Club Arnage
April 28, 2024, 08:02:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Snow!!!!  (Read 54726 times)
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2009, 01:53:43 am »

When I was a kid in God's Country, ie the valleys of South Wales = Trelwis. The schools never closed and that is with a over a foot of snow.

It was quicker to walk than pay threehalfpence fare which ment more on sweets laugh

The Health and Safety brigade are ruining this country.

The school instructed us in building Igloes etc, that were still there in April - well the remains were.

What the hell is this frigging going to?

At my age, it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, growing old is compulsary, but growing up is just optional.

I don't do GREEN, I've got a 4x4
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2009, 01:55:40 am »

LPP, you are a 'dirty old man' mate  Evil

At my age, it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, growing old is compulsary, but growing up is just optional.

I don't do GREEN, I've got a 4x4
JDS
Club Arnage Demi God

Moi, enivré? Sûrement que vous me moquez monsieur?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2009, 09:08:04 am »

No snow here (France, 17) at all, just sun & blue skies but have a week working at home 'cos my flight back to Gatwick on Monday was cancelled. Could have got in on Tues but weather for Thurs/Fri (more snow over London/SE) made it look like getting back here for the weekend would be a mission at best, so time to break out the VPN in anger (and spent yesterday afternoon trying to dig out a particular truculent tree-stump with little success).
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2009, 02:22:36 pm »

When I was a kid in God's Country, ie the valleys of South Wales = Trelwis. The schools never closed and that is with a over a foot of snow.

It was quicker to walk than pay threehalfpence fare which ment more on sweets laugh

The Health and Safety brigade are ruining this country.

The school instructed us in building Igloes etc, that were still there in April - well the remains were.

What the hell is this frigging going to?

Things have changed here now I'm sorry to say, just like the rest of the UK.

I work in the valleys and we were sent home from work at 11:00am yesterday morning because of the conditions at that time. I understand that some of my colleagues have to negotiate a few gradients here and there, but where's their sense of adventure and surely they are used to it? The driving conditions weren't that bad, even in a reasonably powerful car. 3 hours later it was gloriously sunny and picturesque with perfectly clear roads.

On the schools front I'm sure you are right regarding 'elf an safety'. I heard a discussion on the radio this morning and the reason being given for schools closing was that if the school was open and the child (or the child's parent) were injured in their attempt to get to the school then the school could be open to a lawsuit for compensation. What bo**ocks!

Where's the health and safety assessment for the poor unfortunate kids - 1 killed & 3 injured, whilst sledging on their enforced day off?

Rant mode off..........

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2009, 05:09:37 pm »

Pleased to say the school that my daughters go to was open yesterday. They are 8 so go to junior but the secondary school, about 400 yard away was closed!

The headteacher made a point of calling all the teachers and was on site at 5am helping the caretaker clear snow etc. There are some good ones about!

However as the classes where only about half full, maybe it was a wasted effort?

On the work front of the 3 people that walk to work, only one made it, it was too slippery for the other 2. That shall be remembered!

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
mike(liverpool boys)
Club Arnage Demi God

If in doubt,flat out! - Colin McRae

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2009, 09:19:06 am »

The snow has arrived in scotland! Only a couple of inches but obviously enough to worry the van as its just drifted itself off the road and buried its arse axle deep in snow and sh*te. Rear wheel drive vans suck!

They have lumps of what round the back???
nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2009, 09:24:19 am »

Oh this is going to be fun,

have to drive from Chester to Rotherham this afternoon to do a job at a retail park tonight. Once thats finished then have to drive back tonight or early morning - rear wheel, 4 ton, fully loaded and top heavy cherry picker! (with no abs) - emmm looks like it could be fun?

Its been fun sliding around the local roads with it already.

Any office jobs going anywhere?  Wink
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 09:28:31 am by nopanic - neil » Logged

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Doris
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Eating's Cheating!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2009, 12:01:34 pm »

Any office jobs going anywhere?  Wink

You can have my job if you like.  I got the office at 9 this morning only to find the building locked and the handful of staff that had made it in standing in the car park chatting.

Once someone with a key turned up a few of us spent the next hour shovelling snow so people have a fighting chance of getting their cars out when they go home in an hour. 

Dx

Live imperfectly and with great delight.
Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

I'd rather have another Tropillama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2009, 12:02:26 pm »

Now here is a question for you.  When Snow thaws where doe all the white go?

t.

La Légend s` écrit sous vos yeux.
Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

I'd rather have another Tropillama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2009, 06:39:29 pm »

Now here is a question for you.  When Snow thaws where dose all the white go?

t.

the white bit is easy, what i want to know is where does the yellow stuff go Huh

Not sure But I do know you shouldn't eat the Yellow Snow.

t

La Légend s` écrit sous vos yeux.
nickliv
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2009, 08:09:48 pm »

Well, we got a decent dump this morning after 3 days of no snow.

The airport was shut for 4 hours, the sweepers just couldn't keep up at all.

And this afternoon we mostly went sledging. Piece of DPM / Visqueen outperformed the 'proper' sledge.

For tomorrow I may nail an old door,  and a pair of old skis together.......

Lord Pig-Pen
Club Arnage God

it's all a bit much at my age.... Ich Habe.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2009, 01:30:54 am »

For tomorrow I may nail an old door, 

Dear?..... Watch yor spellind der buoy

« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 01:32:57 am by Lord Pig-Pen » Logged

What do you mean dust?.... Thats not dust, this is dust! Ich Habe Honda S2000 and its not mine!
Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2009, 11:08:57 am »

My house is at the bottom of a steep lane with only 6 houses in it. We have woken up to deep snow three times this week and Mrs U has had to leave her Beemer at home, because it is useless if there is even a sniff of frost or snow. She has  traveled  into work with me in my trusty Landy Disco which got out of our lane with no problem whatsoever. Once out of the village and onto the main roads we have come to a grinding halt as we join the rest of the country that comes to a standstill after a few flakes of snow.

So Mr Brown, the answer. Either have seperate lanes for all us sensible folk that own a 4x4 so we don't have to crawl along behind Joe Public in his Fiesta or Nissan Micra.

Or. Make it compulsary for every family to own a Land Rover. 

Think of the advantages of the second option.

This would ensure job security for, we hope, British workers. Also, it would put an end to the crawl to work or absenteeism caused by the inclement weather. Thus, no halt in production which will give us a head start on Jonny Foreigner.

So Clarkeson has been right all along. If the tree huggers disagree, let them keep their pissy little Prius's and we can all laugh and tell them to f**k off when they need a tow out of a 2 inch snow drift.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 11:10:42 am by Bob U » Logged

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2009, 12:07:38 pm »

The 355 horse rear wheel drive Monaro has been left to slubber at home all this week and Mrs B has let the train take the strain.

Steve East Anglian cobras

redstu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Buuuuurp!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2009, 12:30:49 pm »

After the horror of waking up to find 10mm of the stuff on monday , yet another heavy fall of up to 4mm in places last night. Poor kids round here must be feeling totally deprived with all the coverage of all the fun down south.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: