Club Arnage
May 01, 2024, 02:12:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Was Le Mans empty this year?  (Read 10772 times)
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« on: June 18, 2009, 07:26:25 pm »

Has anyone heard some confirmed spectator numbers?

Walking around I had the feeling that there were considerably fewer spectators, my best guess is 20-30% less people compared to previous years. It was most obvious for me at the end of the race when the usually fully packed grandstands and the areas in front of them showed big empty spaces.

All of this although the french home team was winning...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 07:53:32 pm by Werner » Logged

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 07:39:07 pm »

A figure of 234,800 was mentioned on the ACO website
Dirk3D_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Fussballing for Holland!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 07:49:19 pm »

I agree Werner, it was more quiet this year

also during the start of the race it was not as crowded as previous years, plenty of room to walk around

Maison Blanche showing empty spaces was concerning as well, we would have all (CA-group BN) fitted in there I think
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 07:52:50 pm »

I heard the same about Expo, no idea why the ACO didn't sell us tickets for this site.

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 07:54:44 pm »

I heard the same about Expo

Expo didnt look like it had any spare place by Friday ( tho there was a massive Danish camp with hospitality n all that) in the middle field - the entertainment was like a sort of endless wedding disco!....

F
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 07:56:58 pm by Fran » Logged
24hourman
CA Veteran

Racing is life everything else is just waiting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 08:31:53 pm »

There was certainly more people camping this year with 3 new campsites all full. There also appeared to be more corporate camping with companies buying space and then selling on. Regarding the race start and finish there was a lot of spaces available on the start line straight but this was I believe because of the large numbers of Brits and Dutch setting out there chairs early to get a good vantage point. This prevented the French last minute brigade who normally turn up minutes before the start or finish and then stand in front of you. I thought it was absolutely hilarious with a snake of  many 100s of French fair weather race fans trying to battle through the chairs only to find no way through with spaces to stand just metres away. They can have no complaint anyway, because they are lucky that they are able to attend as we all know this is a British race that just happens to be held in France.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 10:07:02 pm by 24hourman » Logged

knetter
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Burn mother...... burn!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 08:43:03 pm »

On eurosport they were talking about roughly 230000 visitors and commented, that F1 would love that kind of numbers!!

from the helicopter pics it looked like MB and KN were very empty indeed. Credit crunch perhaps? or people just being fed up with the ACO

I have given up on being on facebook and myspace, I kept mixing them up and invited people to come on Myface!
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 09:44:53 pm »

from the helicopter pics it looked like MB and KN were very empty indeed. Credit crunch perhaps? or people just being fed up with the ACO
Just the ACO not caring about their visitors, me thinks Undecided

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
Jules G
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 10:04:20 pm »

Maison Blanche showing empty spaces was concerning as well, we would have all (CA-group BN) fitted in there I think

As an MB resident, there were at least 30 empty plots scattered around the site, 10 of those were track side just a few plots away from where DFH were in 08. There was plenty of space in addition at the top of the site close to the entry gate. Roll Eyes
6 Euros - JD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 11:11:36 pm »

RLM mentioned 234,000 as the attendance about an hour before the end.

Having camped on BSJ for the last 5 years we again decided to arrive on Monday to ensure a decent pitch.

Needn't have bothered!

We sat for 3 days in the rain wondering if anyone would turn up at all. Even by Thursday evening the place was deserted compared to previous years. The organiser's plan seemed to be to place people near the central roadway through the first two fields before filling up the rest of the areas.

To be honest though the Securite spent most of Monday and Tuesday pacing out 7m x 5m pitches and marking them with wooden stakes and barrier tape. But no one arrived to occupy them. I'm baffled why they conscientiously sprayed the tops of each stake with orange flourescent paint? (Answers on a postcard please)

You can see how bored we were!

If there appeared to be fewer people about during the race I wasn't aware of it like others seem to be. There has over the last 4 years been a significant increase in the number of spectator areas and this year BSJ had its very own brand new viewing area on the inside of the track at the braking area into the Porsche Curves (Excellent). These areas must attract spectators away from the usual melee in front of the stands. I know we haven't bothered for years.

'Arnage gravel rash ......... a badge of honour'
Dirk3D_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Fussballing for Holland!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 11:28:52 pm »

RLM mentioned 234,000 as the attendance about an hour before the end.

Having camped on BSJ for the last 5 years we again decided to arrive on Monday to ensure a decent pitch.

Needn't have bothered!

We sat for 3 days in the rain wondering if anyone would turn up at all. Even by Thursday evening the place was deserted compared to previous years. The organiser's plan seemed to be to place people near the central roadway through the first two fields before filling up the rest of the areas.

To be honest though the Securite spent most of Monday and Tuesday pacing out 7m x 5m pitches and marking them with wooden stakes and barrier tape. But no one arrived to occupy them. I'm baffled why they conscientiously sprayed the tops of each stake with orange flourescent paint? (Answers on a postcard please)

You can see how bored we were!

If there appeared to be fewer people about during the race I wasn't aware of it like others seem to be. There has over the last 4 years been a significant increase in the number of spectator areas and this year BSJ had its very own brand new viewing area on the inside of the track at the braking area into the Porsche Curves (Excellent). These areas must attract spectators away from the usual melee in front of the stands. I know we haven't bothered for years.

i saw that area on beausejour this year, it was illegally in use 5 years ago by us when we where on BSJ, we where sent of then Cheesy

slow but good thinking of the ACO there, it is a good spot
grumpy
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 12:22:35 am »

Plenty of space on HA as well.  Looked odd to see tents and cars absolutely crammed in to the measured spaces from the early arrivals and lots of empty pitches elsewhere.
Chrisgr31
CA Veteran

Who wants a beer?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 12:55:08 am »

I heard the same about Expo

Expo didnt look like it had any spare place by Friday ( tho there was a massive Danish camp with hospitality n all that) in the middle field - the entertainment was like a sort of endless wedding disco!....

F

Although there was quite a lot of space in the Danish encampent.  They seem to have also taken over 2 rows of cattle sheds, which they really didn't need.

Did you notice that the music on Thursday and Friday nights was identical?  No wonder they didn;t play on Saturday.

Oh and anyone know how the person carted off from Expo in an Ambulance on Friday night was?
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 01:04:17 am »

They seem to have also taken over 2 rows of cattle sheds, which they really didn't need.

Did you notice that the music on Thursday and Friday nights was identical?  No wonder they didn;t play on Saturday.

Oh and anyone know how the person carted off from Expo in an Ambulance on Friday night was?

There were quite a lot of Danish on Expo - didnt specifically notice the main camp had expanded  to the sheds tho.

The music was hilarious... even a bit of death metal thrown in!

Didnt notice an ambulance either!  What time was that?  Where was I?!  Huh

Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 05:43:08 am »

MB had quite a few spare pitches this year including two cracking spots opposite us that remained unused. These were twice as deep as the regular pitch and one had a tap on it too. It was very quiet on MB this year- we wobbled back from Houx at 5am on Saturday morning and you could hear a pin drop- I'd say it was quieter than the classic at times!
 Maybe it was the credit crunch? Certainly seemed to be less riff raff / stag do types and chavs about this year.

Si

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: