Club Arnage
May 02, 2024, 06:27:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2009 - Not sure if I will bother  (Read 32468 times)
Big_M

I am a gay man trapped in a women's body

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2008, 06:36:51 pm »

I have done Le Mans for the last five years and I never thought I would say this, but I think that I am going to take a break for a few years.

I love the racing - and this year was one of the best races ever - but I don't like the hooligan edge, crap French organisation and attitude. I have a limited understanding of French - enough to get buy - but the French shrug of shoulders to say "yes you have a point but I wont/cant do anything about it" is sooo irritating. 

Unfortunately I can't make this year's classic so will have to wait until 2010 - so is there anything else that is a suitable alternative?  I will be doing Britcar 24hr in September at Silverstone.
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 07:05:20 pm »

Sebring in March ! No attitude just a friendly open paddock, a friendly camp area oh and lots of great nice people out at Turn 10  Grin
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 08:46:15 pm »

Or just go back.  If it is not your scene, then avoid the times and places that you don't like and go to the places you do like at the right times - which is why we avoid Arnage, the road outside Bleu and HA on a Friday afternoon/eveningm, which seems to work pretty well for us, and there are alternatives to the circuit campsites.   

MG Mark 

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 11:12:30 pm »

Mark has hit the nail right on the head here.

However, if the ACO piss up about again, most of our lot will be saying goodbye to LM24 and going to the Manx TT instead. Only to return to La Sarthe for the classic and will be hotelling it.

Over the last few years, I have done exactly what Mark suggests and have avoided any trouble which makes things more enjoyable.
Although at Expo, you can view some burn out antics near the bar and still be fairly safe. Just don't take the car.

At my age, it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, growing old is compulsary, but growing up is just optional.

I don't do GREEN, I've got a 4x4
Brad Zarse
Demi Moore's toy boy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Drinking can be hazardous to your health.....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 12:09:14 am »

from my perspective, over the years, the racing has taken a bit of a back seat to the social side.  Don't get me wrong, I'm as petrol headed as they come, but Le-mans for me is all about the combination of being at a motorsports event, and having a dammed good party at the same time.  Sadly this has started to be overtaken by the hooligan element, but you can avoid that side of things.  The Guiness bar on Saturday night for example, was rammed, and was absolutely buzzing, but still fairly sensible - sure there was dancing on tables, and general silliness, but actually it was just people having a good time not a hooligan in sight (unless you count Steve being wheeled around in a wheele bin!).  Areas to avoid in my opinion include bleu Nord/Maison Blanche through road, HA roundabout, and sometimes sadly the Champagne Bar on a saturday night....but the rest should be seen as a celebration that we are all part of the greatest race on the planet.... IMO of course...

Check out my band!  www.blackmarketband.co.uk
On Facebook:  www.facebook.com/bandblackmarket

See you at a gig soon?
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 12:38:24 am »

It does seem to be losing its magic.  Too many hooligans, too many pikeys, too much catch fencing, too many dumb Controlees on the campsites but not enough showers/toilets and no electricity for the price.

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Lord Pig-Pen
Club Arnage God

it's all a bit much at my age.... Ich Habe.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 01:14:26 am »

We will be there next year and every year until I am physically or mentally unable to attend.
LM changes every year and we have to adapt to it.
Its a week in a field in France with the best people you could ever hope to meet, the best fun you could ever have unless being a member of Motley Crue in the early 90's and it will never end Evil

I appreciate that there are aspects that people dont like, so do your best to avoid them, It's not that hard...

This year was fantastic for us and all our crew.

A quote from Mr A. Zarse on Saturday night "They will never beat us"

This year we really made it happen despite all the ACO f**kups..... Roll on 09. Planning is already underway Grin
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 04:01:37 am by Lord Pig-Pen » Logged

What do you mean dust?.... Thats not dust, this is dust! Ich Habe Honda S2000 and its not mine!
Kev_mk3
Club Arnage God

The Cheeky Northern Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 01:36:46 am »

well as for 2009 my changes will be made.

1. The usually crew i go with are not going so i can do what i want.
2. i will NOT be taking my mate who came this year as hes a moaning pain in the arse
3. i will be seeing more of the CA gang

Lord Pig-Pen
Club Arnage God

it's all a bit much at my age.... Ich Habe.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 01:38:44 am »

2. i will NOT be taking my mate who came this year as hes a moaning pain in the arse
Fine decision Kev... you must pop down our way for one of our meets!

What do you mean dust?.... Thats not dust, this is dust! Ich Habe Honda S2000 and its not mine!
Kev_mk3
Club Arnage God

The Cheeky Northern Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 01:45:45 am »

Fine decision Kev... you must pop down our way for one of our meets!
will when i have recovered from the financial spends of last week!

Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 09:56:44 am »

Pretty much the same thread comes up every year, and to large extent I agree.

The people who just want to go for the beer and seem to think that normal laws do not apply because 'we are brits in France' does give the impression of being on the increase.

However anyone who was there in the 80's will tell you it was the same then, I guess the differance then was the draw of the Jags, now the draw seems to be beer.

Having spent this year watching the race on telly, I can tell you twats or no twats I will return!

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 11:21:23 am »

I can agree with Big_M on a lot of counts and also understand where Nordic is coming from. The '80s were a little wild but it seemed like more fun and I do not think as busy, that fact that you could turn up and get a camping ticket a day or so before the race is proof of that. There was also a lot more spectacle, do you remember the fair? Also the cars sounded like cars. Against it were the state of the toilets and cold showers.

It would be good if DFH can get a block booking for MB for next year. I for one do not want to be on the once hallowed ground of HA.

Anyone seen my hat?

>Martini...

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 12:34:27 pm »

Well, I guess I'm an old f*rtess but I was absolutely glued to my grandstand seat from 6 in the morning until after the end of the race, having left it at 3 in the morning for a kip I regretted at the time and still do.  Although I want to walk around the circuit, I found I couldn't keep my eyes off what was going on on the track this year.  Although I felt the three other classes were a bit dull - especially after the Porker shunt early on which ruined GT2.  I bet the factory is really proud of the driver they gave to Raymond... Roll Eyes

Yes, I hate the chav element but it's avoidable.  The 'poo bar meet was much improved this year for the lack of (dare I say it) Tw*ts in evidence.  DFH party was great as ever, although MB did seem subdued.  I'm convinced that a block booking will help that side of it for next year if it comes off.

I do feel pretty sorry for the ACO employees on the ground who seem every year to have to enforse dafter and dafter rules and put up with downright rudeness from some of the "audience".  The farce in the booking office during PQ was something to behold with the organisers having left the staff with the impossible problem of only being able to sell tickets for PQ, so that those who wanted to buy all inclusive tickets with the race weekend included couldn't do so.  There was nearly a second French revolution.

And those wanting to avoid the Mad Friday idiocy could always have raced me round the back lanes of the Sarthe if they'd wanted to..... Smiley

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

I'd rather have another Tropillama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 12:47:53 pm »

After arriving this year and finding that BN was a bit of a mess regarding putting people in the space they had been allocated.
I did have a moment of "I've had enough of this." But then the bier kicked in I started to bump into CAers and of Course DfH
and I was cured.

Yes one does get the idiot element but they are easily avoided. 

This year was one of the better years IMVHO both on and off the track.   So 2009 will have a hard job to do better but thats life.

For sure if I choose not to go again I'd have to leave CA too as I would be most upset to read about the fun I missed.
When I didn't go in 1981 due to lack of funds is was hell I really didn't like that.  So while I can I plan to continue to make the trip.

t.

La Légend s` écrit sous vos yeux.
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 01:10:56 pm »

That's the rub, L/M.  The one year I didn't go was absolute hell - I could think of nothing through most of the year but what I would miss/was missing/had missed.  And anyway, like so many things, LM is what you make it.  Although I wish I understood why some people come who have absolutely no interest in the track action.  I still don't get why they can't stay at home and leave the circuit and the campsites to those who give a stuff.  Meeting your mates and having a p*ss up is great, but I don't get the mentality which invades our hallowed ground to do nothing else but.

Definately an old f*rtess.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: