Club Arnage
April 28, 2024, 01:33:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 100th edition of the Indy 500 in 2016 - Anyone else planning to go?  (Read 39239 times)
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 05:03:23 am »

Hey Dave, long time no hear from.  After a couple years away we're back onboard for Sebring, probably our usual gig of spending a few days with the aunts & uncles in Naples, then heading up to Sebring Fri. night-Sat. morning.  Tentatively on for the 500, definitely doing the Indycar race on the road course early in May.  We went over for that this past May and it was a really fun day, the IMS raod course is hardly a circuit for the gods, but a nice day of racing nonetheless, spent the whole day down in the infield portion.
Fax
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 09:57:30 am »

planning to go with Quuf and Henk... potentially neil as well Smiley

We should stay in touch - may be booking tickets together?

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2015, 10:54:48 am »

Update on my plans - Fax has provided me with some advice:

Camping:
"my favorite is the Coca-Cola Lyons camping area outside the northwest portion of the track (turn 4).  Its a massive field, no marked pitches, just first come first serve.  The price will very depending on how close to the track you wish to pitch your tent. "

Viewing:
"the short chutes between 1 & 2, and 3 & 4 are good spectating locations, I"ve sat in both areas, you'll see the overtaking coming off the straights, and most of the drama (spins, shunts, etc.) will be in full view."

Combining this advice on camping and viewing, it probably makes sense to try to get tickets for the short straight between turn 3 and 4

hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2015, 06:45:58 pm »

Hi Guys,
As Werner mentioned, I've offered up some advice on spectating and camping.  I've always preferred watching from Turn 1, or either short chute, or also on the exit of turn 4, stands H & J (Dave H, and I have spent a few years up there on race day, and a very silly Brickyard practice day).  The Vista's in each corner are terrific as well.  Tower Terrace is great for watching the pre-race ceremonies, and pit stops, but otherwise you tend to have a limited view of the action. Same with Paddock, you'll see them thump down the pit straight at 230+ mph, but because the cars tend to be against the wall, you'll need to be higher.
As far as camping, yes I recommend Lots 1 A,B or C, otherwise known as the Coke lots ,there's a large Coca Cola distribution facility in the middle of the lot, hence the name.  If your seats are at the north end of the speedway, these lots are a relatively short walk, we've always parked for race day, or camped in A or C. Plenty of lively partying over race weekend.  I've tacked on a map of IMS parking.  http://indymotorspeedway.com/500parking.html
Hope this helps,
Fax
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 07:15:15 pm by Boorish Grobian » Logged
Dirk3D_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Fussballing for Holland!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2015, 07:28:29 pm »

3 years ago i was in J stand, good spot

i understand from the guys at indy that B and E are already booked so need to be quick...

werner i plan to make applications for J, or the turn 3-4 vista areas. would you like me to add you to our booking? i will send you a PM, would like to finalise this booking prior before sunday preferably

Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2015, 10:25:25 am »

werner i plan to make applications for J, or the turn 3-4 vista areas. would you like me to add you to our booking? i will send you a PM, would like to finalise this booking prior before sunday preferably

I've answered you via facebook messenger, "J" is fine for me, please add 4 tickets for me.

Best

Werner

Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2015, 02:17:06 pm »

Stand J is a excellent choice, right at the exit of 4, opposite the pit entrance.  You'll see the cars sweep through 3, the short chute, 4, then down the pit straight.  It has a very nice view of the mass of humanity lining the pit straight on raceday.  You'll enjoy it very much.  It's been our seating location in our last eight or so trips, and in all likelihood our seating location this year as well.
Fax
Dirk3D_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Fussballing for Holland!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2015, 05:05:52 am »

excellent! just finalised the application, for 8 seats Smiley

however might have made a double application due to system errors, so sent the guys an email to confirm all is ok
Jason
CA Veteran

Has anyone booked my hospital room?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2015, 01:02:05 pm »

Now I have a job, I must get myself in gear to do this.

Wooosh!!!!
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2015, 03:14:38 am »

I sent an e mail to check last week but haven't had a reply. But since then I managed to log into my account and the choices I made for preferred tickets are registered on my account details so presumably its on their system somewhere in a queue being delt with hopefully.
Kristof
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2015, 12:52:06 am »

"Painful" decision, but I'm out for this one  Sad.  

Been working around my airmiles and WEC/ELMS schedules for 2016, and might be able to squeeze out enough budget (considering I've got credentials again and skipping Sebring, Imola, Indy500 & Goodwood) for a crazy September month : ELMS at Paul Ricard, WEC Mexico City, WEC Austin and ELMS Spa.  

Just worried about safety in Mexico City (although the track is near the airport so should be able to get a hotel with some kind of "safe" shuttle to the track).  

Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2015, 07:00:29 pm »

Shame you can't make it to either Sebring or Indy, I was looking forward to finally meeting you in person.  The wife & I will bookend our year with Sebring & the Petit, with some trips to Indy, and Mid-Ohio in between (also some dirt track action thrown in for good measure).
Fax
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2015, 07:20:05 am »

Yee-haw. Flights for next years Indy 500 are booked - airmiles are gone now. Agenda is now:

Monday 23rd May: Fly from Germany into Detroit, pick up a rental car, - get drunk with some former colleagues from work
Tuesady 24th May: Visit the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn - get drunk again with some former colleagues from work
Wednesday, 25th May: Drive from Detroit to Indianapolis, visit the Cord Duesenberg Museum in Auburn along they way. Arrive in Indy - camping in the Coke lot.
Wednesday, 26th May: Visit the Automobile Museum at the Indianapolis Speeday. Gosh, 3 museums in 3 days, I'll tell my wife I'll do a strictly cultural trip  Grin
Until 28th May: See what going on at the track and in the town - Carb day?
29th May: Race day.
30th May: Drop the rental in Indy, fly back home from there

Let's hope it doesn't rain on race day, otherwise I'll be f*cked...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 07:23:21 am by Werner » Logged

Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2015, 01:14:20 am »

Looks like a busy, but very enjoyable week.  Never been to the Cord Museum, but the Ford Museum at Greenfield Village is staggering, as is the IMS collection.  I've always been told what resides in the basement of the IMS Museum is even more breathtaking than what's on display.  I suspect some of the Ford collection will be in Indy for the month of May, especially Clark's 1965 Indy winning Lotus 38.
Fax
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2015, 04:46:40 am »

Hi Werner,
               That sounds like an excellent plan. I am envious of the Ford museum which I should get to some day. The other two I have been to and are well worth a visit. Have fun.
Phil
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: