Club Arnage
April 28, 2024, 01:32:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USA Trip July 2006  (Read 26881 times)
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« on: February 17, 2006, 12:15:40 am »

I have just booked a trip to the USA for 5 weeks in July / August.

My US Moto GP tickets are booked for the Sunday and my Harley Road King is reserved for a week from San Francisco to San Diego via Highway 1.

A huge thanks to MAtt HArper and John Evans for your advise, South West flights are working out cheaper than an Amtrack Season Ticket.

Hurrah.

All i need now is to work out how long i'll be in each part of the world.

Oh and Virgin were the cheapest carrier to the USA.

Now - Accomodation......

Take life by the horns and live it.
Robspot
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 09:15:18 am »

Exactly how many weeks holiday do you get when you should be protecting us from "evil terrorists"?

I always stay too long. Long enough for something to go wrong
chop456
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Team YFDS

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 09:35:16 am »

You're probably already aware of this, but the ALMS is racing at the brand spanking new Miller Motorsports Park in Utah the weekend of July 15th. 

Nice scenery for a ride between San Francisco and Salt Lake City, too. 

I stole DelBoy's lighter and lived to tell the tale.
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 10:12:42 am »

Exactly how many weeks holiday do you get when you should be protecting us from "evil terrorists"?

Don't panic Robspot, we'll all have compulsory ID cards soon and that's going to stop all terrorism  Roll Eyes Undecided
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 11:32:33 am »

I have just booked a trip to the USA for 5 weeks in July / August.

5 weeks? is it gonna take you that long to get over Le Mans Robbo?  Shocked

5 weeks in the summer is a bloody nice break I only get 20 days for a whole year, but there again I don't have to put up with the sh*t that you guys in the emergency services have to. What is it then, touch down at Heathrow then straight up to Donington for the LMES? Grin

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 11:52:13 am »

Its worth checking out www.broadwaytravel.com for self catering accomadation.
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 12:58:59 pm »

3 weeks of the time off i have to "re-work" before i go....

which means lots of work, and not much time off now.

As for protecting people...................

IAn - cheers for the link

And Bob. I get back on 10th Aug, then turning round at HEathrow and off to Rome for a wedding  Grin

Now all i need is a few more hundred quid.....

Fax
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 03:20:04 pm »

Robbo,
Have a great time over here, the USGP at Laguna should be quite a show.  Remember to pack a tool kit for the Harley.  Your girlfriend will love it though, they vibrate like a bastard. Wink
Fax
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 05:39:09 pm »

Robbo,
Have a great time over here, the USGP at Laguna should be quite a show.  Remember to pack a tool kit for the Harley.  Your girlfriend will love it though, they vibrate like a bastard. Wink
Fax

I'm flying solo for the trip ( split up a while back ) but if it  breaks they can come fix the sucker

Fax
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 06:35:59 pm »

Ooops sorry Robo, hope I didn't touch on a sore subject.  I'm just having some fun with you regarding the Harley, their reliability has actually gotten a lot better in recent years.  They are big, heavy and as I said, vibrate like a SOB though.  The reliability jokes about Harley's mostly come from people who owned or own a mid seventies through mid ninties model.  My neighbor has a early ninties Softail that spends more time in pieces in the garage than it does on the road.
Fax
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 06:43:45 pm by Fax » Logged
Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 08:50:55 pm »

Sounds like a fantastic trip Robbo  Grin
johnevans3
CA Veteran

Howdy Pardner

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006, 10:45:26 pm »

San Fran to San Diego is a long way but there is some really neat stuff to see along the way.  Take a quick trip north to Muir Woods then back down to Big Sir and Monterey, don't for Hearst Castle, down the coast to Venice Beach, L.A. and Newport, then on down to San Diego.  What a nice trip.  That's a long week just by itself and somebody from California could fill you in on more stuff to see than just what I listed.
I'm glad you checked out SW Airlines that should save you a lot of time rather than going by train. 
Where else are you planning to go while over here?Huh
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2006, 02:04:36 am »

I'm flying solo for the trip ( split up a while back )
  damn - how did it let that one slip under my radar!  Wink
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2006, 02:21:07 am »

Apaprt from riding under redwood trees, staying in montery for 2 nights, for the Moto Gp, i am going to "wing " it.

As for keeping it quiet.....

Nothing of the sort.

Just finished sorting the last details out. Denver for 3 days of climbing ( maybe some snow boarding... )

3 days in Vegas getting skint...

5 days of tourist rubbish in NY and DC

oh and 4 days in and around vancover..

Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2006, 10:46:44 pm »

"5 days of tourist rubbish in NY and DC”!
NY is great, so full of energy and buzz, I can recommend the Edison Hotel on 47th St, its only 50 yards from Times Square (out of the hotel turn right) and about $70 a night, Scruffy Duffeys Irish bar on 8th (turn left out of the Hotel), great chicken wings and Guinness (http://www.murphguide.com/irish.htm#14-59).
Its worth doing the open top bus tour (with commentary), downtown to China town and Ground zero and uptown to Central Park, night time tour, Statue of Liberty and the Empire state see (http://www.allnewyorktours.com/Body.asp?tour=NYC-B0002&page=TourDetails) advance ticket was about $67, well worth it. The 15 min Helicopter ride was great, but a bit steep at $115, it takes you around the Statue of Liberty, but is mostly along the Hudson and then up to the Yankees stadium and over Harlem.
I guarantee you’ll want to go back!
Washington is a lot quieter, but interesting, be careful of where you stay – I went on business and then stayed on for a couple of days so had pay my own accommodation – booked into a $67 Ramarda on New York Boulevard – even the Taxi driver said “How the F**k did you get out here (about 2 miles from the centre), This is a bad area,  don’t go out walking, don’t wait out side for your Taxi! I think all the other rooms were rented by the hour!
The Smithsonian museums are good, the National Art museum is worth going just to see Da Vinci’s Ginevra de' Benci and the East Wing for the Piccaso’s (awesome in real life). The White House is very small, the Senate building very big!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: