Club Arnage
April 29, 2024, 04:27:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: traveling to LeMans 07 from western Canada  (Read 27111 times)
trevorc

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2007, 02:52:13 am »

Camping's a good option as you'll really get to soak up the atmosphere and won't need to worry about your booze intake as you'll be on site!  Equipment is cheap and easy to buy here and many just leave it behind when they go.  I have several spare tents (as do others) and would be happy to lend you one - easy for me as I live here.
 Mr Termite and I use the train a lot to travel back and forth to the UK.  If you want transport, there are hire car firms here but whether you'll be able to book one at this stage I don't know.  You could try taking the Eurostar from Waterloo to Lille and hiring a car there - they may be less well subscribed than in Le Mans itself.  Another alternative is to fly Ryanair from Stanstead to Tours and hire a car there - very cheap but not as relaxing as the train.
Our own Canada Phil makes the trip every year - I'm sure he'll have some good advice for you.

Thanks for the info termietermite  !!    I am inclined to take the train and I am leaning towards the camping idea as it seems like a fun way to experience LeMans.    Obvious question I suppose, but the camper grounds have shower and associated facilities ??  Are some better than others ?? 

Anyone know if it is safe to take film through airport security thesee days??  Perhaps best if I purchased film in the UK or France and find an E6 lab before flying back here.
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2007, 01:15:18 pm »

Basically (and when I say basic, I mean it!) yes, these facilities are available.  A detailed description of these is available in Werner's excellent guide
http://www.clubarnage.com/caguide
However, you will find that by now you are pretty much stuck with either Bleu Nord our Beausejour for camping as the others are sold out (there may be some returns for others still to come but you can't rely on them.)
You can buy the tickets on line now (there's a link about this somewhere in the General Discussion board) - I'll find it.
Ah.. http://www.lemans.org/24heuresdumans/live/pages/billetterie_gb.html
Film : Buy in the UK NOT France - it's horribly expensive here.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 01:19:26 pm by termietermite » Logged

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2007, 02:58:26 pm »

Hi Trevor, we are one short for this year so will have room if you want to come and pitch a tent with us on Maison Blanche.  I have got a spare tent but space in the car being what it is if Termietermite can sort you out with something that would be easier.   I'm sure there will be others who have some space as well.  We'll be there from Monday to Monday. 

My OH KeithK is a photographer and is happy to chat to you about film etc., he's planning to shoot more on film again this year.

I'll drop you a pm as well. 
Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2007, 03:00:21 pm »

I can tell you're a good deal younger than me piglet, or you would not be grinning about the fact that last year is gone!

Sorry missed this TT, I struggle to remember what day it is most of the time let alone the year!!   Grin
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 04:15:09 pm by Steve Brown » Logged
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2007, 06:37:09 pm »

Trevor/Piglet I can get the tent to Piglet and then she can provide the bit of grass!  How's that for a deal?  You'll need a general entrance ticket to get into MB because it's inside the circuit but those you can buy on line (see above). You'll be able to get a bus from the station to the circuit - details will be in the guide once the (bus) timetable is published.  See you in June.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
trevorc

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2007, 12:15:58 am »

Trevor/Piglet I can get the tent to Piglet and then she can provide the bit of grass!  How's that for a deal?  You'll need a general entrance ticket to get into MB because it's inside the circuit but those you can buy on line (see above). You'll be able to get a bus from the station to the circuit - details will be in the guide once the (bus) timetable is published.  See you in June.

You guys are all marvellous !!   

Despite being Canadian, not much of a drinker anymore here either !!

I pretty sure that I'm going to take the train all the way from Waterloo then....  If I have this figured out right, EuroStar to Paris, then TGV to LeMans.

TC
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2007, 12:27:43 am »

What is your travelling schedule, Trevor??

I will have space in my car for 1 - if the timings are right, could get you all the way to LM and back again to the UK without the need for further public transport.  You wouldn't need a camping ticket either.

Del

Team Delboy Racing
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2007, 10:03:11 am »

Trevor, that sort of depends!  At some times of day you can get a train to Lille and change there for a direct connection to LM.  Easier than crossing Paris from the Gare du Nord to Monparnasse.  If DelBoy's offer doesn't suit (and why wouldn't it?) - I'll try to find the times. 

Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2007, 01:19:56 pm »

Trevor, don't listen to any of them! All they want to do is lure you to the camp site then cook you and eat you.  Wink

* Cannibals.jpg (27.99 KB, 300x255 - viewed 324 times.)

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2007, 02:10:35 pm »

Trevor, don't listen to any of them! All they want to do is lure you to the camp site then cook you and eat you.  Wink

LOL!!  Shhh don't tell him that, it's difficult to keep enough food over the race weekend  Grin

BTW Andy, your avatar has really put me off my lunch!! 
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2007, 02:21:29 pm »

All they want to do is lure you to the camp site then cook you and eat you.  Wink

Make a nice change from merguez!   There is a limit to how much sausage you can handle in a week....  Wink

F
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2007, 02:55:47 pm »

Trevor,

Aside from the latent cannibalistic tendencies of some, worry not - the advice you have had is all good and the offers of assistance reflect a genuine spirit of CA and its members to help those of like mind who are travelling from afar.   By and large, whatever you need to survive the week is either available on loan from others, or is cheap enough from the supermarkets to be able to leave it behind without much angst.  The key is getting yourself to Le Mans by whatever means, as there are plenty who are willing to pitch in and help by picking you up from the railway station and generally welcoming you to the fold and including you in the proceedings.  The circuit campsites are undoubtedly the places to be - what they may lack in facilities (or have in queues for them) is more than compensated for by the proximity to the track, the atmosphere and the social life.  Don't bank on sleep or sobriety being priorities though!  Good luck with the trip and we'll see you in June,

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2007, 03:46:07 pm »

I take it you don't mean the man on the piano?

The etching of the Maison Blanche BBQ is similar to the annual Poo Bar photo. You can make out some of the CA regulars on there eating that poor Texan who showed up in 2005, i think he was called John Evans. Anyway, he wasn't there in 06, so I'm kinda assuming that's him right there on the grill. Obviously it's Termie on the right gnawing at an arm and Fran at the rear right waving a whole leg being helped by Canada Phil. Steve Brown seems to be poking the fire, assisted by Raoul, BigH's Brazilian dwarf. BobU seems to be holding what appears to be a foot , whatever it is it seems to be bigger than six inches long, but perhaps it's something more unpalatable. I think he might be making a salad out of it. Gibberish looks impressed anyway. Oh and that's Lorry at the back waving his arms so as not to be left out of the horrid banquet. I can't help thinking somehow The Gimp's behind all this...

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2007, 04:13:38 pm »

BobU seems to be holding what appears to be a foot , whatever it is it seems to be bigger than six inches long, but perhaps it's something more unpalatable. I think he might be making a salad out of it.

Not this time Shocked

* normal_bangers[2].JPG (175.3 KB, 480x360 - viewed 288 times.)

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2007, 08:26:09 pm »

I take it you don't mean the man on the piano?

The etching of the Maison Blanche BBQ is similar to the annual Poo Bar photo. You can make out some of the CA regulars on there eating that poor Texan who showed up in 2005, i think he was called John Evans. Anyway, he wasn't there in 06...

Nope I'm obviously familiar with the cannibals...it's piano bloke that scared me  Grin Grin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: