Club Arnage
April 27, 2024, 07:46:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Attention Mr harper  (Read 23696 times)
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2004, 07:21:47 pm »

I couldn't edit the f***ing link to the site, so here it is again.

www.ukdrn.co.uk/mc/4.35@317.mov

Arha, it's the @ that sods it up.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2004, 07:23:50 pm by Steve Brown » Logged

Steve East Anglian cobras

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2004, 09:52:47 pm »

Steve - thanks for that - do you know what sort of rocket (rather than jet I presume) motor it was running?  It doesn't seem to lay any articularly visible exhaust

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2004, 09:28:40 am »

Apparently some kind of 'homemade' hybrid hydrogen peroxide affair.

There's a good 'history' of Sammy here :

http://www.trakbytes.com/hofsm.html

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2004, 01:28:31 pm »

That explains it - the reaction produces water, at the sort of temperature that it is not visibler as steam - same sort of rocket motor that the Brits used in the 1960s in the space race.    And yes - we did actually put an object in space - the Prospero satellite - with the last launch of a Black Arrow rocket from Woomera on October 28, 1971 before the programme was chopped.  

[attachment deleted by admin]

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Brian(Liverpool boys)
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2004, 01:35:09 pm »

They had a rocket powered car at Le Mans a few years ago, do not remember what year, I am sure someone will quote the year, it ran up the pit straight on the Saturday morning before the race, it was awsome.

To make your dreams come true, you have to stay awake.
More Low Flyer's anyone.
Bobblehat
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

A racing we do go....

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2004, 05:48:39 pm »

Rover had a Jet car that raced at LM, came 10th I think Hill was one drive who was the other.

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2004, 07:10:16 pm »

A jet car yes, but not a thrust jet, rather a turbine driving the wheels.

The Rover BRM raced at LM in 1965 driven by Graham Hill and Jackie Stewart.  The car was 10th overall at 99mph (13.5mpg) in spite of engine damage.

Here's a piccy

(Bobblehat, thanks for nicely steering the thread back to Le Mans  Wink  )

Bobblehat
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

A racing we do go....

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2004, 07:51:46 pm »

Thats the little beauty Cheesy, never new it was wee Jackie with him, must of been an intresting seat fitting!! I think the car is at Gaydon and still runs from time to time.

On the subject of turbines I rember reading that an American car maker was going to go to LM in the 90's with a turbine car that ran generators to charge batteries......or have I been eating too much cheese again  Tongue

Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2004, 03:15:59 am »

Matt , just needed to bring this to page 1 for you.

a little update on the mini.

Its now a mini Turbo, courtesy of a 1300 A series garret T2 turbo producing with a small addition to the exhaust, 100 bhp.

It wont be fit to run until 2005 , but it will be fun at the traffic light grand prix.

Maybe a few Dr's track days first Huh?

Take life by the horns and live it.
powermite
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2004, 08:34:33 am »

Bloody hell Robbo,only nitrous to go now and you'll be able to break the speed limit!!!

PM
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2004, 10:15:57 am »

Robbo,

Well done lad - sounds good.   Rather than nitrous though, stick on a decent intercooler and add an Aquamist injector to the manifold to make the intake air even cooler and denser, into which you can then squirt more fuel = bigger bangs.   Relatively uncomplicated and, as well as providing a nifty increase in power, it works well on temperature control.   Works even better when the liquid injected is a 50/50 mix of methanol and water.
We installed it on the off-road spaceframe pictured below that we're racing this season, which is shoved along by a turbo lump - difference in power and smoothness of power delivery is noticeable.  

Mark

Nobby Diesel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2004, 10:17:55 am »

Take a look at the vinyl lettering on th bonnet. Oh, how we used to do things; and thought they looked good.
These are the same self adhesive letters that you can buy at your local hardware shop.

I could never get them to stay on long enough to get round the next corner - I'm sure that these were put on for the picture.

Pure quality.

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2004, 05:11:41 pm »

Blimey Charlie!!
What form of motorsport is this?? You appear to be driving headlong into a wall of earth and countryside, is it a kind of sod arranging or turf cutting competition? And the orange flag, is that a "help, get me the f**k out of here" signal from the hitchhiker picked up earlier?
It also appears to be raining jellyfish.
H
« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 05:12:17 pm by BigH » Logged

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2004, 09:27:54 pm »

Matt , just needed to bring this to page 1 for you.

a little update on the mini.

Its now a mini Turbo, courtesy of a 1300 A series garret T2 turbo producing with a small addition to the exhaust, 100 bhp.

It wont be fit to run until 2005 , but it will be fun at the traffic light grand prix.

Maybe a few Dr's track days first Huh?

Thanks for the update Robbo - power to weight ratio is moving your project into hot hatch territory. You may consider keeping your hands clean and swapping it for an RS Turbo Fiesta, Fiat Uno or Pug 205 GTI and not have a steering wheel positioned like that of a London bus and enjoying similar or better performance, with more creature comfort. I admire your ingenuity and gritty fortitude, but as the old saying goes, no matter how hard you try, you just can't polish a turd.
Give it up, Robbo, it'll only end up pissing you off - after all that hard graft and welding fumes, to still get shut down at the lights by kids in rice burners.

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2004, 09:45:18 pm »

Blimey Charlie!!
What form of motorsport is this?? You appear to be driving headlong into a wall of earth and countryside, is it a kind of sod arranging or turf cutting competition? And the orange flag, is that a "help, get me the f**k out of here" signal from the hitchhiker picked up earlier?
It also appears to be raining jellyfish.
H

H - 'tis the renowned sport of hill rallying and competitive safaris in the British Off-Road Championship- enormous fun and relatively cheap motorsport.   Your assessment is absolutely accurate, although I think that at this stage of that round, we had got rather bored with turf cutting and sod arranging and were trying a new method of sub-surface aquaplaning.   The jellyfish were numerous, massive and quite pi**ed off at being disturbed from their usual pastime of lurking around in deep muddy pools waiting for unsuspecting ramblers.   The orange flag is probably just a course marker being waved helplessly by one of said ramblers.   Sadly, I do not yet have a shot taken at the same place on the final round of the day, when we the bonnet flipped onto the windscreen, as the bonnet pins sheared, as we entered the water with an injudicious excess of speed....... Just for the hell of it, here's another fairly dynamic piccy of the infernal machine on terra firma.

* wb2.JPG (32.39 KB, 549x387 - viewed 187 times.)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: