Club Arnage
March 28, 2024, 05:55:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seb*ing 2007  (Read 222791 times)
Dave H
CA Veteran

burrrrrrrrppppp

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: February 21, 2007, 04:36:15 pm »

Is there a Sebring version of RLM? If so can it be heard on the PA or will I need a radio?

Hindie is commentator for the race so you'll feel at home.  There are PAs (in English!) but the proximity to the track makes things a little hard to follow all the time.  There is a broadcast throughout the event - overlaps a little with a couple of other FM stations, but you can find it.  You can get a little radio locally (e.g. Wally World), or bring your own.  Everything works the same as in Europe radio-wise.
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #346 on: February 21, 2007, 06:41:20 pm »

You can also hire a walkie talkie (or use your own scanner) to tune to the pit/car freqeuencies. I took a scanner (with no manual) last year and didn't have much success finding anything of interest - but I'm told the frequencies are published someplace.
gab
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 22, 2007, 06:41:43 am »

I took a scanner (with no manual) last year ...

Oh, that was a scanner that you had in your hand the whole time at Sebring, funny shaped scanner, I could of swore that it was a beer can. Grin
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #348 on: February 22, 2007, 10:45:18 am »

Wishy and me  Grin are now booked.

Gatwick - Orlando (me down1 Manchester Airport first)
out - 13 March
Back 19 March

Just got to sort out motor at other end.

Things I do, just because I brought a Orange DFH  T-shirt!

By the way, Wishy i forgot to tell you how I got such cheap flights, but just look at it, you do have the best seat on the plane.....

« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 08:03:05 pm by nopanic » Logged

If you're going through hell, keep going.
amazing 1
Uncle Pervy Welshman
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Male Underwear Super Model Two BEERS Please

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 22, 2007, 04:10:30 pm »

I took a scanner (with no manual) last year ...

Oh, that was a scanner that you had in your hand the whole time at Sebring, funny shaped scanner, I could of swore that it was a beer can. Grin

LOL  !!! Grin

TURN 10 "YOUR SPOT IN THE SUN"

GO SHANE GO!!!

GO TEAM IMPALA GO !!!
Pieter
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: February 22, 2007, 04:13:25 pm »

No sweat Mike - I got you covered...
Hi Mike, I'd like to add Julian if possible, I just saw he wasn't counted in this.
knetter
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Burn mother...... burn!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #351 on: February 23, 2007, 05:10:09 pm »

I was wondering if he was going at all? Did not hear a lot of him lately on any of the forums, thought he might skip Sebring this year.

I have given up on being on facebook and myspace, I kept mixing them up and invited people to come on Myface!
Pieter
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 24, 2007, 01:34:56 am »

He'll be there but he has been very busy lately. I'm travelling with Man Shaving Baldly and Julian.
LangTall
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Llama's kick ass!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #353 on: February 24, 2007, 12:41:59 pm »

He'll be there but he has been very busy lately. I'm travelling with Man Shaving Baldly and Julian.
Did Martijn have a fight with his shaving gear?

This film should be played at high volume, so don't come complaining about it! And who the hell is Steve?
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 24, 2007, 11:12:24 pm »

I've received a few pm's regarding car rental, insurance and the like. I dunno if the following is at all helpful. It is not meant to be patronising or demeaning - just a few observations based upon my experience here.
Car Rental
Renting a car/minivan/SUV is cheap and straightforward - but the rental company will try to up-sell insurance coverage (a lot of which you don't need)
Make sure that the cost of repair of the rented vehicle and anything or anyone (other than yourself) that you damage with it, is covered.
You can reduce the amount of the insurance deductable (the amount you pay in the event of a claim), by paying extra (CDW)
Personal Injury (to yourself) should be covered by your travel insurance - you have got travel insurance, right? You are insane if you come here without insurance that will cover medical expenses in the event of you falling ill or hurting yourself. Medical costs in this country are GIGANTIC - so don't risk it!
Uninsured Driver is another add on - because, unfortunately there are a hell of a lot of uninsured drivers in this state. I buy it, but I have to contend with the risk every day - if I was visiting for a few days, I'd probably decline it.
Driving in Florida
Driving standards in this state are very poor compared to Europe. Although US roads are much wider and straighter than European ones, Americans still manage to crash into each other with monotonous regularity. Your greatest risk is being rear-ended at traffic lights by following traffic that didn't expect you to stop for a yellow, preceding a red light - or you being T-Boned by some one running a red light - because you went immediately on your green. So - if you approach a light that goes yellow - keep going - and never, ever go on green until you are sure nobody is blazing through a red.
In many cases you may turn right on red - but not always - so read the signs.
Get out of the way of emergency vehicles - even if that means stopping in travel lanes.
Do not pass school busses (in either direction) that are stopped with red flashing lights - OK on-coming if it is a divided road (i.e. with a central median)
Expect people to overtake you on the inside.
Don't expect people to use turn signals
Don't get involved in ANY name-calling, rude hand gestures etc. Very many Floridians are armed - and may use deadly force if they feel threatened.
The Law
We have a wide and disperate variety of cops here - all of them have the power to really f*ck-up your afternoon.
City Cops, Sherrifs Deputies and FL State Troopers all have constant scanning radar in their vehicles. They like nothing better than busting you for speeding - and if you can't show a FL license, you are going to pay on the spot. Fines can be very steep for leadfoots.
Troopers on I-4 and SR27 (the southerly route from Orlando to Sebring) are out in force during race week.
The cops also take a dim view of drinking and driving. If they catch you, you go to jail - no question. If you are at the circuit and need to head out for supplies - send someone sober - the cops are just waiting for piss-heads doing beer runs. Unless you like having your personal possessions and your anal virginity stolen by fellow inmates, don't risk it.
Don't under any circumstances, argue with cops, unless you'd like to experience being Tazered, first hand.
You should carry some form of photo ID with you all the time. No ID usually ends up with a trip to the can, to establish just who the hell you are.   
Heed the above - and you'll be fine!
Matt

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 25, 2007, 12:16:28 am »

I've received a few pm's regarding car rental, insurance and the like. I dunno if the following is at all helpful. It is not meant to be patronising or demeaning - just a few observations based upon my experience here.
Car Rental
Renting a car/minivan/SUV is cheap and straightforward - but the rental company will try to up-sell insurance coverage (a lot of which you don't need)
Make sure that the cost of repair of the rented vehicle and anything or anyone (other than yourself) that you damage with it, is covered.
You can reduce the amount of the insurance deductable (the amount you pay in the event of a claim), by paying extra (CDW)
Personal Injury (to yourself) should be covered by your travel insurance - you have got travel insurance, right? You are insane if you come here without insurance that will cover medical expenses in the event of you falling ill or hurting yourself. Medical costs in this country are GIGANTIC - so don't risk it!
Uninsured Driver is another add on - because, unfortunately there are a hell of a lot of uninsured drivers in this state. I buy it, but I have to contend with the risk every day - if I was visiting for a few days, I'd probably decline it.
Driving in Florida
Driving standards in this state are very poor compared to Europe. Although US roads are much wider and straighter than European ones, Americans still manage to crash into each other with monotonous regularity. Your greatest risk is being rear-ended at traffic lights by following traffic that didn't expect you to stop for a yellow, preceding a red light - or you being T-Boned by some one running a red light - because you went immediately on your green. So - if you approach a light that goes yellow - keep going - and never, ever go on green until you are sure nobody is blazing through a red.
In many cases you may turn right on red - but not always - so read the signs.
Get out of the way of emergency vehicles - even if that means stopping in travel lanes.
Do not pass school busses (in either direction) that are stopped with red flashing lights - OK on-coming if it is a divided road (i.e. with a central median)
Expect people to overtake you on the inside.
Don't expect people to use turn signals
Don't get involved in ANY name-calling, rude hand gestures etc. Very many Floridians are armed - and may use deadly force if they feel threatened.
The Law
We have a wide and disperate variety of cops here - all of them have the power to really f*ck-up your afternoon.
City Cops, Sherrifs Deputies and FL State Troopers all have constant scanning radar in their vehicles. They like nothing better than busting you for speeding - and if you can't show a FL license, you are going to pay on the spot. Fines can be very steep for leadfoots.
Troopers on I-4 and SR27 (the southerly route from Orlando to Sebring) are out in force during race week.
The cops also take a dim view of drinking and driving. If they catch you, you go to jail - no question. If you are at the circuit and need to head out for supplies - send someone sober - the cops are just waiting for piss-heads doing beer runs. Unless you like having your personal possessions and your anal virginity stolen by fellow inmates, don't risk it.
Don't under any circumstances, argue with cops, unless you'd like to experience being Tazered, first hand.
You should carry some form of photo ID with you all the time. No ID usually ends up with a trip to the can, to establish just who the hell you are.   
Heed the above - and you'll be fine!
Matt

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together...

By the way thanks Matt...

>Martini...

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
amazing 1
Uncle Pervy Welshman
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 25, 2007, 02:43:48 am »

Coming from a native Floridian  angel,I would say Matt H. is spot on. police

GO SHANE GO!!!

GO TEAM IMPALA GO !!!
gab
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 25, 2007, 11:27:11 am »

...agree with Randy, very good and useful info, I can read lot`s of expeience in that report  Wink
Matt`s right, follow his tips and you won`t ruin your visit.
knetter
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Burn mother...... burn!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #358 on: February 25, 2007, 11:45:34 am »

Sounds like living in Vermont!!! Police is the same. How about people not driving but drinking in the car, in Vermont the driver could get imprisoned for that as well.

Other than that it sounds very familiar to me.

I have given up on being on facebook and myspace, I kept mixing them up and invited people to come on Myface!
amazing 1
Uncle Pervy Welshman
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 25, 2007, 03:20:37 pm »

I am not sure exactly how it reads,but there is an open container law.

All of this is why I do not leave the track.

If you do have to go.Go in the morning before you start drinking. Shocked
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 03:23:52 pm by amazing 1 » Logged

GO SHANE GO!!!

GO TEAM IMPALA GO !!!
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: