Club Arnage
March 29, 2024, 02:18:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Club Arnage Guide – it’s time to say good-bye!  (Read 14912 times)
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« on: June 20, 2016, 08:32:15 am »

Hi there,

I’m back from Le Mans and once again it was a blast. Great to catch up with lots of you again! I feel really sorry for the Toyota guys, but an old adage in Motor racing has become the truth once again: “To finish first, you first have to finish”. In 30 years I’ve seen already a fair amount of cars retiring in the last half hour of the race, but since it never was the overall leader and it never was in the really very last lap this never made headlines. Le Mans is tough, mean, cruel and doesn’t allow the slightest mistake.

Back to the topic of this post:

Most of you know that I’ve been publishing the CA Guide since the beginning of it; many of you have contributed to it in the past. Putting the annual CA Guide together was something which I really loved to do and it had become a fixed part of my pre-Le Mans routine for 11 years now. However, 2 weeks ago when I compiled the final pdf-version of the 2016 edition I made the decision that this would be my last one.

Why? Let’s face it: The guide has become obsolete.

When we started this project back in 2006 there was only little information about the race and almost no practical information for race visitors on the internet available. Some bits and pieces were spread over various forums but there was no central source. Even a proper entry list was hard to come by. In those days collecting the information and putting all of it in the CA Guide really made sense and created value. For many years the CA Guide was the only complete source of information for English speaking race visitors and especially for the newbies. I remember the 2011 edition had a volume of 154 pages…

But times have changed; nowadays there is a lot of excellent, high quality information available on the web, most notably:

• The spotter’s guide at www.spotterguides.com: Entry list, track map, basic race week schedule and info about the 4 classes squeezed on just 3 pages. This is very handy to print out and take to the race track; actually this is all you need. It’s a great format, excellent quality; we couldn’t do it any better!
  • The 24h Website in its English version: Even the ACO has got its act together now and is providing a proper website with plenty of information about the race and additional stuff for planning your visit at La Sarthe: St. Saturnin, Drivers parade, scrutineering, support races, ceremony of hands etc., it’s all in there.
  • The English version of the ACO app “24 on site”: Has all you need while watching the race –circuit description, race week schedule, sporting regs, entry list and a lot more - for Android and iPhones.

Scanning through all the information which these sources provide I found that the CA Guide doesn’t really create additional value any more. Almost all of the information which I had put in the 2016 edition was available there too, and some of it in even better quality. So I decided to skip printing a copy of the guide for myself this year. Instead I printed out just the spotter’s guide and downloaded the ACO and WEC apps to my smartphone at home – you can use most of it even without internet connection! And I did fine with that during the race weekend, I had all the information I needed at hand and I didn’t have to carry tons of paper.

Printed guidebooks are a thing of the past; nowadays mobile apps are the deal. The CA Guide as an app? I thought about it for a moment, but let’s be honest: What could we provide which isn’t already available in the ACO or WEC apps?

The CA Guide was way ahead of anything else when we started it in 2006; but I think it has outlived its usefulness now and it’s time for the funeral.

Some of you will ask: What about the support for our chosen charities? I’m sure we can find other ways to raise funds for them; this could be a topic for another thread.

I think different about parts of the CA wiki though, especially the campsite descriptions. Currently these are not available in good quality anywhere else. I think we should continue to maintain or even extend this section of the wiki so newbies can properly prepare their pilgrimage. The same applies to the information for visitors with disabilities. May be it’s an idea to shift our focus to the preparation phase for the Le Mans camper – and provide this online only. Your opinions, please!

However, if anyone wants to take over and continue publishing the CA Guide I’ll be glad to assist and transfer my knowledge.

Werner

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Ninka

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 09:39:31 am »

Hi Werner, big thanks for the efforts, the CA guide was a big help in 2006 and 07, where we visit the Le Mans for the first and second time on our own.

With regards

Ninka from Denmark
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 10:08:25 am »

Thanks Werner, yes you are right, there is nowhere to take the CA guide forward, you have done a magnificent job yourself and co ordinated the many superb contributions from others. Top job.
Landy_Jon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 10:20:02 am »

When I came across the guide it was very handy indeed and many thanks for the effort from you and everyone else over the years for producing such a good document
I can fully understand the reasons why the guide as a guide has probably been overtaken by other multi-media sources but is there scope for retaining some elements of it (ie camping, transit, general observations about how to get the best from Le Mans etc) to be on this forum as a CA focused source of info?  I would of course be happy to contribute/help as a veteran camper, european and intercontinental traveller and sometimes writer.

Just a thought.

JW
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 11:10:56 am by Landy_Jon » Logged
Dirk3D_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Fussballing for Holland!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 08:23:07 pm »

thanks for all the work you did on this Werner!
mike(liverpool boys)
Club Arnage Demi God

If in doubt,flat out! - Colin McRae

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 08:26:32 pm »

Sign of the times. The guide was very helpful in my first years of visiting Le Mans so thank you to all who contributed.

They have lumps of what round the back???
lynxd67

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 09:15:38 pm »

Werner, a big thank you for the time and effort you have put in over the years. On a different note, I shall feel substantially less pressure next test day! And you'll be pleased to know that the camera worked fine once I'd sorted out the gremlins.
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 09:54:22 pm »

On a different note, I shall feel substantially less pressure next test day! And you'll be pleased to know that the camera worked fine once I'd sorted out the gremlins.

Grin - Good to hear your camera is OK!

hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 09:57:33 pm »

.... but is there scope for retaining some elements of it (ie camping, transit, general observations about how to get the best from Le Mans etc) to be on this forum as a CA focused source of info?  

JW

Yes, the CA wiki should be continued and excatly the topics you suggest (camping, travel routes etc...) should be maintained, because this is not really covered anywhere else. See http://www.clubarnage.com/wiki/doku.php?id=ca_guide:toc and feel free to add any stuff

Landy_Jon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 07:15:40 am »

Will do Werner.

Thanks again.
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 08:00:05 am »

Will do Werner.

Thanks again.

I'll give the wiki a new structure soon, e.g. seperate chpaters for each campsite.

Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

I'd rather have another Tropillama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 03:58:30 pm »

Hi Werner,
     I agree the guide is a little out dated.  But that said it is a complete guide.  There is IMHO nothing to match it.  Maintaining it is a major undertaking. I sure you will agree that many parts of the guide have changed only slightly since the first publication.  But the sections on things like the entry list takes a lot of work.  So keeping the wiki is a great idea.  Yes you can find most of the information in other places on the internet but the CA guide has most of it all in one place.

Thank you for having the idea and for making it happen.  Plus thank you to all of the contributors over the years.

T

PS.  It was great to see you made the trip.  (I knew you would! :-)

t

La Légend s` écrit sous vos yeux.
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 08:13:03 pm »

The guide has been a valuable guide and has helped many people and I have been pleased to have played a small part in it, but l agree that times have moved on and the need has reduced as most info is available at your finger tip.

The updating of the wiki would be good as it provides a year round resource to people thinking ahead. If I can help with that I will do.

Thank you Werner for the original idea and making it happen each year!

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
aricus654
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 09:04:59 pm »

Werner,

I'm not sure that I can begin to fully appreciate the amount of work and dedication that has goes into The Guide each year, but I know that it is very high.

I'm sure that you know from what I have written on this forum that I hold The  Guide in the highest regard.

I have strong views about what it is and where it goes. Let us have a separate topic on what we do next.

In terms of raising charity funds, although I am keen to see money raised, as I see it CA exists for the people first and foremost.

For me, I am pleased to be associated with Club Arnage and the guide that it produces that brings me so much pleasure to read and use.

Aricus

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made
John G

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2016, 10:08:39 pm »

I too would like to add my thanks and appreciation

Although I kind of agree that it's time for a re-think, unlike previous years I only used the guide this year, albeit in electronic form, for my 'virtual' weekend, why have fragments when you can have it all in one place

I would hope that the guide will continue, as far as I am concerned it's unique
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 10:10:12 pm by John G » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: