Club Arnage
April 26, 2024, 10:53:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'till my ears bleed!  (Read 30108 times)
vwgtifan
CA Veteran

Sweet home, Chicago

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2004, 06:32:40 am »

What was the loudest Le Mans car to ever grace the circuit? Many say it was the '91 winning 787B, but Racing For Holland was painful if you were up close when flat out this year. Any other guesses??

Life is too short for dull cars, cheap beer, and ugly women.
rcutler
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 11:42:47 am »

The 1998 Panoz GTR1 was I think much noisier than the one that was run last year!
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 12:41:47 pm »

That Mazda by far. People prayed for it to retire, so they could get some sleep.
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 01:17:30 pm »

When Panoz first ran in 97 they where the loudest cars on the grid by a fair few decibels, even louder than Mr Blobby who was helping to run the team.

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 01:46:12 pm »

A few years ago I went along to end of the runway at Heathrow, next to the perimeter fencing, and waited for Concorde to take off. It was quite a sight, seeing it approach head on along the centre line and lift it's nose. As it went overhead, I'm sure I could see the boogers up the captains nose. The noise was something else. It wasn't just in my ears, it was everywhere, I could feel most of my internal organs resonating, and a few reflex muscles were threatening to relax, in an old age pensioner fashion. The vibrating organ experience was quite interesting, but unfortunately not selective, even after a few more visits I was unable to 'train them up'. I still think there was potential there. Maybe if I had stood on a sonically reflective surface. A parabolic one would have been perfect, but what could I have put at the focal point?
I've never had the same aural experience at LM, although the Mazda did have a similar 'stinging inner ear' effect. The Panoz threatened to get the diaphragm going, but never quite made it. Over the last couple of years I reckon some of the 911 GT3's have been the cars that mde me jump most. There was a little bit of bleeding if I remember rightly, but as it wasn't my ears, I think I better leave it there...
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 01:58:12 pm »

1990, two in the morning, pit straight, brace of 787's neck and neck flat out, knitting needle in through one ear and out the other. Exquisite agony, it made the back of my throat itchy for hours after...

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 02:34:35 pm »

If we're talking quality rather than quantity, and to be honest, I struggle with both...
I've always liked the Panoz, it's just so macho, I reckon the cam covers must grow a stubble between pit-stops and need shaving. It probably tries to shag the Debboras on Friday night.
The 333SP's were fabulous. The Mazdas sounded great and sounded like they could rev like that all day, the Ferrari's however had that added excitement of sounding like they might explode spectacularly at any moment. The Astons in 88 (?) sounded fantastic flat out too. That 'Olive Garden' sponsored car made a nice racket, whatever it was.
Bottom of the list: the bloody Audis and that Taurus, not forgetting the joke Mig.
H
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 02:35:31 pm by BigH » Logged

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
TonyT
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 02:41:08 pm »

The Corvette's over recent years have made a great noise.
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 02:49:16 pm »

My money's on the evil rotary Mazdas too. Didn't see them at La Sarthe unfortunately but did in a 1000Km Group C race at Brands in '89.

Full chat up paddock hill and positioned about 10 feet away - enough already!!!

Fantastic.

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2004, 03:57:03 pm »

I agree with you on the 333SPs H.
Dawn Sunday, Pit Straight, Screaming V12 echoing off the tribunes.  SWWEEEETT.  

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2004, 04:24:03 pm »

I think these little buggers where the worst, Not as quick as a 787 so the sound lasted longer.
http://rupert8766.fotopic.net/p2763796.html

The BMW straight 6's in the M1 where pretty noisy as well

The best, has to be either this
http://rupert8766.fotopic.net/p2764450.html
or the TWR Jag V12's

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2004, 04:38:19 pm »

The Astons in 88 (?) sounded fantastic flat out too. That 'Olive Garden' sponsored car made a nice racket, whatever it was.
Bottom of the list: the bloody Audis and that Taurus, not forgetting the joke Mig.
H

89 for the Astons I think H. Yeah, they had a nice barritone, not dissimilar to the Panoz.

The Olive Garden car? Was that the Mafia entered car in which all the drivers disappeared halfway through the race?

Crap sounding cars? Well the Venturi's and pathetic 2 litre Peugeot/Renault? Spider thingies of the early 90s pretty much took the Coconut Creams for me. Still, at least they ensured there was still a grid in the dark years and for that I suppose we ought to be thankful.

Nordic, much as I worshipped them, I never thought the Jags sounded quite as good as they oughtto. Not loud enough unless you were standing right by when they fired up. The Sauber Merc was much better. Taxi!!!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 04:39:24 pm by A Zarse esq » Logged

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
vwgtifan
CA Veteran

Sweet home, Chicago

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2004, 05:00:10 pm »

I'll admit that I never heard the 333SP for myself. And I was still sleeping off many beers when the old group C's rolled around Saturday Morning. However, being the Yank that I am, the Corvette and Panoz V-8's make absolute music when they go by. Left no question as to what they were. To bad Panoz is leaving their LMP's for the Esperante. Cry

Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2004, 05:05:13 pm »

I think you may find Panoz will still be around next year, but running a French Courage Chassis with a V8 in the back.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
vwgtifan
CA Veteran

Sweet home, Chicago

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2004, 05:14:28 pm »

Wow.....you mean that they finally figured that the last entry to win with a front engine configuration was in the early 60's with Ferrari? The odds were against them from the start. Gotta' admit, they gave a great effort, even winning a few ALMS races with Jan M. behind the wheel.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: