Club Arnage
March 28, 2024, 02:03:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sebring 2013  (Read 50077 times)
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2013, 02:58:55 am »

Funny ... when I showed my IDP last year at the rental company (Dollar), they wouldn't accept it ...
Hi Dottore. Now that is funny  Grin Grin Grin
Phil
Bruichladdich Boy

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2013, 08:43:59 am »

Ken Breslauer, the Sage of Sebring brings us an update on the IDP situation in Florida

Statement from DHSMV on International Driving Permits

During the 2012 legislative session, the Florida Legislature amended section 322.04, Florida Statutes, to require visitors from outside the United States to have an International Driving Permit in order to drive lawfully in Florida. This change took effect Jan. 1, 2013.

It has come to the Department’s attention that this requirement may violate the Geneva Convention on Road Traffic (1949), an international treaty to which the United States is a signatory. Treaties to which the United States is a party preempt state laws in conflict with them.

Therefore, the Florida Highway Patrol will defer enforcement of violations of the amended statutory section until a final determination of the alignment of the amendment with the treaty can be made. Non-resident visitors to Florida who wish to drive while here will be required to have in their immediate possession a valid driver license issued in his or her name from another state or territory of the U.S. or from their country of residence. However, the FHP will not take enforcement action based solely on the lack of an International Driving Permit.
Maximum

Mad Max DFH

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2013, 03:14:02 pm »

The IDP is just an dictionary in a lot of languages and should be used together with your drivers permit of your own country.
available for 10 euro's at the dutch AA. Waste of money

Most credit card size drivers permit have class identifications with images of the type of the vehicle your allowed to drive.
Must be good enough for the Florida police a think.

2007 last time in florida and no problems with credit card size permit.

Live life to the Max
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2013, 03:30:22 pm »

The problem arises when the rental company refuse to give you a car because of no IDP - which Chris has alluded to above.
LangTall
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Llama's kick ass!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2013, 07:16:21 pm »

That is something I'm going to check. And an IDP costs 19,75 Max, nut just 10. ;-) Last 4 times in Florida no problem whatsoever with my old style pink license, but that was all with Alamo. Have to check what BA hooked me up with.

This film should be played at high volume, so don't come complaining about it! And who the hell is Steve?
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2013, 08:30:09 pm »

Most credit card size drivers permit have class identifications with images of the type of the vehicle your allowed to drive.
Must be good enough for the Florida police a think.
You must be wrong, as it looks like the Florida police can't read or identify images of cars etc.

I can understand if your licence was in Chinese, they'd want the Pekin AA to issue something in English

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Kristof
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2013, 12:05:24 am »

Few friends arrived in Daytona yesterday for the 500.  Rented a car at Hertz, didn't get asked for their IDP.

btw ... http://youtu.be/LQVNk6Wu6QA
Wo sind die Käfer ?  Grin

Dirk3D_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Fussballing for Holland!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2013, 05:54:46 pm »

i am not taking any risks

just bought an IDP at the dutch AA for 17,95 euro's

regards

Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2013, 06:49:41 pm »

i am not taking any risks

just bought an IDP at the dutch AA for 17,95 euro's
You have to be on the safe side, but what a rip off.  Its half the price in the UK, which comes as a shock.

I have to be a little politically incorrect now, but although I don't think we've met, my guess is that you hold a full driving licence, and there's a far higher chance that some of the locals in Florida don't.

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2013, 07:02:21 pm »

£5.50 here, IF you can easily get to one of the few Post Offices that do it. Otherwise an extra £2.50 for postal app, plus the cost of a photo...

The list of POs (did I do this before?)

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/apply-for-an-idp-at-a-post-office.html
Dirk3D_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Fussballing for Holland!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2013, 05:31:55 pm »

Hi Lorry, yes, I do have a full driving licence, and i have driven through 23 States (and will add 4 or 5 states in march) in the past 5,5 years, which is probably more states than most US citizens have seen in their life span...
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2013, 06:16:38 pm »

Actually we do like to get around a bit.  Americans are great vacationers, lots of stuff to see & do, the National Parks are a favorite of mine.  Seen most of the continental states, and Alaska.  Some states are completely forgettable (Texas), others stunningly beautiful, (Colorado & Wyoming)
Lorry, almost all Americans have a drivers license (there are a great many who shouldn't), its a vast country (England is roughly the size of my home state, Ohio) and tough to get around without one.
Fax
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 07:17:09 pm by Boorish Grobian » Logged
Dirk3D_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Fussballing for Holland!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2013, 07:23:49 pm »

love the national parks!

still need to go to northwest states, washington, oregon... and, according to you, to Wyoming Smiley
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2013, 08:40:16 pm »

The Pacific Northwest is absolutely gorgeous, I have a good friend who used to live in Redmond, Washington, now resides in Bend, Oregon.  Beautiful area.
If you get a chance to go to Yellowstone National Park, by all means go there.  It will take your breath away.
Fax
Kristof
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2013, 10:06:05 pm »

We're heading on to Vegas & Grand Canyon after Sebring, will try to add Valley of Fire also.
On the way to Fontana drive through Mojave NP & maybe Joshua Tree NP if we've got time enough.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: