Club Arnage
March 29, 2024, 09:25:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Virtual Le Mans - 13/14 June  (Read 9153 times)
lofty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

joint european drinking initiative

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2020, 08:09:18 pm »

I was thinking which virtual non celeb would be waving the virtual tricolore to start the race.mr blobby perhaps.

J.E.D.I.
i dont want to be in a club
i want to be in a gang
or perhaps a drinking order
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2020, 08:50:19 pm »

Perfect choice.  Mr Blobby made several big impacts in 1997, and probably needs the money

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2020, 12:21:47 pm »

I was thinking which virtual non celeb would be waving the virtual tricolore to start the race.mr blobby perhaps.

Probably that Chris Martin and his f**king guitar. He usually turns up everywhere else. He must be bored shitless at the moment.

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
lofty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2020, 05:59:08 pm »

sh*t virtual band,crap celeb flag person,l hope it farkin rains all weekend and the virtual beer is sh*t aswell.        And make it allnice for September.please.

J.E.D.I.
i want to be in a gang
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2020, 09:23:31 am »

sh*t virtual band,crap celeb flag person,l hope it farkin rains all weekend and the virtual beer is sh*t aswell.        And make it allnice for September.please.

I've a funny feeling its going to run behind closed doors in September  Undecided

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
lofty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2020, 08:11:31 pm »

50,000-100,000 perhaps.

J.E.D.I.
i want to be in a gang
lofty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2020, 04:52:43 pm »

Tony Parker a basketball megastar started the race.never heard of him.

J.E.D.I.
i want to be in a gang
ewan
CA Veteran

Hammer didn't fix it. Must be electrical fault.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2020, 03:23:17 pm »

well, I didn't have the social engagement that I started this thread thinking about.. but the virtual 24H race was very enjoyable - not as good as the real thing, but I thought it was highly impressive. The coverage was great, the racing was really good too.

I could imagine this kind of thing could carry on - imagine if you had a physical Le Mans in June and a virtual Le Mans in February or something - could be a good way of sharpening up some of the teams and drivers.

The virtual experience would be better if there was some kind of actual pitstop (rather than cars just sitting still for some period of time), and if the damage done by crashing was visible - so if you pile into a tyre wall, you'd expect bodywork to be flailing about as you limp back to the pits...

Now the Virtual 24h has been done, I fully expect the ACO to announce that the real one will have no spectators... if it happens at all...

Newspaper misprints from around the world:
    "After the boat had been secured above the wrecked galleon the
    apparatus was set in motion by the captain's 18-year old daughter,
    Veronica. Within an hour, she was yielding her treasure to the
    excited crew."
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2020, 05:33:48 pm »

I watched some of it and was quite impressed. The graphics and car movement are really quite lifelike.
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2020, 08:51:40 pm »

well, I didn't have the social engagement that I started this thread thinking about.. but the virtual 24H race was very enjoyable - not as good as the real thing, but I thought it was highly impressive. The coverage was great, the racing was really good too.

I could imagine this kind of thing could carry on - imagine if you had a physical Le Mans in June and a virtual Le Mans in February or something - could be a good way of sharpening up some of the teams and drivers.

The virtual experience would be better if there was some kind of actual pitstop (rather than cars just sitting still for some period of time), and if the damage done by crashing was visible - so if you pile into a tyre wall, you'd expect bodywork to be flailing about as you limp back to the pits...

Now the Virtual 24h has been done, I fully expect the ACO to announce that the real one will have no spectators... if it happens at all...

ewan,
         the computer boffins say what you are asking for , while possible, would take massive amounts of computing power. Only 50 cars for the same reason. Although we did not "see" damage the drivers apparently felt it.  The cars did at least go up on the jacks in pit lane.  IMSA has done some too but limited to fewer cars and only about an hour with  no pit stops or damage. I wonder if this was the longest duration simulation ever?
Phil                                                                           
jimclark

(nothing more needs to be said)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2020, 10:33:31 pm »

It was announced as so, but I wonder if some "kids" (young or old) hadn't already....  I know I would have as a youngster had we had computers back in the 'x0s (). I don't think they would have been able to handle 50 entries though.

As it was, one year, a few friends (5; 2 three driver teams. Kevin, Charlie and I; Ricky, Bill, and Joe) and I ran 12 and 24 hour races with our Aurora H.O. cars, mimicking Sebring and Le Mans as part of one of our "seasons".

Yes, 2 cots in our basement where the track was...2 could rest (not much sleepin' went on tho') while 2 drove and 2 marshalled; loo and meal breaks were our "yellows" and "reds"...). We had a ball..... (our family's weren't too happy but they saw their kids keeping out of trouble with a good hobby....). My mom was a great "caterer"... Smiley

It was a decent circuit also. Not 3 1/2 minute laps, more like 20 seconds, but a good variety of curves, straights, and, unlike S or LM, a couple of elevation changes..... The worse part was the lap counter only registered up to 99 laps so we had to remember to keep track and mark off each hundred as, of course, it would reset to zero. Sad
Le Mans winners  turned 3900+ laps and Sebring 2200+ (no yellows or reds during Sebring, just snacks; and, go pee on your own time... Wink)

'Glad we didn't do the "24 of Daytona" as we undoubtedly would not have done the other two. "Sebring" wasn't too bad, but after "le Mans", we swore we'd never do it again....(thus no Watkins Glen 6 Hour)..... Tongue Roll Eyes 'Just too much. It did give us something to look forward too with anticipation at the end of that school year as we couldn't pull it off during a normal school time weekend.

My team won both. 'Literally "home" track advantage? 'Prolly so....... Smiley
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 10:38:01 pm by jimclark » Logged

"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

jimclark
Kev_mk3
Club Arnage God

The Cheeky Northern Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2020, 10:28:19 am »

I enjoyed it, I have been watching alot of esports since it arrived at Le Mans a few years back and taking part in some. Its not easy at all. Really is good to see it develop and a lot of big stars getting involved.

ewan
CA Veteran

Hammer didn't fix it. Must be electrical fault.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2020, 10:54:39 am »

ewan,
         the computer boffins say what you are asking for , while possible, would take massive amounts of computing power. Only 50 cars for the same reason. Although we did not "see" damage the drivers apparently felt it.  The cars did at least go up on the jacks in pit lane.  IMSA has done some too but limited to fewer cars and only about an hour with  no pit stops or damage. I wonder if this was the longest duration simulation ever?
Phil                                                                           

Well, compute power is plentiful in some parts of the world... if the money is there...

If you're interested in the scale of these things, take a look at https://youtu.be/X-0V6bYfTpA?t=427
I've been in DB3, DB4 and DB5 - each of them is a step forward from the last, and they look like the closing scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark... just vast inside. Be in no doubt, if the demand was there and the funding could pay for it, we could have sim racing with more cars, photorealistic impact yadda yadda yadda.

The cool thing about this virtual 24h race was to show that there's more interest in this kind of racing - and that might mean more serious players with more $$ will get involved.

Who knows, in 30 years time when everything is electric, you might even find the only way to take part in noisy motorsport is to do it in simulators...

Newspaper misprints from around the world:
    "After the boat had been secured above the wrecked galleon the
    apparatus was set in motion by the captain's 18-year old daughter,
    Veronica. Within an hour, she was yielding her treasure to the
    excited crew."
jimclark

(nothing more needs to be said)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2020, 01:35:33 pm »

Who knows, in 30 years time when everything is electric, you might even find the only way to take part in noisy motorsport is to do it in simulators...

Sorrowfully, I believe there's a far greater probabilty than "might" in hearing no more than a high pitched "whirrrrr" in real auto racing's near future.......Sad........(and, Angry at the tree huggers that will cause the ICE powerplant's demise in racing; the sport being an infinitesimal contributor of pollution.)

"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

jimclark
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2020, 08:11:20 pm »

Being more of the engineer side I didn't like it. I watched a couple of laps and when the cars came into the empty pits and looked as though they were going up on jacks I turned off and watched Truth in 24hrs 1 and 2 on Youtube. I liked the in car but it did nothing for me. The pit stops and how the teams react is everthing at Le Mans to me

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: