Club Arnage
March 29, 2024, 05:51:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting to Mulsanne  (Read 9634 times)
Brad Zarse
Demi Moore's toy boy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Drinking can be hazardous to your health.....

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2004, 02:58:31 pm »

This might be a Taboo subject, particuarly as Mulsanne is off limits - but I have heard of people watching the cars flying down the straight and I'd REALLY like to see this - is there any tried and tested methods for getting to the straight?

If you dont want to put it on a forum, just drop me an email - BradRWills@aol.com

Cheers

Check out my band!  www.blackmarketband.co.uk
On Facebook:  www.facebook.com/bandblackmarket

See you at a gig soon?
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 03:11:12 pm »

Some useful advice here:

http://www.clubarnage.com/yabbse/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=211;start=0.

I 'm sure there have been other threads on the topic too, either in General Discussion or Help, that might reveal other useful info.   If you want to stay on the right side of the law, the garden in the cafe next to the Shanghai restaurant still has reasonable viewing standing on tables against the fence - not as close as it used to be in the shrubbery next to the Armco, but still impressive.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 08:29:20 pm »

Easy. Or used to be....
Exit infield under bridge at Tetre Rouge. Take first right, which is a farm road, running parallel to track. The road ends in a farm yard, so jump the fence before you get to farm and head out across the feilds towards the track, which you can see and hear in the distance. The fields are a bit boggy and you have to get across two water filled ditches, then scale an embankment and get through a big hedge - but it's worth it! You are right on the guardrail 15 feet away from cars blasting by at 180mph. You end up about 400 yards north of 1st chicane and cars have just selected top gear at this point. You'll know you are in the right place, due to a large collection of old Guinness cans littering the area.
Go under cover of darkness and be wary of track marshalls and coppers, who have no sense of humour about this kind of activity.

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 10:41:23 pm »

You can usually still hang over the fence like the old days during qualifying

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
RobP
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 11:50:26 pm »

They've been taking safety more seriously there over the last few years. I last took a look there 2 years ago and the fences had grown in hight & made less see through so not much could be seen at all.

The noise is incredible though.

Not like it was just a few years ago...

(Apologies for not getting a car in the pic, but they were moving too damn fast!)

[attachment deleted by admin]
TonyT
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 02:33:28 pm »

You could watch it here until about 3 years ago.

In my first year (6 yrs ago), this is where we watched the start of the race from. I'll never forget it.

Radio LM signalled the start and you could hear the rumble in the distance. I remember watching the helicopters, tracking the leaders, getting closer and closer. I wasn't sure what to expect. The noise got deeper and louder by the second. The helicopters had turned around Tetre Rouge heading down the straight and I remember the feeling the the cars through my feet as they got closer.

As the cars went past, it made your bones shake and the hairs stand up on the back of your neck, not to mention the effect on the ears. It was absolutely awesone being so close to the track with the cars going so quick (except if you are watching Merc's that is).

It's a shame you can't stand so close anymore.

Tony
dryhen
CA Veteran

Bedford CF Challenger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2004, 08:50:56 pm »

In about 1983/4 we managed to get a window seat in the restaurant during the early evening....... I remember the curtains moving as the cars went past !! Awesome.  And there was only TWO rows of Armco then .....

The older I get, the faster I was.
dryhen
CA Veteran

Bedford CF Challenger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2004, 08:53:42 pm »

........and I've still got a Restaurant des 24Heures plate, and a Ricard water container to prove it !!  No good being young if you cant't be a kleptomaniac !

BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2004, 03:10:46 pm »

No good being young if you cant't be a kleptomaniac !

I'm even more positive now that P&O put something in the drink.
One of our lot brought his son along one year, he'd have been about sixteen. I've never seen such a concerted effort at thievery in my life. Nothing was safe from the two of them, even before they got off the ferry they'd stashed thousands of fags away. We christened them Klepto & Son, and kept well away when we could. The suspension on their car was bottoming out on the journey back, and we thought customs may be a problem (this was about '89). It was.

(When Halleys Comet was out and about, the young lad saw an article on the TV about it and decided to go outside and take a look. After about 10 minutes he came back. "Dad, I can't see nothing!". Dad gave him a torch and told him to "try again with this". Out he went for another search.....)
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
dryhen
CA Veteran

Bedford CF Challenger

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2004, 01:45:07 pm »

Quote from: dryhen No good being young if you cant't be a kleptomaniac !
[quote

.....Come to think of it, we also have a 'Gitanes' banner (used to be tied to the Armco - ads are painted on now), and a mate managed to remove a road sign showing Arnage and Mulsanne, which has pride of place in his garage. He managed to hoof it over the wall of the campsite, and retrieve it before some other thieving SOB got his hands on it .... he thought that was preferable to trying to explain it to the chaps on the gate  Wink Wink Cheesy

gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2004, 03:05:12 pm »

and a mate managed to remove a road sign showing Arnage and Mulsanne, which has pride of place in his garage.

Kind of explains why there aren't many signposts left in the area.  

Reality is an illusion caused by alchohol deficiency!
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2004, 08:10:31 pm »

and a mate managed to remove a road sign showing Arnage and Mulsanne, which has pride of place in his garage.

Kind of explains why there aren't many signposts left in the area.  
As you may know, flags are my thing, not that this penchant hasn't led to trouble in the past. Did I ever tell you about the flag we had away following a visit to a beer festival in Belgium in 1990? I still have the huge flag but only half a set of teeth.  Cry

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2004, 08:30:06 pm »

We christened them Klepto & Son, and kept well away when we could.

Nice one! Got a serious guffaw out of me, anyway.  

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2004, 09:50:39 pm »

I seem to get 'carried away with it all' after the parade every year and cut the banners and flags off the barriers - collection includes Cadillac, Corvette Racing, Total oil and a long string of Corvette flag bunting.

Steve East Anglian cobras

jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2004, 01:44:08 am »

As you may know, flags are my thing, not that this penchant hasn't led to trouble in the past. Did I ever tell you about the flag we had away following a visit to a beer festival in Belgium in 1990? I still have the huge flag but only half a set of teeth.  Cry

You should get together with Dan (doesn't post here that often at the moment)

One of the nutters in his group aparently shinned out on the rea flag pole of the Pride of Le Havre and had it away with the Red Ensign..........mid channel of course!!!  Shocked
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: