Club Arnage
March 29, 2024, 09:08:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: long service!!  (Read 31153 times)
wishy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Shed's do track days!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2009, 09:12:45 am »

I've just had a tot up of the scores so far and with the 54 posts we have a culmative attendance of 695 years so far,which averages out at 12.87 years each.....not bad eh.

This total is upto Jules posting so far and our American friends have not contributed yet!!!

I have not included the classic visits either as I feel that is a separate issue Smiley

Wishy
Kristof
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2009, 11:19:35 am »

Started in 1996, and only missed 2000 and 2002 since then. 
This was my 12th Le Mans.

Simon13
CA Veteran

I hate the waiting!!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2009, 11:34:44 am »

I've just had a tot up of the scores so far and with the 54 posts we have a culmative attendance of 695 years so far,which averages out at 12.87 years each.....not bad eh.

This total is upto Jules posting so far and our American friends have not contributed yet!!!

I have not included the classic visits either as I feel that is a separate issue Smiley

Wishy

That's very impressive.  Maybe we should tot up the miles watched so we can do one of those 'how many times around the world' stats.
wishy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Shed's do track days!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2009, 12:55:58 pm »

Still got more attendances to put to the list .........I forgot to add Mini Wishy and Pretzel's other half as she is more of a petrol head than us!!!

The miles watched is an interesting option...........but for one thing some of CA don't even make it to the track let alone watch the race Grin

This year I watched the first 2 laps and the last 1/2 hour.......that equates to about 9 laps in total and Neil only watched 2 laps cos he is a lightweight and snook off early.....made some excuse that he had a ferry to catch.
pedersenkorsager

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2009, 10:03:42 am »

5th. time in a row for me. Startet out in one of those large Danish camps, but prefere to go there by car so the last 4 i organised a trip for a group of colleges (3 - 31 and growing)

The easy way to spot a Dane?
look for the hanging heads in the pitlane :-(
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2009, 10:45:12 am »

This year I watched the first 2 laps and the last 1/2 hour.......that equates to about 9 laps in total and Neil only watched 2 laps cos he is a lightweight and snook off early.....made some excuse that he had a ferry to catch.

Jeez Wishy even I watched more than that, I can see a change in name coming up... Wishy...LB It has a kind of ring to it

>Martini...LB

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
Dave H
CA Veteran

burrrrrrrrppppp

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2009, 04:12:19 am »

I've done 18, all from the USA - missed 98 when they moved the date due to the World Cup (and I was on honeymoon) and 05 when my daughter was born.

To be honest, it's getting to be a bit of an old chestnut.  I used to do LM, Indy, Talladega Diehard 500, Brickyard 400, Mid Ohio, Rolex, RA and Sebring (and USGP when it was on) as all part of my racing year, but I've lost the heart for all the farting around.  I couldn't give a toss about the racing at LM anymore (which is a shame).  Listening to diesels whispering around the track is truly crap and that's where the development's going to keep going.

It's just the company and the vast liquid stupidity that keep me coming.

I just don't think the atmosphere's at the Sarthe anymore.  Those days in the early 90s - at dusk in the esses, watching Saubers and Jags thunder through... all gone.
grumpy
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2009, 09:56:35 pm »

I think this year was my 18th.  First went on a coach trip in '86 to see the Jags and while I've missed a few (one year I booked a holiday in the Costas without checking when the race was and another year my ex-brother-in-law had his wedding that weekend) I can't imagine not going now.

One year I got fed up with the steady erosion of the old atmoshpere (the year they standardised the food stands - I liked merguez or brochettes barbecued on an oil drum) and didn't go.  I then realised that it's who you go with and what you do that makes the trip.  The cars may be dull (actually the diesels are very dull) but the ambience in the town centre on Friday isn't affected by that, nor is the quality of the champagne.

This year I went with a friend who was a complete novice and we had a whale of a time.  Roll on next year - I've got two more newbies to bring!
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2009, 10:17:05 pm »

I then realised that it's who you go with and what you do that makes the trip.  The cars may be dull (actually the diesels are very dull) but the ambience in the town centre on Friday isn't affected by that, nor is the quality of the champagne.

Well said!

Grin
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2009, 05:49:03 am »

10 years this year, plus a few 24 hour bikes - complete rubbish, dont do it, a few Moto GP's and the 1000kms of Le Mans in Nov 2002. - Also rubbish.

Take life by the horns and live it.
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2009, 05:51:46 am »

Listening to diesels whispering around the track is truly crap and that's where the development's going to keep going.

I just don't think the atmosphere's at the Sarthe anymore. 

I really hoped the French winning would have been the start of a mass party . . . but no.

The Bentley Years 01 02 and 03 were great. too much security and Police presence has slowed things down. Plus a little yob element.

Take life by the horns and live it.
Jem
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2009, 06:00:27 pm »

This year was my 25th on the run and I've also done one classic.

I miss the old pits and the pit balcony.  The old Welcome area was great for two things, one a good view from the top of the tower and two relatively clean bogs.

it cant be all that bad though as my two sons (23 AND 21) now come ( 3 times each ) and all they talk about all year is LM, so maybe some of the magic is still there, its just different.

Have we booked for next year................you betcha we have !

Jem
Lord Steve
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The only self appointed peer on Maison Blanche!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2009, 06:53:37 pm »

I fell into conversation on the way back last Monday with a couple of Newbies at Charles de Gaulle who reminded me of all the mistakes we made on our first trip all those years ago. Would you believe we actually turned up on MB without (a) food and worse (b) beer so I was immediately despatched to the shop for provisions.
For both of us just being there at the fabled Le Mans was enough in the days when the "Village" was just that, a dusty track with food and drink stalls. The atmosphere on the Saturday night was electric. Also, the cheap t shirts got cheaper the nearer you got to 4pm on the Sunday. I noticed that they don't anymore.

For me, I wouldn't miss it for the world. My annual pilgrimmage is a big part of my life but I do think that some things detract from the whole legend that is Le Mans:
1. Diesels. They just don't sound like sportscars.
2. The cost. Whilst the GA ticket is fantastic value compared with, say, Grands Prix, the campsites are getting more expensive. Compare Maison Blanche with Whittlebury Hall at Silverstone.
3. The "Corporate" Village. Lets face it, a lot of the people there are guests of the big teams, sponsors and big business interests and the numbers of true race fans seem to be getting less.

I hope I'm not being too cynical - I love the event, the place, the drivers, the cars, everything and only a full field of whispering diesels will kill it off for me but then I suspect it will do the same for most people.

Thank God for Corvettes!

I tested negative for patience.
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2009, 07:33:27 pm »

......the campsites are getting more expensive. Compare Maison Blanche with Whittlebury Hall at Silverstone.

Whilst I agree with most of your sentiments, Steve, I would take issue on this one.  I have said elsewhere that the ACO have never made a significant hike in any of their prices from one year to the next, the prices rising only by the odd euro or two.  The seemingly expensive nature of the tickets id down to the £ - € exchange rate.

Also, to compare with Whittlebury - for me, with caravan and electric - would cost £75 for thursday arrival......and strictly speaking I should order two plots as my 'van is over 6m.  So that compares nicely with the €80 for a pitch on Houx with arrival on the monday.  Admittedly, if you've only got a tent and don't need electric, it's a different matter.

In spite of all the changes at LM over the years, I'll take it any time compared to the souless dump called Silverstone, and they only run a quarter of a race there.........

Del

Team Delboy Racing
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2009, 08:33:19 pm »

That was the weather, Robbo. Dull, gray and cold - I remember the 1000 KM race a bit.  Roll Eyes I think it was in November. On the other hand this was the birth of the LMS as we know it now.

For me, this time was the 11th year (1999). I've never seen a non Audi win before (or Bentley or VW). That got me excited this year - I'm a virgin after all. I was a bit surprised that the French kept so quite about it. Still, I was so glad it wasn't Sebastian Bourdais on the top step. Mmh, maybe that was the reason.  Grin

Forgot to add: I met a chap from the USA this year who had his first visit in 1965 as a mechanic... that's impressive.  Shocked
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 08:44:39 pm by hgb » Logged

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: