Club Arnage
March 28, 2024, 05:14:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP David Bowie  (Read 5672 times)
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2016, 10:00:41 pm »

I know it's not motor racing related, but the world is poorer today for the loss of a true music icon.  If you were a teenager of the seventies a lot of his songs were part of the soundtrack to your life.  Hope he's jamming with Mick Ronson, and SRV as we speak.
Ziggy played guitar...
Fax
aricus654
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 11:33:02 pm »

You can keep your Beatles and your Stones, I never got off on that revolution stuff.

I was always a kook from the Norfolk Broads and Bowie brought me ideas sounds and emotions that I wouldn't have had without him.

A real loss.

Aricus

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made
Lord Steve
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The only self appointed peer on Maison Blanche!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 06:54:42 am »

R.I.P. David Bowie.
thank you for changing eveything forever. Keep jamming good with Wierd and Gilly.

Steve

I tested negative for patience.
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 11:34:05 pm »

A true loss, music of our formative Youth Clubs. Maybe our Friday night theme should be dead legends, dress and music, too much choice unfortunately though.
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 01:59:04 pm »

A real loss alright, I was surprised how much of a body blow it was when I heard the news.
I was never really a huge fan, thinking his work was a bit patchy, I think 'Low' is the only album of his I've got. It says a lot though when I realise I probably know the words of all of his songs backwards, and almost every track of his reminds me of a time and a place. I guess that's the meaning of a Life Soundtrack.
As it happens, I was inches away from the camera in the Ashes to Ashes video, and a mate of mine was driving the bulldozer (CAT D8 IIRC). He thought it was going to be his moment of fame, but then got well pissed off when the director gave him a black bin liner to put over his head. Can't say I blame the director tbh.
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 09:59:13 pm »

Ditto the above.

The first concert I went to as a lad was Bowie on the '72 Ziggy Stardust tour in Birmingham Town Hall.

Awesome memories seared into the brain.

RIP and with so many thanks for the music

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 01:49:24 pm »

A real loss alright, I was surprised how much of a body blow it was when I heard the news.
I was never really a huge fan, thinking his work was a bit patchy, I think 'Low' is the only album of his I've got. It says a lot though when I realise I probably know the words of all of his songs backwards, and almost every track of his reminds me of a time and a place. I guess that's the meaning of a Life Soundtrack.
As it happens, I was inches away from the camera in the Ashes to Ashes video, and a mate of mine was driving the bulldozer (CAT D8 IIRC). He thought it was going to be his moment of fame, but then got well pissed off when the director gave him a black bin liner to put over his head. Can't say I blame the director tbh.
H

I wonder if you remember this too, it's quite brilliant.

* Bowieimage1.JPG (167.61 KB, 540x960 - viewed 370 times.)

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 07:17:24 pm »

Fantastic!
I hasten to add though, I didn't have a dog.
There were a couple of mechanics apprentices watching things with me, - young local lads working with the earthworks plant. Quite a few muscles, and bare chested into the bargain. Steve Strange was one of the dudes dressed up with Bowie, and as soon as there was a gap in shooting, he was over like a rat up a drainpipe chatting the lads up. Did I say they were very young and very local? Anyway, they disappeared with Mr Strange once the filming finished, and were last seen getting into the crews coach. They turned up at work 4 days later. I've never actually seen a shell shocked veteran from WW1, but I imagine they must have looked a little like these lads when they got back.
Never the same again.
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
Nobby Diesel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 03:51:15 am »

Late to the tribute party, but I have to say, the passing of David Bowie had the most profound effect on me.
There aren't many things which I have cried about in life, but this one.
Trudging around the M25, I had tears rolling down my cheeks when I heard he had had passed. Bowie set the standard for my formative years.
Truly missed.

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
aricus654
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 08:39:56 pm »

Last year Mr T and I saw Holy Holy at Shephers Bush O2.  Holy Holy is Tony Viscinti (Bowie's producer) and chums - Woody Woodmansy, a Glen Gregory with people like Marc Almond as guests.

I cannot recommend this highly enough if you are an early years Bowie fan.  They did the UK, USA and Japan on the last tour.

Aricus

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: