Club Arnage
April 19, 2024, 03:26:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 158   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modern Commer Replacement  (Read 1034999 times)
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: June 22, 2005, 06:57:50 pm »

Thanks to those who dropped round and showed an interest her and only sorry I didn't get to catch up with MG Mark.

Basically, changing the cylinder head gasket has transformed the beast into a rortin' snortin' machine which will sit comfortably at 55 to 60 mph all day.
So here are the offical statistics from Wisden for you to digest:

Average speed on run from LM to Deauville was 38mph including traffic jams, refuels, piss stops and the big breakdown (see below).  

Average fuel consumption for whole trip was 21mpg (compared to 14 mpg last year)

Milage travelled door to door and back again was 423 miles.

Estimated over a 100 fewer gearchanges each direction due to better power compared to last year. Also estimate she had run over 4000 miles with the blown head gasket. Huh

Top speed reached was 70 mph on the Commer speedo but I have to say I never tried to max it this year, there was no need.

Reliability: Very, very poor.  Fine on the way down, the motor was singing a sweet tune in the cool night air. Return journey was a different matter. Due to a combination of heat exhaustion, hangovers and the Astons going out, we took the decision to leave the curcuit an hour before the race finished rather than risk overheating in the traffic. Within half an hour of setting off she was coughing and spluttering as the fuel kept vapourising due to the heat having nowhere to go. Just after leaving Sees there was an almighty pop as the rad cap blew out followed by the loudest hissing I had heard since a drunken trip to the Bluebell Steam Railway. The cab was instantly filled with clouds of noxious steam and smoke and we made the decision not to press on any further without having a quick look to check everything was ok.

On opening the bonnet, I can honestly say things resembled Mount Etna on a bad day. Smoke was pouring off the oil covered engine block, the blackened cork gaskets were on the point of spontaneous combustion and petrol was actually boiling in the glass dome on top of the petrol pump. After leaving her to cool off for twenty minutes, I opened the rad and it was totally dry. I refilled the radiator, the quantity required being 1 and a half gallons of water, which fortunately i had kept in a jerry can in case of such problems. Suitably refreshed, I hit the starter button and she fired up first time of asking; we were on our way again without so much as a further hiccup.

We also discovered what had gone wrong. What I had neglected to do before we set off was to remove the large Union Jack which had been draped over front, totally blocking off the radiator air intake. Apparently it's a bit of a necessity to have air circulating freely through the rad in the mildly warm weather we were experiencing. It's of course entirely the fault of the stupid vehicle for not reminding me the flag was there and I accept no responsibility for the problems caused. I mean, if you are going to run a vehicle with mystic powers, what is the bloody point if it doesn't use them to tell you it's in distress? What a heap of sh it!  

Seriously, I cannot imagine any modern engine taking a beating like that in the terrible afternoon heat without having melted the engine block or computer chip or warping the alloy head. But to start first ask on the button was absolutely amazing. We just sat there shaking our heads in utter disbelief. There is, I beleive, an undescribable inner strength and integrity to her, a determination to get you home no matter what the consequences, a sort of British Bulldog never-say-die spirit. She should be awarded a DSO (Distinquished Commer Order) for that one. It's a hell of a citation.

She's is, I think you will agree without fear or favour, a beauty! Cheesy

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Mr. Invincible Mou
« Reply #1096 on: June 22, 2005, 07:26:04 pm »

How about a DSC (Distinguished Service Commer)?

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: June 22, 2005, 09:15:15 pm »

only sorry I didn't get to catch up with MG Mark.

Andy,

Indeed, me too - never mind, there will always be another year, or something like one of the BORC rounds this year (the Tunbridge Wells one?).    

What an epic tale of an outstanding vehicle performing in true Bulldog spirit.   And you're right about the mystic qualities - I think that she should have told you rather than waited for you to find out, but then that is, of course, the old girl's prerogative to just let you find out that you had been a bit careless yourself.   Nothing to match that in the MGA - just two unscheduled fuel vaporisation stops in Rouen in traffic jams that needed a 15 minute wait for everything to cool down.   as to a DSO, I reall think it should rather be a CVO - Commer Victorious Order.........

MG Mark

* cvo.gif (15.91 KB, 143x221 - viewed 413 times.)

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Mr. Invincible Mou
« Reply #1098 on: June 22, 2005, 10:42:37 pm »

Well in truth, it should be the VC.

Victorius Commer  Wink

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1099 on: June 22, 2005, 10:50:58 pm »

Victorius Commer  Wink

As presented by De Gaul himself  Roll Eyes

Steve East Anglian cobras

Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: June 22, 2005, 11:17:36 pm »

Very amusing synopsis of your journey Andy. Thank you.
It is always quite exciting to set off on a journey, not really knowing if you are going to make it or not. Hang on, I've got to fly up to Boston on Tuesday - disregard last sentence.  

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Robspot
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: June 23, 2005, 01:14:17 am »

Victorius Commer  Wink

As presented by De Gaul himself  Roll Eyes

Seriously Steve, where do you find these photos?Huh?

I always stay too long. Long enough for something to go wrong
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1102 on: June 23, 2005, 01:26:34 am »

Seriously Steve, where do you find these photos?Huh?

nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1103 on: July 20, 2005, 12:19:14 am »

does this mean newer - as seen on ebay. 

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14256&item=4563227906&rd=1&tc=photo#ebayphotohosting

Dodge Spacevan (Commer PB) 2 Berth Camper 12 Months MOT

If you're going through hell, keep going.
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: July 20, 2005, 02:48:20 am »

I can just see it painted black and gold with Team JPC decals!!!
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1105 on: July 20, 2005, 03:46:09 pm »

I can just see it painted black and gold with Team JPC decals!!!

Oh dear  Shocked  You'll be forming a MB Commer Appreciation Society next.

jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: July 20, 2005, 04:00:57 pm »

Jealousy will get you nowhere Steve!!!  Wink

Besides, I thought you might be joining us on MB next year as all you Cobra buddies were only going to The Classic??
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1107 on: July 20, 2005, 04:14:38 pm »

Besides, I thought you might be joining us on MB next year as all you Cobra buddies were only going to The Classic??

Hmmm, that's a possibility.  It MAY be in Dick's camper as well  Shocked

jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: July 20, 2005, 04:24:41 pm »

Hmmm, that's a possibility.  It MAY be in Dick's camper as well  Shocked

Tell him to paint it red and it could replace the lorry that's been missing from the funfair for the last three years!  Wink
Lancs Se7en
CA Veteran

I love it sideways

View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: July 20, 2005, 04:28:52 pm »

An alternative would be to purchase this and start from scratch Grin

* commer replacement.jpg (30.57 KB, 400x300 - viewed 341 times.)

Does it really only have full throttle
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 158   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: