Club Arnage
April 28, 2024, 04:17:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USA Trip July 2006  (Read 26879 times)
Fax
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2006, 05:53:08 am »

Interesting tread here.  If your coming to the US and want to really see the US, New York is like going to London or Paris and thinking that's what England or France is like, just not it.  As IRW said, NY is full of energy but not a lot of normal Americans.  Same for California, the coast is hell of a lot different than 99% of the rest of Cal, go to dumps like Fresno or Bakersfield if you want to see what most of California is really like.
If you really want to go to a huge metropolitan city with all the sh**ts & giggles but get a real feel for the US, go to Chicago, my favorite city in the world by far.  Failing that St. Louis, Indy, Phoenix, Austin, are better bets than the usual tourist traps.  DC is one third government, one third tourist trap and one third crack alley gun & knife club. Philly & Baltimore are sh**tholes of biblical proportions.
Fax
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 04:26:27 pm by Fax » Logged
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2006, 07:02:39 am »

Hi Robbo,
               For Washington i recommend hotel/motel in Arlington. across the river and just a short subway ride to the tourist parts. Nice and quiet being next to the cemetery Grin
Georgetown for the restuarants and night life.
Annapolis is close by and one of my favourites but then I am a sailor (not new Grin)
Can not comment on California beyond envy for hwy 1 on a bike which is on my wish list too.
Chicago is indeed a great american city.
Vancouver ofcourse leads to Whistler which is still worth visiting even though it is a winter resort. The ferry ride out to Vancouver island is very picturesque.
Champ Car (CART) are in Toronto 9 July if you want to come and see that along with lots to see and do here too.
F1 at Indianapolis 2 July, just buy a ticket at the gate for face value (or less)
NASCAR Nextel Cup Chicago 9 July
Tourist Just another Damn Tourist.
Canada Phil
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2006, 12:22:37 pm »

Rough plans still being hatched.

Plane arrives 8th July 1215 at JFK, then going to so a slow mooch upto Toronto, niagra to watch water fall, then Chicago and the great lakes.

4 days in Rocky Mountains, then off to stay at the chefs in-laws in vancover ( he's a ferry pilot to the island ) then bike, and after careful advise, i am going to ditch Philly, and add an extra day or 2 in mexico, just to stay in a coastal fishing village and drink local beers.....

The only FIRM plans i want to make are Moto GP - DONE, and the final flights from Vegas to DC. The rest i really feel like winging it. Car hire seems cheap, food too and the places i've booked into are good cost to.

Just waiting for a reply from the International Police Federation, they maybe able to offer more help and advise ( and good rates )

I may try and see if i can have a look round an american Police station.. ( bus mans holiday ) but should be good.

---------

I have now been told that i DONT need anything more than my UK driving license and passport for vehcile rentals ??

I was going to get a International Driving Permit ?

Take life by the horns and live it.
SmithA
CA Veteran

smithytours.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2006, 12:41:41 pm »

Been to vegas a few times, going back on the 28th march  Grin, i got married at the red rock canyon just outside of vegas (no Elvis was not there !!!)

you can get some really cheap hotels but i would advise you to get a hotel in the main part of the strip, she that must be and i are staying at the imperial palace this time round as it was cheap $800 for the week but it is within easy walking distance of all the major hotels.

there are loads of cheap buffets where you can eat all you want for about $10, the drinks are free when gambling but depending on the machines you are playing (the amount you pay for a go) will dictate how long it takes to get a drink and how often they come round again.

if you want anymore info just shout

Andy

LM 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07 - LMS Silverstone 05 - Donington 06 - Jarama 06 - Monza 07 - Valencia 07 - Silverstone 07
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2006, 08:10:30 pm »

I have now been told that i DONT need anything more than my UK driving license and passport for vehcile rentals ??

I was going to get a International Driving Permit ?
We rented a big Ford van last year and all i took was my UK licence, passport, you do need a credit card rather than a debit card though.
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2006, 05:54:13 am »

Hi Robbo,
               For Toronto it may be cheaper to fly into Buffalo New York and drive across the border at Niagara Falls. Let me know your dates closer to the time and I can arrange a visit to a Toronto Police station. UK drivers licence is indeed all you need to rent a car. We can read English over here Roll Eyes and a Credit card ofcourse.
Canada Phil
Robspot
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2006, 09:30:01 am »

Hi Robbo,
               For Toronto it may be cheaper to fly into Buffalo New York and drive across the border at Niagara Falls. Let me know your dates closer to the time and I can arrange a visit to a Toronto Police station. UK drivers licence is indeed all you need to rent a car. We can read English over here Roll Eyes and a Credit card ofcourse.
Canada Phil

If he drives into Canada himself he'll probably get a visit to a Toronto Police station anyway. Seems to "invite" trouble in a car  Roll Eyes

I always stay too long. Long enough for something to go wrong
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2006, 10:58:31 am »

If you really want to go to a huge metropolitan city with all the sh**ts & giggles but get a real feel for the US, go to Chicago, my favorite city in the world by far. 

A fantastic city, I can recommend the Gospel Sunday Brunch at "The House Of Blues" All you can eat buffet and  gospel choir with a fire and brimstone preaching singer all for $8 (price 4 years ago) great value, great atmosphere. And of coures being in the States the buffet is enormous. 
What other city could you go to and sit in the bars listening to live bands playing the blues as in house entertainment.

When you get to Vancouver Robbo you gotta ride the Sea to Sky highway between Vancouver and Whistler, it has to be one of the most picturesque drives in the world.
Mind you when I was ther last year they were "improving" the road ready for the 2010 olympics so it may well have spoilt the views.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 11:38:47 am by BOB U » Logged

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Fax
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2006, 01:48:55 pm »

I've spent a lot of time in Chi-town over the years.  Have close friends who live out in the Lincoln Park area near DePaul University.  El Jardin out by Wrigley Field on Clark Street, best Tex-Mex you'll find anywhere.  Same for steaks at Charmichaels near the United Center. Robbo, by all means, if the the Cubbies are in town when your there, take in a game at lovely Wrigley Field.  We make a trip up every year when the Reds and Cubs have a weekend series at "The Friendly Confines".  Late night drunk grub?  Lou Mitchells.
Fax
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 02:28:29 pm by Fax » Logged
Jason
CA Veteran

Has anyone booked my hospital room?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2006, 02:50:35 pm »

Hmmm Chicago, Love the town, off there in 6 weeks.

There is a great bar & grill in Millenium Park, usually showing ESPN all day (I spent best part of a week there 2 summers ago) Goose is a decent local beer.

Ed's does a decent brunch (on Jackson I believe - will check tonight)

Wooosh!!!!
bradblohm

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2006, 03:13:58 pm »

Hello,

Keep in mind that the 40th anniversary of Can-Am is
July 13-16 at Road America.  Look at:

http://www.roadamerica.com/2006/races_bric.htm

I read that they are expecting 70 cars, and that Jim
Hall and the Chaparrals will be there.  I went last
year on Thursday and Friday (so I missed the major
pile-up) and it was awesome.  I was standing near the
start/finish line and heard a thunder in the distance.
Over the rise came an orance McLaren M8B with a red
Lola T70 coupe up it's rear.  The ground was shaking!
I've been to LeMans when a couple of Panoz were
near a couple of Corvettes, and it's great, but when
vintage 7-8 liter equipment goes by...  WOW!

Hope you enjoy your trip,

Brad
Abs
CA Veteran

Boys at TVR do it again!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2006, 03:22:07 pm »

Robbo,

A few years ago I had to attend a divisional meeting in Dallas, one of the girls from the UK also brought her boyfriend along, he was at the time working within Hants Constabulary and contacted the Dallas Police they organised for him to spend a morning out with them on patrol and see how things are done over there...

Don't know if this is the sort of thing you are looking to do as a busmans holiday, but thought it might help.

Anyway have a great time.

Abs

Any married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
remembering the same thing
Fax
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2006, 03:32:09 pm »

Robbo,
Since your a biker you might enjoy the AMA Vintage Bike weekend at Mid-Ohio July 28-30.  Largest vintage & historic bike meeting of the year in North America every year.  This year Giacomo Agostini is the honored guest.  This meeting caused a bit of headache with the Road America Can-Am guys several years ago when the Can-Am reunion and the Vintage Bike days were the same weekend.  John Surtees was supposed to be at Mid-Ohio on Saturday and then fly up to Elkhart Lake on Sunday (he was the inaugural Can-Am Champion) but was having so much fun at Mid-Ohio he decided to stay there for Sunday as well, needless to say this didn't go down well with the Road America organizers.
Fax
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 03:37:15 pm by Fax » Logged
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2006, 04:21:31 pm »

Robbo, you are gonna need a whole lot longer than 5 weeks away if you take up all the reccomendations your getting. You'll need another to get over it.

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2006, 09:02:39 pm »

Robbo, you are gonna need a whole lot longer than 5 weeks away if you take up all the reccomendations your getting. You'll need another to get over it.

On  my return on 10th Aug, i get coach to GAtwick from Heathrow and go back with mates to Rome on stag do ( does that count as a recouperation ? )

Thanks everyone else for the ideas, i'm open for everything and keep them coming

Fax - I am trying to research college football to see if i cabn catrch a game and i'd love to see some ball, where ever it maybe.

I maybe wrong, but the NHL will be done until October, NHL isnt my thing, World Series is on from Huh and the indoor basket ball ?? ( but tickets like rocking horse poo poo i think )

Take life by the horns and live it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: