Club Arnage
April 28, 2024, 10:57:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Attention Mr harper  (Read 23711 times)
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2004, 04:24:02 pm »

Very impressive Steve - thank you for digging these out. These shots were taken before we bought the car. Ricardo bought it in 1984 and we ran 85/6 seasons. As in the pix, the car was running a nitrous injected SP450 Daimler hemi, which looked great, but was a little fragile. We ended up blowing the block to smithereens, by over liberal application of the giggle gas. The cylinder block literally fell apart when we took the heads off.
In order to creat a more robust package, we installed a 460ci wide-block that came out of Dave Gradys 57 Fairlane "Spirit of the Fifties". This 4 bolt engine had much more torque (but was a little heavier) and delivered around 430hp (without the N2O) It had a 1000cfm Holley Dominator and was a real handfull out of the traps. It had the original Jaguar solid axle, which was a little worrisome, half-shaft-wise. But it did the job.
Best et was right on the bracket 9.26 148mph. It was quite a good car to drive (tracked straight and stopped OK) but it would easily rotate the tyres on the rims and when it got out of shape it needed catching quick - we installed a larger steering wheel, to help that.
Ricardo ended up trading it against a gasser - a 1971 351ci Pinto called 'Revellution' - now, that bastard was truly scary! Got anything on that one Steve??

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2004, 05:03:57 pm »

Do your remember the rail dragster run my Russ Carpenter that used a SP450 Daimler engine running on a mild mix of nitromethane !

Steve East Anglian cobras

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2004, 05:14:26 pm »

Ricardo ended up trading it against a gasser - a 1971 351ci Pinto called 'Revellution' - now, that bastard was truly scary! Got anything on that one Steve??
The only 'Revelution' that immediately springs to mind is Clive Skilton's Top Fuel dragster's.

I'm off to the attic for more research!

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2004, 05:18:03 pm »

A Pinto something like this?

[attachment deleted by admin]

powermite
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2004, 05:38:41 pm »

Blimey that brings back memories.Didnt he have a Pop in a similar paint scheme?
PM
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2004, 07:51:16 pm »

A Pinto something like this?

Jeezus, Steve, that's the car! It was offered as a prize in a Revell models competition and the winner couldn't handle it. Ricardo drove that car on the street! It was bloody ridiculous. It ended up Porsche Guards Red - a truly immaculate paint job. I never drove it on the strip (Richard did), but it was a ferocious car - had a 351 Windsor V8 Wiend tunnel ram, 750 double pumper, Crane hi-lift, Moroso - the lot.
I never told him this, but I very nearly crashed it in the car park at Screamin' Alley in Kent, when it 'got away from me' - it was scary.
Where was this pic taken? Looks like Pennine?
PM your correct - Des built a Cleveland powered Ford Anglia that was even stronger than the Pinto.

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2004, 08:16:23 pm »

Here's a couple more to look for Steve.
Phil Welch's 71 428 Cobra Jet Mustang, "Wildman"
Sue Coles, altered "Hellzapoppin"
Jeff Hauser's 71 440 6-Pak Challenger (I wanted that car sooooo bad!)
There was also a guy from Leeds (I can't) remember his name, but he had a Peugeot 405 bodied pro-comp with a monster Rodeck engine in it.
I've really lost touch with current drag racing - but I used to love competing and watching. My brother Dave and I were at the US Nats at IRP when Eddie Hill broke into the 4's (1988, I think) racing Kenny Bernstein. It was totally awesome. John Force broke the funny car record at that meeting too.
Anyone remember The Ant Hill Mob, from Stockport - used to turn up at Pennine with a couple of nasty Fords and a Luton van full of spares and horny women - those dudes were cool and influenced me, in wanting to get involved - it was just for shits and giggles - and it was super-friendly. We got out when people started spending 20 grand on a jnr comp engine - ah, those were the days!

Bobblehat
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

A racing we do go....

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2004, 08:29:46 pm »

I rember a "Mr Six" that ran a SP450 - if thats the old Daimler motor? Was that run by a guy called Dennis Priddel?

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2004, 08:48:52 pm »

Yes, Mr Six was driven by Dennis Priddle - but he was latterly a Keith Black engine man.
Robin Read (of the Jim Read / Steve Read 'Le Patron' fuel dragster family) also ran a SP450 engined dragster in the early 80's.  Steve Read moved to Australia and ran in Alcohol / Methanol dragster classes.

Geoff Hauser now builds cars / chassis for other people see http://www.hauserracing.com/.
I remember the 440 Challenger being driven by Sylvia Hauser in Modified and later Super Gas classes.  She later drove a Ford Sierra with the Dodge engine shoe horned in.

I'll dig up some photos.

Bobblehat
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

A racing we do go....

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2004, 08:57:01 pm »

Glad the old brain ait to gone! I rember seeing "Mr Six" at the opening of "Long Marston" made a big impresion on me as a young lad overdosing on Street Machine & Hot Rod and any other mags that had cars with large motors and flames - real or painted.

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2004, 09:21:23 pm »

Okay,
Sylvia Hauser :

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2004, 09:22:02 pm »

Hellzapopin'

Bobblehat
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

A racing we do go....

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2004, 09:31:17 pm »

Stev do you have a pic of the Reliant Scimitar (no not a Robin) it run as a "Funny Car" I think? I only ask as I was in mine at the petrol station and a lady asked me a few questions about mine and said she used to dragrace one, but not with an Essex V6 said it was too small a motor for some reason Huh

Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2004, 10:17:38 pm »

Okay,
Sylvia Hauser :

Jesus, just look how that big Mopar digs in. That's the ex-Paul Rossi Challenger I think. It is the absolute epitome of early 70's American muscle. Some people say it should have a 426 hemi in it to be the absolute, but the 440 wedge was equally good and produced in the thousands. One hell of a motor car, and no mistake.

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2004, 10:33:30 pm »

Yes, the ex- Paul Rossi car

and pretty good at burnouts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up