Club Arnage
April 25, 2024, 12:54:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'till my ears bleed!  (Read 30090 times)
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2004, 05:19:44 pm »

It's funny how most people associate a place along with the noise. Me too.
In my minds eye I recall the sound and sight of the Astons viewed from a pile of breeze blocks in a half built hotel next to the Mulsanne, with the sound coming through the trees, a sort of dopplered shade. The 333SP's are getting back on the gas after getting around Mulsanne corner. The Mazdas on the pit straight, with the noise bouncing around the grandstands and seemingly straight up my trouser leg, and the Olive Garden going brake-floor it-brake at Arnage.
The Olive Garden car was a Lola Judd V10 I think, I haven't heard the one about the drivers Andy, maybe the Italian sponsor had them whacked for a late debt or the wrong choice of pasta sauce.
It's from my Japs eye that I recall my testicles rattling in Hounslow.
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2004, 05:39:18 pm »

Americans! Using a French chassis?! There'll be a diplomatic incident surely. What are they going to do, put it on the back of a flat bed transporter and fire it at the Palestinians?
H
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 05:52:07 pm by BigH » Logged

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2004, 11:29:57 am »

The first year of the C5R Corvettes I sat high up in an empty stand on Thursday night and recall the noise echoing and reflecting within the stand.

The 911 GT3s can be painful on the ears when they change gear.  Particularly, standing on the infield just past the Esses on the run down to Tetre Rouge - ouch  Undecided

Steve East Anglian cobras

Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2004, 09:25:39 pm »

Used ti live under Concorde flight path ( Slough ) and that made the fireplace vibrate !!

But the car thats made me want to go home was the Lister Storm , 1000kms, november 2003, stoof at the top of the main grandstand.

OUCH, and a 3 hour headache

Take life by the horns and live it.
Fax
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2004, 02:07:18 pm »

By all accounts the 3 liter Matra's of the early seventies are the loudest machines to have ever graced the Sarthe, people still talk about fillings being rattled loose.  As for recent years, at Daytona you can stand right down next to the wall and I reckon the cars that hurt my ears the worst were the Porsche 911 GT3's.
John
Gilles
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2004, 02:22:11 pm »

Early Panoz wern't too discrete too

Le Mans is life, anything before and after is just waiting...

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2004, 03:33:20 pm »

the Porsche's

Opening laps of this years LMES at Silvertstone, about 10 Porsche's nose to tail on the start finish straight for about 5 laps. It wasn't so much the volume, but it was the constant pitch, you could almost feel your eardrums denting.
Bobblehat
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

A racing we do go....

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2004, 10:18:09 am »

Good call Barry, the 10 Porkers at Silverstone hurt a lot at the start, I could still feal them on Sunday and Monday.

My favorate sound at LM was the LM Marcos. You could be sitting in your seat and just follow the car round the track by sound alone. Plus it made the ground shake.....

Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2004, 09:58:56 pm »

For me it's the Aston Martin of 89. Watching it on the pit straight in front of the grandstands the noise was loud but the vibration given out made me feel hungry. Strange.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2004, 08:27:08 pm »

Yup, me too. The beautiful, beautiful noise of that Aston Martin AMR1 on a trailing throttle and down-shift 'blipping', on the short-chute between the esses and Tetre Rouge was awesome.
The Saubers that won that same race were equally musical, aside from the 62 car that ran the last two hours of the race jammed in 5th gear. Even so, the torque produced, allowed that motor to pick itself up from about 600rpm at Virage Ford, to around 4000rpm by the time it rounded the Dunlop curve - very impressive.
Most annoying? That bloody Audi in 2000 that backfired at each shift point - it sounded like a gunshot every time it up-shifted. Pissed me off no end, it did.......  

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Fax
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2004, 02:20:23 pm »

Matt,
Would agree about the 2000 Audi's.  That backfire became annoying as hell.  First noticed it at Sebring that year and hoped that it was just something to do with the engine mapping for that race but it was there at Le Mans as well.
The most annoying exhaust note of all?  Current F1 cars!  That shrill, high pitched whine gets old real fast, especially when you throw in the pop & fart of traction control.  The IRL cars have a fairly annoying note as well, just sound rattley and cheap.
John
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2004, 03:35:57 pm »

Sorry, bit off topic (what's new)

The Who, Charlton Athletic Football Ground, May 1976 - 120 dB at 50 meters from the stage  Grin

Play it Loud  Grin

Steve East Anglian cobras

Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2004, 04:27:54 pm »

Sorry, bit off topic (what's new)

The Who, Charlton Athletic Football Ground, May 1976 - 120 dB at 50 meters from the stage  Grin

Play it Loud  Grin

You won't get fooled again!

Two of our twits are Chartlon supporters and insist on singing, to the tune of Mull of Kintyre,  the following when drunk. It becomes most wearisome.

Valley Floyd Road,
Oh mist rolling in from the Thames,
My desire is always to be near,
Oh Valley Floyd road.

Far have I travelled
And much have I seen...
Blah blah blah...

Absolute crap!

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2004, 04:38:48 pm »

Yup, me too. The beautiful, beautiful noise of that Aston Martin AMR1 on a trailing throttle and down-shift 'blipping', on the short-chute between the esses and Tetre Rouge was awesome.
The Saubers that won that same race were equally musical, aside from the 62 car that ran the last two hours of the race jammed in 5th gear. Even so, the torque produced, allowed that motor to pick itself up from about 600rpm at Virage Ford, to around 4000rpm by the time it rounded the Dunlop curve - very impressive.
Most annoying? That bloody Audi in 2000 that backfired at each shift point - it sounded like a gunshot every time it up-shifted. Pissed me off no end, it did.......  

1989 was the one and only year (and never again!) I took a bird to LM. She reckonned the Aston's noise got her all "hot" (for want of another phrase). I think she had a thing about Brian Redman too.

Anyhow, I loved them, they weren't quite on the pace of the Jags and Mercs but were just glorious cars. There was one for sale in Duncan Hamilton's shop window in Bagshot about a year later. It's a shame the program was killed off by internal Ford politics.

I remember the Merc stuck in 5th too. Wasn't it the Schumacher car?

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Fax
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2004, 07:06:43 pm »

That 1989 Aston is a lovely car.  There's one floating around over here and shows up pretty regularly at historic Group C/IMSA GTP meetings.  I've never seen it really given any stick though, probably couldn't afford to repair if shunted or blown.  The only ones you ever see really thrashed are the 962's.  There's enough parts still lying around for those to run them hard.  The Merc that was stuck in gear was the Mauro Baldi car but I can't remember off hand who he was sharing the car with, I don't think it was Schumacher though.
Fax
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: