Club Arnage
April 18, 2024, 05:15:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Name Droppers 'R' Us  (Read 20871 times)
Mr. Rick
Club Arnage God

Mulsanne on a sunny June Sunday; it's a hard life!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 12, 2003, 10:34:02 am »

Come on then, stories (both good and bad) of when we met our heroes and what embarassing things did we do and/or say?

I'll set the ball rolling by saying that when I met Jacky Ickx a few years back, made a complete arse of myself by trying to speak French to him for some reason known only to the parts of my brain that seem bent on making me look like a pratt. He sort of looked at me then spoke in English!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2003, 10:36:01 am by The Rickmeister » Logged
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2003, 10:57:49 am »

A couple of years ago when Mario Andretti was driving a Panoz, I spotted him signing and passing out autographed photos and patiently waited to speak with him.
My turn came and, just as he handed me a signed photo, some little French s**t kid (no offence) tried to snatch it out of my, and his, hand.  I was so surprised, I (accidently) trod on the kids toes, making him promptly let go and run off.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2003, 10:57:51 am »

I met Tom Walkinshaw at Donnington Park in the mid eighties, after a European Touring Car race. He had been driving the Jag XJS. I was standing in a doorway by the pits and the ginger haired megalomaniac wanted to come through. I didn't actually speak to him, but he spoke to me. He said "Shift!".

Lovely stuff.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Stu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2003, 12:11:15 pm »

Not exactly racing, but racey. I stood at the counter in the Ann Summers shop in Bayswater 2 feet away from Patsy Kensit and I was speechless (suprising for me) at what she was buying. Thought of a thousand things to say after the event as usual but as someone said to me once, ' Wimin.......they all love it up them' ( which I could argue about. Cue marriage jokes.)
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2003, 12:49:30 pm »

Now come on Stu, you not getting off that easily! What exactly was she, and you, buying?

Catalogue ref. nos. will do.

H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
saveloy
CA Veteran

Quality remains, Time passes

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2003, 01:28:21 pm »

i got told to F**k off by van morrison, mind you I think everyone does
Dark Warrior
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2003, 01:35:26 pm »

A couple of years ago,  some of our group took advantage of the fact that one of our number is a commercial pilot… and we hired a 6 seater plane to be flown by the erstwhile, Captain Pud… Great idea… Leave early Blighty Friday 08.00, get to Maison Blanche Noon… On the way back, get onto the bus at the corner of the airfield, where you’re taken to your plane… home and in the bath by 20.00 Sunday… Unfortunately, I am most definitely not the worlds greatest flier… I tolerate it, but hate it… and believe me if you’re not a great flier… small plane, big sky, long way down… it’s bloody horrible…

Anyway, having had a quick spin up with Captain Pud earlier that year to test my resolve, I thought I’d be able to handle a couple of hours airborne in what was in my opinion, a flying Cortina… provided that I had a large number of stiffeners prior to getting on board and constant supply of ale en route….

All was going to plan… We’re up in the blue yonder, across the Channel having just looked down on the D-Day beaches, I was managing to keep a hold of my nerves…  great…

However, the ale going in and the lack of Moto’s, Little Chefs, lay byes etc several thousand feet up was causing me a problem… Nothing for it but to p155 into an empty bottle and empty it out of the little window… which I did… It was a little unfortunate, however, that as it was being emptied out, some of the copious amounts exiting the bottle were blown against the door, which wasn’t exactly a great fit… resulting in a very fine spray of my very own special brew being blown into the back of our sky chariot… The lads in the back saw the funny side… eventually… Grin

DW
Dark Warrior
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2003, 02:12:29 pm »

The previous entry wasn't really a driver story but LM related... sorry...  but another  springs to mind... Was at the FOS in 2000 and was looking at a Ferrari which used to be driven by Didier Pironi...

Anyway, there was this chap in fireproofs sitting in the cockpit... he looked like an Italian racing driver type,... good looking, tanned...

Opening with 'Didier.. what a fantastic looking car, are you going to be driving it up the hill later ?' was met with 'Sorry mate, but I'm not Didier...'

Cue an embarrased retreat... I never did find out who he was...

DW
Brian(Liverpool boys)
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2003, 02:58:28 pm »

I met Tom Walkinshaw at Donnington Park in the mid eighties, after a European Touring Car race. He had been driving the Jag XJS. I was standing in a doorway by the pits and the ginger haired megalomaniac wanted to come through. I didn't actually speak to him, but he spoke to me. He said "Shift!".

Lovely stuff.
Andy, you may be able to get your own back on Walkinshaw in the future. You may well bump into him in another door way. Stating hey ar*ehole, shift your crappy sleeping bag and begging cup and take your dog with cardboard im skint sign with you.
Brian.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2003, 02:59:23 pm by Brian.L,pool boys » Logged

To make your dreams come true, you have to stay awake.
More Low Flyer's anyone.
Stu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2003, 03:18:49 pm »

Now come on Stu, you not getting off that easily! What exactly was she, and you, buying?

Catalogue ref. nos. will do.

H

I'm too much of a gentleman to tell you that she got a pink marble vibrator ( hard not flexy), some love lube and a video. It was around the time of her first split with Liam and I was working in Whitelys shopping centre next door on one of my many types of employment. I, of course was in asking for directions ( or getting that 3 phase power supply that my wife asked for).

Also not Le Mans but on a flight to France I sat behind the great Dave Allen who sat in exactly the same manner all through the flight as he did on the TV. Knee crossed, glass of finest whisky in one hand but no ciggy. Had a few grovelling words with him at the baggage carousel (along the lines of  'We're not worthy') and he then went to the bog the same time as my mate and stood at the stall next to him. Which starts the new thread/tangent....... Anybody had a celebrity Slash?.
Dark Warrior
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2003, 03:38:30 pm »

Lords Taverners Xmas Lunch at The Grosvenor Park Lane 1995

Current Aussie skipper George Gregan one side... John Eales (then) Aussie skipper the other...

DW
Mr. Rick
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2003, 03:48:29 pm »

Anybody had a celebrity Slash?.

Well not quite slash .. celebrity shower!

The first time I ever played a full round of golf was at a pro-celeb days organised by a sub-contractor when I was myself contracted to British Gas (bless 'em). Anyway, all sorts of names in attendance, but I played my first ever round, other than my local pitch and putt with Kenny Lynch as a playing partner. Feck me, did he take the piss out of my game, although he let up (but only slightly) when he heard I'd never played before! (Favourite put down was "I thought this was the nearest the pin competition, not nearest the county").

Anyway to cut a potentially VERY long story short, we obviously hit the showers at the same time and feck me is it true in his case .. jeez!!!

Later had dinner and shared a taxi home with Anna Walker who had worn jodphurs to play golf in and was in the group ahead of us, no wonder my game was shite, although I can't use that excuse 10 years later, coz I ain't improved much!
Mr. Rick
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2003, 03:49:48 pm »

Lords Taverners Xmas Lunch at The Grosvenor Park Lane 1995

Current Aussie skipper George Gregan one side... John Eales (then) Aussie skipper the other...

Respect is due Sir!! A double ender!!!
Dark Warrior
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2003, 04:21:13 pm »

Rickmeister... Anna Walker... luverly....

Once shared a lift with Emma Forbes at the LWT building on the south bank... I still get an uncontrollable stirring thinking about it even now... she was absolutely beautiful...

DW
Bobblehat
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

A racing we do go....

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2003, 05:01:57 pm »

Two weeks ago I whent to the Bentley owners club meet at Silverstone with my to kids. My 7 year old daughter Amy, had a whale of a time.

1st she got to sit in "Old Mother Gun" wich I belived raced (or did it win?) at Le Mans, then a little sit in a Lotus 11.

We found the EXP8 No 8 Bentley wich they were demonstrating, parked in a garage. my three year old son, JJ, tryed to lift the Le Mans trophy that was just happend to be there! Wich made the Benley crew LOL.

Then we wanderd down to the Britling stand were the vitorious Bentley No7 was parked up. Guy Smith was hanging around talking to a few pepole wih handel-bar mostasches. JJ and Amy were having a look in the car, he wanderd over to JJ and asked if he would like to sit in, he went all shy, but Amy jumped at the chance. The speed she got in the car was so quick that Guy asked if she was avablible for next year!!!

Nice chap that Guy Smith.

Amy was grinning from ear to ear for the rest of the weekend. Dad was green.....

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: