:35:40 pm »

Booze!!

Del

haha, I'm 18 years old and surprisingly not a big drinker.
geoffd
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Work, The curse of the Drinking Classes

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 09:06:03 am »

You are definately gonna need more than £20!  Trust me and the rest on that one!

Of course I buy green cars, my Aston is green, my MGB is green, my Disco Sport is green,  oh, that's not what you meant by green?
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 11:18:48 am »

Tom -

It's up to you how you spend your money, and what you include in your budget. You don't say how long you're going to be away, so allowing nothing for food and drink may or may not be a good idea. Check that your friend's company will refund him for fuel purchased in France and that the vehicle is insured for use in France. You will need the vehicle registration document, written consent of the vehicle's owner (unless your friend is the registered keeper) and the insurance certificate for production to the French police if you happen to be checked. Tolls are roughly €27 each way.

You've chosen to spend most of your budget on MRI, although you'll have no access to their "hospitality" without paying £49.50 each for it plus the cost of snacks and drinks you buy from them. You could put a DIY package together for about £50 each for crossing and campsite, using ACO on line - Pincenardière isn't hell incarnate- and LD Lines Dover-Boulogne (depends on crossings). That way you'd save over £100 each, which I have a sneaking feeling you'll need.

£20 for spending money - having a laugh, aren't you?
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 12:34:47 pm »

Thanks Geoff, we're using my friend's company car so fuel is quite sneakily paid for! Grin I'm easy to feed and will probably try and take lots of food with me anyway. My £250 figure should be all inclusive as long as I moderate myself with all the extras which I'm used to.

Just to confirm:
£165 - MRI (Eurotunnel, camping, parking)
£65 - General Admission
£20 - To play with, could probably afford more if I need to. Food as I said is pretty much paid for and tolls my friend was going to pay but he said they weren't much.

KPY is right about the company car abroad stuff, it should not be problem as long as the company are aware and given written consent and you have the insurance stuff with you. Make sure it has european breakdown as well, some company polices exclude it, companys dont take to well to if their car is stranded in France!

Even with company fuel paid for I doubt you will get the Lemans and back to English soil on one tank of fuel. so you will need to allow at least one top up on the french side so unless your friend has a european fuel card or is allowed to submit french recipts, that will take care of your £20 with the tolls.

Trust me, you will need more than £20!

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 03:42:09 pm »

i used to have to get a form from the leasing company, instead of the log book, to prove who owned the car, and that the car was registered in the Uk, and the VAT had been paid.  I've a feeling the AA provided the form, but that was 15 years ago

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 07:18:36 pm »

i used to have to get a form from the leasing company, instead of the log book, to prove who owned the car, and that the car was registered in the Uk, and the VAT had been paid.  I've a feeling the AA provided the form, but that was 15 years ago

We had to get a similar form to take a company car out the country, as the car was leased.
A letter from your company is not sufficient if it's leased.
The lease company sorted it all out and the form was valid for one year.
It did take them a long time to process the paper work, so get onto them now, to be safe.
It's about 550 miles return from Calais to LM, so if you have a diesel with a big tank you might get there and back on one tank if you top up at Dover, but you have to allow a few miles for running around while you are there.

£20 = about 4 lagers at the circuit, unless you are bringing all your own food and drink, it's not enough.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 07:26:21 pm by Barry » Logged
Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

I'd rather have another Tropillama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 09:05:13 pm »

The form you require is a VE103B  (Vehicle on Hire Certificate).   
The leasing company I use send it to me first class post so I get it the next day.   

t.

La Légend s` écrit sous vos yeux.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: