Club Arnage
April 29, 2024, 03:32:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sebring 12 Hours  (Read 68311 times)
Papa Eric
CA Veteran

Team Eric

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2005, 06:06:51 pm »

Thinking of going to Sebring this March for first time.  Does anyone have any recommendations, clues, etc. for a newbie?

Like is it any easier to drive in and park on the day than the LM road chaos so can we expect to drive down on the day and get in for example?  Any good places to view? 

Any helpful suggestions appreciated.
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 10:59:30 pm »

I asked a few questions some months back - see http://www.clubarnage.com/forum/index.php?topic=4037.0

Good point on getting there.  I'm assuming we stay in a hotel within an hours drive of the circuit, and sleep in the car, so we can all have a drink.  Or hire a RV, but can we park on circuit all week, do we need a pass  etc.  Harley hire for the day would be good too.

I should know by the end of the week if its on.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2005, 11:38:18 pm by Lorry » Logged

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
amazing 1
Uncle Pervy Welshman
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Male Underwear Super Model Two BEERS Please

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 12:12:07 am »

I would have to say it would all depend on what level of comfort you are looking for and how long you plan staying in the area.
 Orlando is probably your best bet as far as airports.There are restrooms with hot showers so an rv is not a nesessaty.Keep in mind it gets very hot and can rain like a bitch at a moments notice.In that case a rv is very cool.

TURN 10 "YOUR SPOT IN THE SUN"

GO SHANE GO!!!

GO TEAM IMPALA GO !!!
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 03:21:38 am »

Thinking of going to Sebring this March for first time.  Does anyone have any recommendations, clues, etc. for a newbie?

Like is it any easier to drive in and park on the day than the LM road chaos so can we expect to drive down on the day and get in for example?  Any good places to view? 

Any helpful suggestions appreciated.
I have been the last four years, Amazing Randy even longer, so ask away.

Getting in on the day is fairly easy. However, approaching race time, you may have a long wait if you want to go in the main gate and park inside. There is an alternative, tell them you need to collect your tickets from Will Call and drive down the outer lane and park up in the parking area there for free and then walk in. Its only about a 5 minute walk over where, yoiu would park if you had payed to go in.

Good places to view. Pretty much anywhere. Also don't be affraid to ask the people with large platforms if they wouldn't  mind if you went up to view for a while. Most are friendly and won't mind if you ask nicely.

Like Randy says, It can be bitch hot and also rain like theres no tomorrow, so be prepared for anything ! I have roasted several times and nearly been blown and washed away one year b a two hour hurricane.

Have fun
Fax
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 03:49:46 pm »

PE,
I'm an eight year veteran of the Florida classic, most of what you need in the way of info can be found with these guys, Dave & Matt Harper, Chris, Canada Phil Randy, Smokie, etc.  All well versed Sebring vets.  Orlando or Tampa are probably best bets for airports and civilized hotels, if you want to stay close to the circut book now or you'll be camped in a orange grove.  Best to just to stay at the circut for the weekend and take in the practice, qualifying and support race action.  Getting in on race morning can be challenging if you leave it too late.  Best to be in residence by 7-8 A.M. or so, if you leave it much later you could be missing the start sitting in traffic.  We drive down from Orlando and hit the bricks quite early.  Parking in the circut on race morning can be a free-for-all, you sometimes have to be quite creative, fortunately the CA guys usually save us a spot at their campsite.  Bring sunglasses and sunscreen or you'll end up blinded and sunburned within an inch of your life, also you'll want sunglasses if the wind kicks up, the sand can really get blown around. Usually hot as f**ck!
Fax
« Last Edit: December 27, 2005, 03:52:12 pm by Fax » Logged
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 05:15:37 am »

HI PE,
         Like LM camping at the track is the best way to experience it. RV's can be rented in Orlando or right at the track depending on your budget and desired comfort. Tenting is cheaper as you only need a $10 camping permit for car and tent for the event. gates open Wednesday morning and campsites fill by Friday lunch time. I recommend arriving wed or Thursday in time for night practice. Unlike Le Mans a Full card of racing and practices.
All over bar the drinking Saturday night.
Lorry, You mention Harley Rental.
NOt for Sebring they will not allow you in on a bike.
The week before is Bike week in Daytona where a Harley would be the vehicle of choice. along with black T shirts. Orlando would be a good place to pick up a rental Harley.
Florida is not a great place for Bike Riding in my opinon many other states have much superior bike roads.
Canada Phil 
Fax
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 03:59:48 pm »

Haven't quite figured out the not letting bikes in bit.  Must be a Florida thing because at the Rolex 24 Hours a few years ago one of our group brought along a perfectly street legal Kawasaki KE 100 and damn near got hauled off to the pokie by Budford T. Justice.  Seems except for bike week they don't allow bikes at Daytona either.  Most other US venues (including IMS) allow bikes in, Mid-Ohio encourages bringing bikes, they take up less space!
Fax
johnevans3
CA Veteran

Howdy Pardner

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005, 04:28:43 pm »

...and don't forget the information found at www.sebringsfans.com   
There is a good bit of information there and just ask on the forums anything else that comes to mind.   ...and don't forget the beads.   You can also call or write to receive information from the Seb. In't Raceway folks.

Sebring International Raceway
113 Midway Drive
Sebring, FL  33870
www.sebringraceway.com

There, that should do it!!
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2005, 05:07:50 pm »

Just wasted a lot of time trying to book my flight with BA for March - long story, but it still isn't booked...

Would definitely recommend camping at the track, ideally arriving on the Wednesday (more space, and there's plenty going on all tthe time). Buying tents and equipment as disposables isn't too scary as the exchange rate is still OK, and they are cheap enough in Walmart. Or do what JPC, AndyZ etc did last year and buy a huge cooler to pack it all in and bring it all back with you...

Orlando has to be the closest airport but I've never used it. BA direct flights are about the same to Orlando, Miami and Tampa. I could maybe save a few bob (but not much at all) if I 1) left it till the last minute and/or 2) I took an indirect flight but neither of these are appealing to me.

Beware that the car rental companies sometimes levy a surcharge when renting from Miami (not huge, but if every penny counts...) - doesn't apply in Tampa (which seems to be heavily booked already for my dates) or Orlando.

And to answer one of your questions, there are hardly any bad places to view. A wonderful track for actually getting up close...

« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 05:09:29 pm by smokie » Logged
Fax
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2005, 05:36:32 pm »

Yes the spectating is superb, being a old bomber base its flat as a billiard table (as is the rest of Florida) but over the years they've built up spectator mounds and there's very little in the way of debris fencing.  There are many places on the circut where the spectators are right on top of the action, Randy's location out at turn 10 being probably the closest, the hairpin being a great location for catching overtaking plus there's a large video screen and scoring moniter there as well.
If you want to splurge, a pit balcony pass is avilable for the weekend for $200 and is well worth it if you want catch the pit action, the balcony being directly over the pits, the end of last years race was particularly memorable with the CA gang, Mark, Andy, Steve, Rick, Smokie, Phil, Matt & Dave and myself all above the Aston pits.  Paddock admission is free to the public all weekend including during the race.
Fax
gab
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2005, 06:50:53 am »

And to answer one of your questions, there are hardly any bad places to view. A wonderful track for actually getting up close...

Smokie,

I think Papa Eric meant good places to view the car racing and not boob flashing  Cheesy,  most of us at CA know that you have practically zero experience as motor racing spectator  Grin
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2005, 07:52:00 pm »

Hi a few questions for the Oracles of Sebring.

I have found Virgin flights for the 14th returning on the 19th for £303 is this likely to be the best dates and cost. Gatwick is best for me as I have to travel from Guernsey first.

Are the deals for cars best left to when arriving in Orlando.

Is there food and drink (Coffee and Beer) on site as I see they do not like BBQ fires etc.

Where are the camping areas and what is the cost (which area are CA'ers normally in)

Is it likely to pour down or if not how hot (not as hot as LM this year I hope)

Is there night entertainment.

Finally, will my wife let me go as I have already booked LM24 & Classic.

Thanks for any answers.

Martini...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 11:09:42 am by Martini » Logged

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
Fax
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2005, 08:42:12 pm »

Hi Martini,
Not sure about the car rental issue, some of your countrymen who come over are probably well suited for that one.  Plenty of food & drink available at the circut and nearby, ice readily available (unlike LM).  As far as camping goes, the Green Park is a popular, party destination, the Turn 10 gang is out there.  The CA guys usually camp along the pit straight midway near the showers.
Regarding the weather?  Its spring in Florida...Could rain from time to time, the showers tend to be brief but hard.
I've been going for eight years and never been rained on race day but the guys have been soaked earlier in the week a couple of times.  When it gets hot, it gets quite hot, mid-upper eighties kind of temps, sometimes muggy (this is where the rain bit comes in) and usually very bright sunshine, so protect the flesh.
Fax
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2005, 09:29:00 pm »

Maybe 2007.

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2005, 11:40:58 pm »

Maybe 2007.

Sorry to hear that Lorry. A couple of G&T's with a couple of glasses of wine over dinner with a friendly hug and I think I am sorted...mind you she did not know where Sebring was until my daughter told her...she said she was confused because I had mentioned LM and Petit LM. I also told her there was a whole load from LM going along and it was an invitation! Well I did have my fingers crossed at the time and white lies do not count...But thinking about it that is not too far from the truth except I do not know anyone else, unless Nordic is going.

Martin...

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: