Club Arnage
April 28, 2024, 03:33:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Talk It Up !  (Read 10375 times)
amazing 1
Uncle Pervy Welshman
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Male Underwear Super Model Two BEERS Please

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2006, 06:01:12 pm »

This thread is not an attempt to be some sort of smart ass.

My desire to go to Lemans is what led me to this site well over a year ago.Just like some of you being unable to make it to Sebring,I have to realize that due to the tremendous expense me going to Lemans might  never happen. Sad
 What really impressed about about all of you guys is how much thought and hard work you guys put into your camp sites as well as the all out attempt to have fun. Just like the group from Turn 10,its all about making new friends and having a hell of alot fun while doing it.
  Your pics and threads about the massive preperations bring much joy to me.
This is funnest most relaxed motorsports site that I am member of.I have met alot of people that I consider to be my closest friends.I apologize to Robspot,IRW as well as any other forum members who are possibly a bit tired of hearing us carry on.
 I would also like to give my opinion on the Lemans vs. Sebring thing.
Lemans is by far the most prestigous sports car in the world , bar none.But I have never been there so I cant carry on about it.Sebring is the most important sports car race in the USA.I love Sebring and will continue to go every year that the good lord is willing to let me.

So would guys please bombard me with all of the pics,  vids and stories of your preperations and past experiences.It does mean alot to me.

Thanks Randy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

One more thing

LETS HERE A BIG CHEER FOR THE GIMP !!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

TURN 10 "YOUR SPOT IN THE SUN"

GO SHANE GO!!!

GO TEAM IMPALA GO !!!
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 06:15:04 pm »

My desire to go to Lemans is what led me to this site well over a year ago.Just like some of you being unable to make it to Sebring,I have to realize that due to the tremendous expense me going to Lemans might  never happen. Sad

Randy, I'm sure that if you could get yourself a cheap flight over to the UK we could get you to Le mans, feed and water you and get you back into the UK again no trouble with very little expense to yourself.
I'm sure that you would be made welcome by any CA member at their campsite.
you may only ever go to Le Mans once but you will never forget it

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 06:37:53 pm »

I have never been to Sebring, but I have been to every Le mans 24hr since 1980, the first 7 with my mum & dad, then with just my brother until the early 90's when more of my friends started to join us. The size of group has varied up to about 10, which is the number that will be with us again this year, 3 of whom are LM virgins.

Over the years I have meet some wonderful people there and can't imagine a year that I don't go, I have come close a couple of times, one year I had to leave my pregant wife in hospital, thnakfully it all turned out well, another time it missed exams at school to go. Some years I could hardly scrape togeather enough money for the ferry. But i have always made it, and as long as the good lord spares me I hope to contine

Ok the track may not be the same, the viewing may not be as good......But it is still a magicial place that can make you get goose bumps, the silance after the cars have left the start on there first lap, followed 4 minutes later by more noise than your ears can bear, getting back trackside early sunday morning and seeing the travel stained cars still pounding rounding for example.

I hope you have as good a time there as I have had and you can take back some great memories.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
RichUK
CA Veteran

KK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 06:39:41 pm »

There always seem to be people in groups who have spare seats in cars going to and from Le Mans.

The only difficult bit would be getting a cheap flight to the UK, everything else is just logistics Smiley

I've come to believe that Le Mans is the centre of the universe.
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 06:46:31 pm »

I had a couple of Newbies last year, and when the cars fired up just before the parade lap, one leaned over to me as we sat in the grandstand and just said 'Thanks'.  The atmosphere had got to him in a big way.

I know how you feel, Randy - I would dearly like to come over for Sebring, but now on a (very) limited income, it is unlikely. I've been going to LM since '65, and that has to be the priority for me. Now where's that lottery ticket?? 

Del

Team Delboy Racing
Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 07:00:35 pm »

sh*t - I've just written the most immense of all immense posts and lost it!!!   

Arse.    I'll have another go when I regain the will to live  Grin
RichUK
CA Veteran

KK

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 07:03:57 pm »

and when the cars fired up just before the parade lap,

I think that does it for many people, certainly did with me.

pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 07:14:00 pm »

and when the cars fired up just before the parade lap,

I think that does it for many people, certainly did with me.

Yep - that's the moment that does it for me too. All that planning, the anticipation, everything coming to the moment before the off. Fantastic.......

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
RichUK
CA Veteran

KK

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 07:16:37 pm »

In fact, talking about it now, is making the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 07:16:44 pm »

I get emotional at the start and the finish of the race.

However, I cried at the end of the 24 hr 2CV race at Snetterton last year so don't suppose that counts!
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 07:45:29 pm »

However, I cried at the end of the 24 hr 2CV race at Snetterton last year so don't suppose that counts!

I don't suppose a grid full of 2CV's (what IS the collective noun for 2CV's??) sounds much like the 25000+ horsepower on the LM grid.

Del

Team Delboy Racing
wishy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Shed's do track days!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 08:42:38 pm »

In 1990 I had tickets for the race and due to redundancy put paid to me going .......which at the time I was totally gutted.

Then  in early 98.Pretzel asked me if I would go out to the race in 99 for his 40th birthday....to which I said yes.....what a fool.

Then on spec my   brother in-law and I decided to go to the 98 race and have a preliminary look at this Le Mans to see what  this thingy was all about.

So with a 2 man tent,portable barbie and 2 deckchairs,off we went to see the greatest motor racing event in the world.

In 98 we stayed on the overspill campsite called"Karting North",which we had to pitch the tent in between the piles of earth that had been dumped there. A far cry from today's level tidy site. The toilets were portaloo's and after 1 day were not even fit for humans to use!!!!!.

Here we are 9 years later....still going and making life more comfortable on the camping front with friges lighting and all the other gear you take.

But ......I always look forward to just before the start of the race when the national anthems are played.........You feel it is great to be british when all the fans sing at full volume , you would think you were at an event at home and not in France!!!!!!!!..........and then the race begins.

Wishy
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 09:33:53 pm »

Mr Amazing Please, please don’t take my comments about Sebring in any way other than pure envy at not being able to get there, had hoped to be there this year but redundancy and lack of finances made it impossible. Just loved the reports of the crazy Turn 10 crew, one day I'll be there.
The impression is that most goings on are within the Sebring Raceway, if so, the difference at Le Mans is that it starts at the ferry ports, on the boat, the journey down and then the whole city is buzzing around the race, as it has since the historical beginnings. Doesn’t matter where you camp, you'll make friends, everyone is up for a good time and a laugh, get a problem, somebody will have a fix, need something, somebody will have it. Club Arnage just keeps it going whilst waiting in between!
If it’s not possible this year, start stashing a few bucks a week for next year, you're presence (and other compatriots) and sense of humour would be appreciated. Alternatively get a loan and pay it back over the next year!     

« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 09:55:27 pm by IRW » Logged
Tubs

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2006, 11:20:21 pm »

I had a couple of Newbies last year, and when the cars fired up just before the parade lap, one leaned over to me as we sat in the grandstand and just said 'Thanks'.  The atmosphere had got to him in a big way.
A guy I met through work joined us for his first Le Mans in 2003. 46 years old and fulfilling a lifelong dream to go to Le Mans. He'd never gone since none of his friends had ever had any interest in motor racing. Same thing happened to him, Del. Engines fired up and the cars disappeared out of sight on the parade lap. I looked across at him to see he was blubbing like a child in floods of tears, completely overwhelmed by the occasion. Le Mans really is that special!!
johnevans3
CA Veteran

Howdy Pardner

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2006, 12:11:57 am »

Tubs, you and Delboy nailed it for me as well!!   A lifelong (since 14 years old) dream of going to Le Mans and at 59 years old, I went for the first time.  Not many Americans even know about it or to those that know, it's just a distant place where cars run for 24 hours and we read an excerpt in Motor Trend, Road and Track, or Car and Driver.  It's a dream that they will never know. 

But I was fortunate year before last and Giles from Le Mans and Brian, Jimmy, Ian, and Chris, the Liverpool Boys made me most welcomed.  They counldn't have been more accomodating and helpful.  I had the emotional tears, crying like a baby, heart pounding just like the drivers, and a soft moment just before 4:00 o'clock and I thanked God for those guys who made it special for me.  It was one of the most emotional times of my life.  I owe them a lifelong debt of gratitude that can never be repaid. 

Then, last year a repea, with the Liverpool Boys and the addition of JP Chenet (Mark who secured my tickets for me and drove in to London to bring them to me) and many of the CAer's who make it work for ill prepared visitors from another continent.   I know this sounds so soapy to some, especially those who are lucky enough to have gone for years and maybe take the whole Le Mans experience for granted, but try to remember the first time.....

Randy, just get there and it will happen.   Have faith brother, and connect up with these guys.  You will get a chance to repay some who manage to come to Sebring....  If you truely love endurance motor racing, your life WILL be empty until it's done.....
John
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: