Club Arnage
April 29, 2024, 01:58:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: traveling to LeMans 07 from western Canada  (Read 27109 times)
trevorc

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2006, 04:18:08 am »

Hello all.....

I'm posting in hopes of getting advice from some of you more experienced LeMans attendees...

I will be attending my first LeMans this year, a life long desire. I am currently planning on flying direct from Calgary to one of the London airports, but that is as far as I have gotten with plans. I understand there are many activities in LeMans the week prior to the race, so I would like to be there for those.

Where I would really appreciate tapping the collective experience is in regards to best way to travel to LeMans (the Sunday before??), suggestions on accommodations, general suggestions that will help me get the most out of this trip.

I recall seeing packages advertised in Autosport last year, is this a good way to go? Are there tour operators to be avoided or highly recommended? If I make my own arrangements, what hotels/motels (and remember I'm a Canadian, so there may be differences in how hotels/motels operate). Should I arrange my own car and ferry? Or take the channel tunnel train ?? I just don't know what would be the best approach.

Thanks for any insights, suggestions, recommendations you can make....

Trevor
Calgary, Alberta Canada
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 04:14:13 pm by Steve Brown » Logged
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 11:43:09 am »

Trevor.  Welcome to CA.  Have a good look at Werner's excellent CA guide first
http://www.lemanszone.de/caguide2007/caguide2006-full.pdf
there are lots of experiences from others on there - many well seasoned campaigners. 
Camping's a good option as you'll really get to soak up the atmosphere and won't need to worry about your booze intake as you'll be on site!  Equipment is cheap and easy to buy here and many just leave it behind when they go.  I have several spare tents (as do others) and would be happy to lend you one - easy for me as I live here.
 Mr Termite and I use the train a lot to travel back and forth to the UK.  If you want transport, there are hire car firms here but whether you'll be able to book one at this stage I don't know.  You could try taking the Eurostar from Waterloo to Lille and hiring a car there - they may be less well subscribed than in Le Mans itself.  Another alternative is to fly Ryanair from Stanstead to Tours and hire a car there - very cheap but not as relaxing as the train.
Our own Canada Phil makes the trip every year - I'm sure he'll have some good advice for you.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 11:46:36 am by termietermite » Logged

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 09:54:58 pm »

Hi Trevor,
              Termie has already covered a lot. If travelling alone I suggest the Eurostar train. Vist Paris and train to Le Mans .
If renting a car pick it up in France as ferries are expensive.
PM me for more details.
Canada Phil
Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 10:23:25 pm »

Hi Trevor, I'm glad you made it over to here  Grin

Take a look at the guide, the Le Mans week starts on Monday with scruitineering in the town centre and goes on from there.  The drivers parade on the Friday is worth seeing, although the campsites are pretty active on the Friday as well!

It's well worth the trip!

This site is pretty quiet at the moment, things will start to pick up as we get nearer to the event, pitch in with the rest of us though, most of the natives are friendly!

Truck
CA Veteran

Are you HGV positive?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 02:00:14 pm »

Last week I had a quick look at a couple of sites for large groups of hotels, and could find nothing available within 50 miles.  There was some space at Formule 1 at Alencon, but its basic and the wrong side of town.

Don't be put off by camping, as equipment tends to be very cheap and the weather is usually warm to hot.  The facilities are not great, but adequate and improving.

I've flown from the Uk to a number of regional airports in France and its very easy, with Hertz and Avis at every one, even if they do have only 2 planes a day, and I pay about £150 a week for a small minivan (if thats what you call them - a 7 seater)

Back to step 1.  You know you've got to go

Step 2  Have you booked any tickets?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 02:02:38 pm by Truck » Logged

Help, get me out of here.  Its Lorry

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 09:59:30 am »

Trevor have a look at this link which fagey found
http://www.lemans.org/sport/sport/calendrier/pdf/billet24h_2007.pdf
The new campsite at Tertre Rouge has tents provided in the price!  It's not that cheap but you might be able to flog the tent when you leave as it's got the logo on it!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 11:15:19 am by termietermite » Logged

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
trevorc

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 10:24:59 pm »

Thanks...   :-)    I'm really excited about it.  Feeling like a school boy all over again. Not a 50+ old guy...    grin
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 10:02:29 am »

Thanks...   :-)    I'm really excited about it.  Feeling like a school boy all over again. Not a 50+ old guy...    grin
Most of us feel the same way. Grin School girl in my case but...

Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 10:07:30 am »

When you get there you can act like a schoolboy and no-one cares.

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 09:58:22 pm »

How are your plans coming together trevor?  I've got a couple of spare tents and *should* have some space to take some gear over to LM although if Mrs Termie can supply some kit it might be easier as she's closer to hand.

five months time and we'll be there!  Grin
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 10:54:54 am »

Yup, Trevor, please let us know what you want.  I currently have 3 spare tents but I can see them getting used up so get your order in quick! Smiley

LangTall
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Llama's kick ass!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 10:16:31 pm »

Still you're doing something near impossible, planning to go to LeMans 06. Wink

This film should be played at high volume, so don't come complaining about it! And who the hell is Steve?
Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 04:00:07 pm »

Still you're doing something near impossible, planning to go to LeMans 06. Wink

LOL Lang Tall, well spotted, are you completely obsessed with people getting this year's race and next year's race correct.  I think you made the same point on another thread  Grin

so....let's breathe....it is now this year's race and last year is gone  Grin
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 04:03:28 pm »

I can tell you're a good deal younger than me piglet, or you would not be grinning about the fact that last year is gone!

trevorc

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007, 02:34:38 am »

I've been offline for a couple weeks due to work commitments, but thanks for the comments, altho I'm not sure of the value of the 006 vs 007 one... 

Anyway, in a somewhat related query, is it possible to rent a camper van ??  ie: something like a Westie?  Or alternatively, are rental cars available in LeMans during the period (or is it necessary to book months in advance)?

I posed this question to Canada Phil already, but in interest of anyone who searches this thread in the future, do I need a Visa to enter France, or will my Canadian passport be enough ?

Once again, thanks for any advice..
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: