Club Arnage
April 29, 2024, 04:44:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: American Sarthe Trekers  (Read 31582 times)
Jonnyspa27

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2006, 03:15:36 am »

I was trying to get a concensus from the US contingent going to Le Mans what the best route to take from Paris is? Is the 'Via Michelin' site the best route to take or have you found quicker more alternate routes are better? I'm looking to be there on thursday so I hope there is still ample space at Bleu Nord in the campground. Lets talk!  Smiley

Le Mans '07 goals:
1)Just to get there!
2)To have a beer w/ Johnny Herbert
3)Keep drinking for Holland!
knetter
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Burn mother...... burn!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 05:07:02 pm »

The Michelin site is a good one. Are you travelling by rental car? If so, try to avoid rush hour on the perriferic ( goes all around paris). It is always very busy but round rush hour it's completely congested. The TGV train might be an alternative. It is a good 2 hour drive from Paris to the circuit. I think Mapquest also gives some good directions.

Space at bleu nord will probably not be an issue, if you need tickets still, talk to me, we have spares! As for your 2006 goals: number one, no problem, that's a given, number two, no drinking while racing for Johnny and number 3, if you get it, please post it here!!

Enjoy

I have given up on being on facebook and myspace, I kept mixing them up and invited people to come on Myface!
Jonnyspa27

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 01:23:41 am »

knetter,
First of all I can't tell you how much that McQueen...well billboard LOL....Absolutely ROCKS! I was going to say 'poster' but it wouldn't do it justice. Yeah me and a buddy are going to driving down in a rental. The thought was to hit Reims then go over to Rouen  to see what is left of the circuits there. Then down to Le Mans for thursday afternoon. Upon reading the other posts I may have to re-evaluate the logistics of that..hmm I do have confirmed tics through the ACO for bleu nord so that should be a non-issue. But if it does become one I will definitely keep that in mind! While checking out your site I started to get the impression that there will be HELLA, banners and printed murals everywhere. Since I am an artist I may have to offer up my airbrushing skills to the friendly populace of this forum and see if anyone wants a custom airbrushed banner. I'll post a link to the one I did of Montoya for the '01 USGP @ Indy http://www.montoya-gallery.com/Pics/paintings/JuanBack_gr.jpg
Keep in mind that wasn't long after Zanardi had his huge shunt at the Lausitzring, hence the well wishes at the bottom.

I didn't think my goals for '06 would be too laughty, as you said 1) is a given, 2) may be possible earlier in the week 3) if that happens, to quote Matt Bishop of F1 Racing 'ah that'd be tellin'' Wink

Le Mans '07 goals:
1)Just to get there!
Fax
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 02:06:43 pm »

Quick word of advice, you'll be wasting your time going to Rouen les Essarts looking for the old circut.
Nothing exist anymore....NOTHING!  They've even paved over the cobblestones at the hairpin.
You don't actually read F1 Racing do you?(LOL)
Jonnyspa27

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 02:46:04 pm »

Fax,
I'm aware of the status of Rouen, there aren't any pits now and the old Chicane  is still at Six Freres but the rest of the place is normal looking now unfortunately. I wish they'd have taken a page out of Reims book and tried to restore, what can ya do? Was that in the most recent issue of F1 or something? I do remember them doing a photo shoot at Reims a year or so back. If anything it would be a nice stopover on the way up to Normandy to pay my respects....

Le Mans '07 goals:
1)Just to get there!
Fax
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 03:03:12 pm »

Sorry, don't read F1, would be embarrassed to be seen reading it, think its bunch of tabloid crap for teenagers. (some people I know who work in the sport think likewise)  Anything that Peter Windsor writes for has zilch in the way of credibilty.
Have a good friend who vacationed in France last summer, he stopped by Rouen and relayed the grim news.
Fax
Jonnyspa27

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 03:09:00 pm »

Yeah I saw it on the racingcircuits.net site, wish I could have went in the early 90's it still had the pits and grandstands too. The pics had a feeling that greatness once echoed through the trees there, unfortunately its gone...F1 is the only mag I'm really able to get around here what do you read? Autosport?

Le Mans '07 goals:
1)Just to get there!
Fax
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 03:20:13 pm »

As far I'm concerned Autosport falls into the same category.  I read Motor Sport and Motorcycle Racer.
The rest I pull off the web.  I subscribed to Autosport from 1973 till 1997.  Couldn't stomach what it had become and dropped it.  Read a copy from 70's or 80's and compare to the fluff BS of todays incarnation.  There is no comparison.
Used to read Autosport sitting around the student lounge in college back in the early eighties, and as I said, would be embarrassed to be seen reading it now.
Fax
knetter
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Burn mother...... burn!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 12:25:35 pm »

Johnny,

The picture of Steve McQueen really doesn't do it the credit it deserves. Come see it in real life at Maison Blanche next year. There will be a smaller version of it at turn 10 at Sebring this year. To give you some numbers on the hight. The scaffolding we put up was 5 meters high or 15 foot.The billboard was 12 foot high and I think 9 foot wide. This year it will be hanging down from the scaffolding again, but slightly higher.

As for you airbrush art. I liked the link you put in your post. It looks very cool. I don't think we would mind having one done, we are currently in the process of painting a banner for the racing for holland team which is going to be 30 foot long and 24 foot high. Just stop buy at Le Mans for a beer and who knows what will come from it.

I have given up on being on facebook and myspace, I kept mixing them up and invited people to come on Myface!
Jonnyspa27

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2006, 01:13:11 am »

I was thinking of doing one for Jan Lammers in the Jaguar XJR-9LM, decked out in the 'Silk Cut' colors. I'm still kicking around some ideas for that and for a similar t-shirt scheme. I'll keep you posted on how it will shake out. Of corse I'll stop by for a beer!  Smiley

Le Mans '07 goals:
1)Just to get there!
scotto
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2006, 02:58:33 pm »

The quickest route is the A10 motorway out of Paris, connecting with the A11 motorway just
before Chartes. But, the A11 turns into a toll road soon after, and the toll from Chartes to
Le Mans is around #20.   Get off before the toll road and take N32 into Lemans, and save
the toll and buy a couple cases of beer.
Jonnyspa27

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2006, 06:45:25 pm »

Thanks for the hot tip, I'll have to keep that one in mind scotto. :-)

Le Mans '07 goals:
1)Just to get there!
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2006, 10:07:53 pm »

Quick word of advice, you'll be wasting your time going to Rouen les Essarts looking for the old circut.
Nothing exist anymore....NOTHING!  They've even paved over the cobblestones at the hairpin.
You don't actually read F1 Racing do you?(LOL)
Fax, I know you posted this with the best possible motives, but it is simply wrong to say that nothing remains of the original circuit. True, the stands have gone, along with the pits - it was a crime to demolish those buildings, especially the pits and control tower, but nobody was prepared to put up the cash required, and the stands were crumbling into the road. The cobbles at Nouveau Monde have been lifted - a great shame, but they were slippery when wet and there's a stop sign there... Some of the spectator terracing remains.
The long circuit (1955-1954) had to be shortened when the A13 was built in 1972 - the link from Beauval to the motorway as still there, some of it only accessible on foot - and the new link from Beauval to Paradis was built - you could still walk this until last summer, as it was preserved as a foot/cycle path, but they were busy resurfacing it then and removing at least some of the old rumble kerbs. Today you can drive the entire original (1950-1954) circuit, Six Freres (there's no chicane there) and all. It's trace has changed very little over the years, unlike Le Mans, which has been changed at almost every corner and the pits, paddock and grandstands demolished and replaced.
Reims is something else. The grandstands and pits remain, and Les Amis du Circuit du Gueux http://acg.site.voila.fr/ are making an effort to renovate the stands and pits, but very slowly. Most of the pits straight remains, but Thillois and Gueux corners have vanished beneath road improvements.
All the same both Rouen-les-Essarts and Reims are well worth visiting.
There are also the two Dieppe circuits, of which the 1907-1912 version in particular is still recognisable and fun to drive - since it passes though several small towns and villages. I can't get my Alfa round quicker than about 6th fastest time in 1907, even on Christmas morning, holding over 100mph on the straights, and there are miles of straights.
Jonnyspa27, If you're flying in to CDG and hiring a car, and want to visit Reims and Rouen-les-Essarts, maybe Dieppe too, I'd go Paris (CDG), Reims, Amiens, Rouen, Le Mans, and avoid the Paris peripherique altogether. It's almost all motorway now.
Having sad that, they're talking about holding an exhibition in June of racing cars along the Champs Elysees over the last century to celebrate the centenary of the French Grand Prix. You can get the RER metro from the airport to cental Paris in no time flat, though.
Which ever way you go have fun.  Wink
Jonnyspa27

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 01:17:32 am »

I was thinking of doing the Reims, Rouen Le Mans route initially but it seems that getting to Le Mans first and then doing that trip would make more sense because of the camping space available. I think we were going to arrive on tue or Wed. I would like to have some time to devote to those places. I also contacted the president of Les Amis du Circuit du Gueux to see if I could help at a work day cleaning and refurbishing signage. I think it would be a great experience for my graphic design degree. It would be a study not only historically but internationally as well. Also I wasn't too aware of the Dieppe circuit, can you give me a bit of history on that, I'd love to find out more!

Le Mans '07 goals:
1)Just to get there!
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2006, 10:48:34 am »

Jonny, there's a location map and a bit of info here http://www.racingcircuits.net/France/index.html

(and is a useful starting source for other circuits of the world)

Steve East Anglian cobras

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: