Club Arnage
March 29, 2024, 04:12:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 100th edition of the Indy 500 in 2016 - Anyone else planning to go?  (Read 38865 times)
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2016, 01:38:01 am »

Hi Werner,
Would love to meet up for some brews on Saturday night, but unfortunately working until early Sat. evening.  We're going to make the drive over from Cincinnati early Sunday morning, I hope we can catch at some point on raceday, perhaps in the camping lot before everyone heads to the track.  We usually park right in that area where you guys will be camped.
Are any of you guys going to be in Indy this coming weekend (the 21 & 22)?  A few of us are heading over Saturday for qualifying,  That would be a great time to meet over some cold brews.
The weather has been unusally wet & cool the past few weeks, but it looks like a warmup to more normal May conditions is on the way later this week.
Fax
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 01:44:37 am by Boorish Grobian » Logged
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2016, 01:48:05 pm »

Afternoon Gentlemen,

Well I set off on my big Indy adventure on Friday morning and the Dutch / English contingent are setting off from Amsterdam today on their road trip to Indy. They arrive at Indy on Friday and will be meeting up with Werner and they are all staying on the Coke Lot Camping 1C.

I understand that there will be 8 of them in total.

I would still like to try and organise a group meet up after the race on the Sunday evening, possibly to all go somewhere for a meal together if we can find a place that can cater for our large group.
So who is up for meeting up and going out for a meal ?

Interested people that I know of so far,

My dad and myself = 2

Scott Hovanac + 1 = 2

Neil No Panic, Werner, Dirk and the other Dutch = 8

Hopefully , Fax, Matt and Dave Harper  ?

So what are your thoughts guys, are you up for it and if so what numbers can I expect so that I know how many we are dealing with when trying to find somewhere that can cater for us.

Also do any of you know a place or recommend a place to try as you probably have a lot more local area knowledge than me or the others.

I have race day parking on Lot 1 B which is next door to where the others are camping so should be easy to meet up after hopefully. Scott Hovanac however is parking away from the track and using the shuttle bus service, but sure we can sort out getting him back to his car afterwards if necessary.

Not sure what sort of access I will have too data whilst in Indy but should have wifi at the hotel so you message me then, or my mobile phone number is +44 7939 674168 if you want to stay in touch via text to make arrangements.

Anyway, over to you guys for your views and ideas.

Regards
Chris Clark

PS. Saturday evening I am going to Anderson Speedway for the Little 500 so not available for beers before the race, same Friday as going to the sprint cars at Bloomington.

This Saturday and Sunday I will be at the track but also heading off to some dirt track racing both evenings at Brownstown and Kokomo.
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2016, 02:04:20 pm »

Hi Werner,
I haven't been to the parade since I was a kid, but it always draws a big crowd in downtown Indy.
I found the 500 festival parade route here http://www.500festival.com/node/162.
Might be worth taking a drive over from the speedway.  Its a short drive from the track to downtown. There are several routes you can take to the parade route, but the easest is to take 16th east, past Methodist Hospital to Meridian, and then turn right (south).  https://www.google.com/maps/search/indianapolis+motor+speedway/data=!4m2!2m1!4b1?sa=X&hl=en&dg=dbrw&newdg=1
There's a lot of stuff to do downtown over race week, lots of parties, and there's a big memorabilia show, it used to be at the Indianapolis convention center, but I think it moved to a new location.
Fax
There is a memorabilia show at the track itself on Legends day (Saturday ) from 8 am to 5 pm in the Pagoda Plaza Pavillion, 96 vendors and free admission.
https://www.facebook.com/IndyMemorabilia/
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2016, 02:19:05 pm »

Hi Chris,

I would be in for a post race dinner, that's a great idea. But I cannot suggest a location, I'm new to Indy.

Best

Werner

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2016, 08:29:59 pm »

www.mikesspeedwaylounge.com

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2016, 10:36:58 pm »

Only issue with this place is its the complete opposite end of the speedway from where our seats are and camping / parking lots. I know dad won't walk that far so we may have to leave it a bit after the race and then drive there once traffic quietens down.
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2016, 02:51:56 am »

Hi Chris,
            This one on West 25th Street is very nice. Only one I have been to more than once  Smiley
http://www.unionjackspeedway.com/

The traffic clears remarkably fast after the race. I remember waiting for a friend who had to file his story and 40 minutes after the race there were less than 12 cars left in the lot and the road was empty. You will need to plan though as ALL roads are made One Way out and away from the Speedway.

Phil 
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2016, 05:17:00 am »

I think its unlikely we will be able to make the dinner, while I'm certainly up for it, we're going to be travelling over from Cincy with a small entourage on raceday, and I suspect they're going to be wanting to head back east shortly after the race.
As Phil said, the streets are all one way away from the Speedway after the race, and they become very congested with both pedestrian, and auto traffic.  The Speedway is located in what is largely a residential area, and Georgetown and 25th in particular are very heavy with spectators on foot.
I'm definitely hoping I can catch up with some of you on race morning, we will be there bright & early to beat the traffic. And as I mentioned, I will be there all day this Saturday for qualifying if anyone is around, and wants to share some shits & giggles.
Fax
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 06:30:02 am by Boorish Grobian » Logged
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2016, 09:03:42 pm »

For those coming over for the 500, the museum is a must see while your here.  Racer magazine has a nice gallery of photos from the museum, gives a good idea of what's on display currently.  The Penske display is very cool with the Porsche 917/30, and the Trans-Am cars.
Fax
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/129656-gallery-ims-museum-tour-penske-exhibit#!2016Indy500_MarshallPruett_Museum518__165
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/129668-gallery-ims-museum-tour-part-2#!2016Indy500_MarshallPruett_Museum518__260
Dirk3D_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Fussballing for Holland!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2016, 07:32:31 pm »

sadly we missed about all of you last weekend... it was a blast, but sooo busy!

well maybe another time Smiley
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2016, 01:20:34 am »

Agreed, it was shame we couldn't meet up, but between working Saturday, and the lunacy of trying to get in on race morning (traffic was more of a bear than usual), it just wasn't in the cards.  We parked in the back of the Coke lot, chugged a quickie beer, and headed straight into the track.
Terrific, hard fought race, with a unexpected, and popular winner.
I hope everyone who came over had a great time in Indy.
Fax
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2016, 11:20:36 am »

Hi Fax,

yes, sad we couldn't meet, may be next time. Indy was a blast, we all had a great time. Perfect weather, a super-exciting race, lots of fun, the whole week end has definitely exceeded my expectations. I've put some pictures on the web, for those who want to look: https://goo.gl/photos/zTpCbdxqZn4DyNoU6

* _the_band_at_indy.jpg (677.28 KB, 1200x800 - viewed 288 times.)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 11:22:54 am by Werner » Logged

hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2016, 06:17:36 pm »

I'm really glad you guys had a great time, I was a bit concerned about the race week weather when the early forecast's came out.  I would liked to have spent more time over there than we did, but work has been crazy, six day work week's the norm since Christmas.
Indycar is going through something of a resurgence of late, with a influx of terrific young talent.  After two difficult decades, I'm hoping Indycar can keep the momentum building.
Watching them in person lapping the speedway at 230 mph is still breathtaking to me, even after all these years.
From your photos it looks like you were just a couple of sections over from us in Stand J, we were in section 13. If you saw some goofball walking around in that area wearing a Graham Rahal Steak n Shake shirt, good chance it was me.
Fax
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 06:38:53 pm by Boorish Grobian » Logged
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2016, 10:10:53 pm »

From your photos it looks like you were just a couple of sections over from us in Stand J, we were in section 13. If you saw some goofball walking around in that area wearing a Graham Rahal Steak n Shake shirt, good chance it was me.
Fax

Ah sh*t, we really just missed us, I was in stand j, section 14, row p, place 12

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: